• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eberlestock Hi Speed II

Tree

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2018
MN (Frozen tundra)
I am looking for a pack for 1 day matches as well as CD style matches. Does anyone use one of these? If so what are your thoughts? Also open to other recommendations. I don’t bring the kitchen sink so don’t need a large pack.

I just got the lo-drag version (same pack with an attached scabbard) for the same type use. I really wanted a secure (read:“not a sling” and “not a goofy butt-pouch and strap”) way to carry the gun on in/out moves. We’ve been weathered out of all the recently scheduled matches but here are my thoughts after a trip to the range and plenty of messing around at the house.

Pluses:
The pack is comfy, has all the usual adjustments, seems well constructed. I had tried other E-stock packs and couldn’t get the smaller size to adjust big enough (tall) for me so I bought the M/L. I feel like I’m in the bottom half of the adjustment...at 6’0”, 200#, I must have a long, relatively lean torso and be right between sizes. Consequently, the shoulder straps seem to have super long tails (more barrel chest might use more strap length and if you are extra tall, there would be less). The wand pockets (commonly referred to as water bottle pockets) on the sides are big enough to accommodate a full size RRS-type tripod which can be secured under the compression straps. I initially thought the “document” sleeve in the back was a waste of space and materials but it turns out it is a nice place to secure a range book, COF, or maybe some target material (if it fits).

Complaints:
I would like the pack to have more internal dividers/pockets. As it is, it’s kind of just several large-ish buckets. My old standby range bag has two smaller pockets, a main space and a small zipper pocket. I’m finding it difficult to organize the usual stuff into “big pocket A”, “big pocket b”, or “big pocket C”. So, for example, another couple of zippered pockets would be nice for things like tools, tripod clamp/plate accessories, stuff I carry like a small sunscreen, bug spray, tape measure, spare eye pro, etc. As it is, that stuff will need an accessory pouch or will just rattle around loose in “big pocket A”. On the same topic, I’m a little frustrated that the various pockets are attached together in such a way that filling one uses space from another. So if you stuff “big pocket a” with stuff, you have little to no room in adjacent “big pocket b”. Finally, the way the zippered pouches open down/out and are stacked (inner and outer, as it relates to the frame) means that if the pack is standing upright, you have heavy objects in the “outer” pouch and you start the zippers open and let go, the pouch lid (and attached adjacent pocket) will flop open and dump the contents of any open pocket. I’m sure I’ll get used to managing this but it has annoyed me so far.

Hope that helps. Despite my complaints, I’m going to keep working with this pack. I had also looked at the Mystery Ranch 2-day Assault Pack which would be perfectly sized for my needs as a range bag/single day, non-walking match bag.

I am looking for a pack for 1 day matches as well as CD style matches. Does anyone use one of these? If so what are your thoughts? Also open to other recommendations. I don’t bring the kitchen sink so don’t need a large pack.
I have a HiSpeed II and like it VERY much.

I did pull off the waist band strap as I find it big and clunky and I'm not using this pack for any serious hiking....just to the range. Its removable and I can always just put it back on if I do find a need.

I kind of like the larger pockets without a whole lot of dividers or little pouches in there. I lay the bag on its back and everything zips open easily and I have good access.

Cheers

I have the x31 lowdrag II and im a fan. So far i have covered around 20 miles with it this year and it is very comfortable. The only complaint i have is the straps.i find that they are long and when everything is sinched down there is a lot extra. Im probably going to cut them off sooner or later to fix that problem.

A lot of guys I shoot with use the Highspeed II, and they all really seem to like it.

I have been contemplating the purchase for a while now as I would like to place my heavier items such has bags and ammo in the lower section, while leaving space in the top for lighter items.

I've just bought a Euro X1e which is very similar.
There are enough pockets that you can keep your stuff well separated and organized, which is why I wanted the pack.

Most complaints about Eberlestock packs are that they are heavy, which I'd have to agree with but not to the point I don't like the pack.
My biggest complaint is that the pack is too big for a day pack/match pack, that is obviously a personal opinion and one i knew going into it but I wish could have the same pack but about 75% the size.

Eberlestock's are heavy, but they're heavy for the reasons that people like them. All those pockets, straps, compartments, etc. add up. A similar sized "hiking" pack will be much lighter, but it will also just be a hollow vessel. Also, I wouldn't cut the straps. Just use electrical tape and wrap the ends. You never know when you might need the extra or if you want to sell it at a later date.

I just bought the hi-speed and have moved in. It’s my every day plus concealed weapon tote. It sits in the passenger seat with all pockets facing me, with my “essentials” in the top main compartment. It comes to my office and sits desk-side. It goes with me all day. Love it. I get some of the complaints but I had a cherry bomb pack before this and hated it.