• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eberlestock Gunslinger II

FALex

Headmaster of Romper Room
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
USA
Well, I finally pulled the trigger on an Eberlestock pack. I really got onto the Eberlestock packs after seeing one in action during a local competition. I was running a drag bag/mat combo, which was fine, but after seeing the ease with which the Eberlestocks function, I had to get one. What attracted me the most was that damn rifle scabbard running up the center of the pack.

Because I wanted the pack to be able to double as a hunting pack, I was going to go with the Dragonfly. Unfortunately, the scabbard on that model is just not wide enough to accomodate a tac rifle, so I ended up with the Gunslinger II. It does not have the volume capability of the Dragonfly, but it is still one hell of a pack.

I'm just curious to know if any of you folks had any experience with any of these packs? They have a lifetime warranty, but I don't expect to have to use it!

Re: Eberlestock Gunslinger II

I got my gs2 off ceylon last year and use it for day trips on the hills.Its well made and comfy on your back.I fit my 40xb in AICS with s&b in no probs.perfect for day trips or at a push an overnight.if your planning on staying out and need more gear then maybe the operator would be a good choice

The Dragonfly military pack will accomodate a tac rifle. It's the reason I went with it over the regular Dragonfly......a bigger scabbard. I sold a GS II to get it. The GSII is a great pack but the Dragonfly packs weight a lot better and is the perfect backpacking, hunting do all pack for my uses. Definitely give Ceylon a call.

J107M http://www.eberlestock.com/J107M%20Dragonfly.htm

i have had my GSII for a few years now and have used it all over in hunting situations in ID, NE, MN, AK. I also use if for almost every trip to the range.

I am a pack whore. I have WAY to many, but the GSII is always what I grab. I have had no material or other malfunctions.

GSII is GTG

I love my GSII. I was able to consolidate from 3 range bags (AR, bolt gun, pistol) down to two (AR/pistol gear in the GSII, bolt gun in the soft case). Once I can get an additional scabbard on the GSII, I can ditch the soft case too!

My only regret is getting it in FDE instead of Multicam. Anyone wanna trade? =)

sorry, Sentry, I also went with the FDE...

last night I moved all of my hunting gear from my older hunting pack to the GS II. What used to fill 3/4 of my old pack up, now barel fills 1/4 of the GS II. Looks like it's going to be fine for my purposes.

I did see the Dragonfly Tactical, but I'm in a situation, wherein, I get to buy what the store has, and nothing else. Maybe one day...

Have both the gunslinger 2 and the operator in dry earth. Have used them for everything from short hunts to long camping trips. Wouldn't trade them for anything, and Ceylon is a true class act...

I run the GS 2 for matches, but have found that it is a pain in the ass to get the pack on my back with my rifle flopping around and the bag loaded with gear. My rifle is a TRG with a 26" barrel and a break so it is prettty top heavy, I now just carry my rifle. My next complaint is the top utility pouch that seems to dump all of your stuff out when you un zip it while the bag is laying on the ground.
No complaints on the quality of the pack, I'm just gonna look for a little different style next time.
SScott

The phantom is larger and scabbard detaches, which is nice.

I had (and loved) a phantom for quite a while, and though I sometimes miss it I do not regret selling it because it has forced me to weed out little used gear and carry less crap. It was almost 8lbs empty, which is nothing for a combat pack but when you are hiking, camping, or hunting above 8k feet every pound adds to the misery. For the same reason, i've gone to somewhat smaller contour/length barrels and invested in carbon fiber stuff too. Not an issue for everyone, but it is in my AO.

I rock an eberlestock x-3 now, and it's a great pack. Smaller and the scabbard does not come off, but it is several pounds lighter. Also it does not have a hood on the scabbard, though I'm sure you could buy one from eberlestock separately. I like the newer "breathable" padding on the x-3's back panel much more than my older phantom had. I'm not sure if this is unique to the x-3 or if they all have the hollow "brillo" type padding now.

On a related note, buy the eberlestock rain cover if your model does not come with it. They are very nice and worth every penny of the $25 or so they go for.

When I need extra room but not a huge pack, i've got a Kifaru back pouch that I can hook on. Yes you can use them on the eberl packs if you are "creative". If I don't stuff too much shit in it, the rain cover still fits decently. Worked perfectly on the phantom, a bit more cumbersome on the x3 but it's handy if you need someplace to stuff a coat or other fairly light gear that can't find a home inside the pack.

Rifle capacity aside, both packs easily outshined my old camelback motherlode 500 for comfort and durability (thought the cb was no slouch either). Eberlestock tactical packs are tough as nails and quite comfy compared to other offerings out there.

I have not had a gsII but I could see adding one to my collection. Though I don't know if I really need more than the x-3.

Just some food for thought, ymmv.

FALex,

I have several customers that use the GS-II extensively. All are hard users and are very happy with the setup. I would guess that a rifles with longer barrels might throw the CG a bit high when in the scabbard but otherwise these have been working great.

Ceylon is absolutely top notch to work with. You wont be dissapointed with anything related to him or his business.

I have a small group of rifles with a state police agency very close to you that has been running them hard for two years and they love them. BTW, they regularly access certain remote areas on foot, so their packs don't just sit in the back of a unit.
4-15-2011003a-1.jpg

4-15-2011031a-1.jpg

thanks a lot for the input, everyone...I'm going to run the GSII for awhile and see how it works for me. This Saturday will be the trial run!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FALex,

I have several customers that use the GS-II extensively. All are hard users and are very happy with the setup. I would guess that a rifles with longer barrels might throw the CG a bit high when in the scabbard but otherwise these have been working great.
</div></div>

Yeah, I can confirm that. Using my precision rifle with my GSII is something of a pain in the ass (24 inch barrel). With my AR it's great. If you're going to use it with a long barrel, or with a big optic, I think that they recommend you get a side scabbard for it.

X-3 has the same scabbard, works really well for my aac-sd (20") and a normal sized scope. My 24" varmint .223 gun does stick out quite a bit more, so i'd be inclined to agree about the COG shift with a long rifle.

I put my 16 lb. 27" barreled RUM in mine with scope and pod barrel end up and it seems to work fine. It has a McM. sniper fill stock so the balance is good. It's kind of like a sniper rifle golf bag for my use and I love it. Great way to tote that beast around for any distance that it is nesessary for me to walk it. But I must admit I am not doing much billygoat type stuff either. A-1 piece of equip. though.

I pick up an Eberlestock X3 pack after my old pack died. Its like the swiss army knife of packs. They put a lot of time working on the design. It works as a rifle case for my 28" barreled R700 with a Vortex scope and bipod installed. The straps that lock the scabbards top cover, can also secure the rifle in place if your carrying situation requires quick access. The lower section of the scabbard can be rolled up and held out of the way with a locking strap. That will permit you to use it as a everyday pack or to travel with.

The back side of the pack has padding that is well laid out, so the rifle isn't digging into your back. Eberlestock has a great shoulder strap set up. The entire shoulder harness is adjustable, allowing you to change the carry height of your load. The padded waist harness helps redistribute the carry weight. Much like the shoulder harness it is fully adjustable, or can be removed when not needed.

Inside the upper section is a slot for a laptop, along with 2 panels to hydration bladders. There is an internal shelf that separates the 2 sections or can be folded flat to carry longer items inside.

Eberlestock offers a great line of packs. A true testament to that is watch how quickly they sell when they are listed on the SH exchange forum. My bladder and scabbard cover will be here tomorrow, I can post pic if anyone is interested.

As a hunter, I bought a Gunrunner and wish I had bought the gunslinger instead. I will probably get rid of the gunrunner as there's just not enough room. The scabbard rocks but I've learned to keep your rifle ready, unless walking in and out in the dark. Period.

well, I brought it out yesterday on a day hunt. I have a 24" 5r mil spec, which did stick out but not enough to preclude the cover from covering the entire rifle. I did not find the CoG to be off, but then again, it was my first time running it. I will try packing it with one of my AR's to see if there is an inherent difference. All in all, I believe it is a keeper, either way.

I just ordered an X3 from ceylonc, it should be here next week. Just one question that I have. How do you secure the rifle in the scabbard without it flopping around on long hauls? I'm going to be doing some 40 mile / 30 hour humps with it in the spring and I don't want a constant center of gravity change due to the rifle moving around.

I'm doing a good bit of FOB-hopping this go-round, and have the Gunslinger (original) that I got off the hide in 2009 (really wish I could remember who I got it from) as my go-to so I don't have to sling my M4 for every osprey/hawk ride. it's got room-a-plenty for 3-4 days' clothes and the various other small stuff i need to take along. Typically to secure the rifle in the scabbard, I'd just toss a couple rolled-up pairs of socks, t-shirts, or a towel or something to keep things snug.

That said, I used to hunt with it, but am going to be sticking to Mystery Ranch from now on for that use.

Eberlestock GSII is GTG. I use my extensively. Also, the company is very easy to talk to and order with direct. No complaints!

I have the G4 operator and the Phantom. Both are good and each have some neat features. Overall I think the G4 is the better pack, but I like the detachable gun sheath on the phantom yet it's not necessary. I got the best customer service from Santana Outdoors and the service was phenomenal. They threw in a lot of freebies to like two bladders and a butt bucket.

The eberlestock website has videos on most ofthe packs. It helped me in making my decision