• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eberlestock or Mystery Ranch ?

Fred @ Bison Tactical

Bison Tactical
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 18, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    www.bisontactical.com
    Talked to Ceylon already about the Eberlestock and sounds like the Warhammer would fit me best. Took a quick look at the Mystery Ranch, and wanted to get folks opinions on the comparison. Any major differences between the two companies?

What I am looking for is:

Current need:
    Elk hunting for 1 week. Will be using the pack to carry elk quarters and rifle, and a few other small day items. Not camping out of the pack this trip.

Later desires:
    Hiking to remote shooting areas, possible general backpacking.

I think the warhammer was the winner because of the external frame design for the heavy load of Elk meat. Any suggestions on Mystery Ranch products? I see quite a few on the website that have an external pack, and I hear great things about the Eberlestock packs, don't hear a lot about the Mystery Ranch though...

Re: Eberlestock or Mystery Ranch ?

I have been extremely pleased with the Eberlestock pack I got from Ceylon a couple years ago. It survived two deployments to Afghanistan and dozens of missions in the eastern province. It's the best ruck I've ever had, and it will be on my back for elk hunting in three weeks.

DSCN7171.jpg

Mystery ranch hands down. Evacuated this Afghan soldier down to a LZ in one of my soldiers Nice Overload, his name was Saddam Hussain, no shit. Also carried 5 gal water cans in it. This thing is the shit. All of my team used Mystery Ranch packs and loved them. One of our teams all had Eberlstock packs and a couple of them switched. The Nice frame is amazing and it tough as they come.

alishang.jpg

If you have specific questions about them, let me know and I will try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Victory, I have a question...How are the MR's for strapping and lashing stuff to the outsides? Like a bow, ground blind, extra clothes, spotter and tripod (think you have tripods on the sides in your picture) etc? And have you guys ever just swapped bags and/or added load cells to the Nice Frame for specific needs? If so how'd that work out?

I have a Blue Widow and so far I have no complaints, but I don't know if it could take a big load like a MR could. But the MR Longbow was the other pack I considered. It didn't look as versatile as the Blue Widow so I went that route. Looking back I think buying that Nice Frame and then maybe their day pack and then adding load cells for other needs would have been the way to go.

Thanks

Herofish, here is a review I found with the MR Crewcab, with the lid and extra load cells being used when needed. If you get an elk down you could take out a load with your gear and drop the extra crap and go back in with just their load sling and frame.

http://muledeercountry.com/tag/mystery-ranch/

Ive strapped 3mag shingles, grenades, tripods, sleeping bags, rifles, and half of a Barrett to the outside of my pack. Our packs hauled 75 to 115lbs around the mountains without a hick up.

Guys switched bags a lot depending on who was carrying what and what the mission was. The NICE frame makes it easy.

FWIW, My eberlestock gunslingerII had stitching come undone after about 15 hours total in the mountains. I cannot comment on the MR or other models.

I own a Mystery Ranch Nice frame with several different pack bags. I have hunted in Alaska, Idaho and New Mexico on several occasions. Out of all the different packs I have carried, the Nice frame setup is by far the most stable, most comfortable platform I've tried. I have loaded it two different times with over 100 pounds of meat with no failures. Both my hunting partners have done the same. The quality components and workmanship are second to none! You won't be disappointed in Mystery Ranch!

Eberlestock for quick trips, Mystery Ranch for long haul or deep woods packing stuff.

As an example, my X3 LoDrag is my range bag/cabin-hunting pack. Carries everything I need it to and nothing I don't for whitetail hunting, even if I'm out late and want to spend the night outside. More than a couple days and I'm out of room, with any of the Mystery Ranch larger packs, not an issue, and the NICE frame is tits.

I have a Mystery Ranch Dragon Slayer and it is my do all pack. It's even the perfect size for flying.
    For carrying out elk, I think the crew cab would probably work best. You can haul a lot in that thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: victory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

alishang.jpg

If you have specific questions about them, let me know and I will try to answer them to the best of my ability.</div></div>

What are the names of the 2 packs on the left?

From left to right

3 day assault with load cells and sleeping bag strapped on the outside, SATL, NICE Overload, SATL

Cheers

Thanks. Did they make the 3 day pack on a NICE frame in a slightly larger version? I bought a pack off of ebay and it is identical to my 3 day pack other than the load cells attached on the side, slightly larger scaled, and on a NICE frame? It looks just like the pack on the far left.

I have an eberlestock and I like it a lot. But after reading this thread I kinda wish i would of heard about the Mystery Ranch before I made my purchase. It looks like a Bad Ass Pack.

I used my Eberlestock dragonfly to pack out an elk minis the head in two trips. The first load was a front and rear quarter boned out, the second was the same plus the hide strapped to the out side of the pack. I weaghd the pack when I got home and the load with the hide was 128 pounds. The pack was vary comfortable even with the heavy load.

Eberlestock is a great pack, specifically if you want to pack a rifle really easy.
    Otherwise, MR go mystery ranch for sure.

Check out Kifaru as well. I own a few of their packs.
    They also make dedicated hunting packs as well as umpteen thousands of accessories and variations to get you set up exactly how you need to be.
    Lots of rocky mt hunters swear by their stuff.

Are the MR pacs made in USA?

Eberlestock is not

I second the kifaru here... Super durable, well made (USA), and generally light for the load capacity/volume.

My kifaru zulu (insanely large capacity, I've carried 5 gallon buckets of rock inside it) was over 1 lb lighter than my X3 - Partially because it doesn't have the scabbard that an X3 has.

As mentioned above, many days, heavy load, Kifaru or MR.

Wanting the easy rifle scabbard, elberlestock is hard to beat.

I have done things to my Kifaru zulu this year that would make any pack manufacturer cringe, and it's still hauling loads like it was brand new.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: finbox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are the MR pacs made in USA?

Eberlestock is not </div></div>

Yes, they are made in USA - Bozeman, MT.

I would also recommend Kifaru (also USA made). Tough as nails, with lots of packs that you can choose from and customize with MOLLE kit. They have great suspension systems.

Whatever direction you go, make sure that you roughly fit the length of the pack's stays to your torso length. If the pack is too short, you will not be able to get the weight off your shoulders and onto the belt, and the pack will suck for you, be it a Eberlestock, MR, Kifaru, whatever.

Found these pics going through my stuff. We had practiced using the packs as an alternative if needed for carrying a wounded guy, which lead us to putting the ANA guy in the pack in Astan.

Pack wearer is about 5'8" and 155lbs
    In the pack 6'2" and 190lbs

He was able to run and be fully functional with the pack on. The pack worked and never broke with this much weight in it even though we were trying to find its limits. Thought you guys might like to see this.

MC2.jpg

MR1.jpg

+1 for MR, I have the eberlestock skycrane II doesn't work well with bodyarmor the MR does. I just wish MR had a similar way to carry your long gun in it. They do carry mortar tubes and m107's very well though.

I wish the straps on the eberlestock were like the ones on the MR
    it would be perfect then.

Have used eberlestock, MR, and Kifaru. For serious hauling, I only have MR left. For light hauling, any number of other packs will serve equally well. I love the MR Nice frame and the adjustability of frame size/back length. Kifaru was a big disappointment to me because it is tailored to one size: if you guess wrong oh well. The MR is totally adjustable. Only complaint about the MR is they run heavy: guess that is the price for bullet-proof comfort.

To be honest, after all these years and miles walked with packs, my old Alice pack stands out as one of the better ones: light-weight, comfortable, durable, and capable of hauling as much as I could. Maybe this opinion is in the minority....but I think the trusty Alice has a lot going for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kifaru was a big disappointment to me because it is tailored to one size: if you guess wrong oh well. The MR is totally adjustable. Only complaint about the MR is they run heavy: guess that is the price for bullet-proof comfort.
    </div></div>

Kifaru packs with the Omnitech suspension are NOT adjustable for stay length. However, all the others are length of stay adjustable, with very fine tuning possible. Their Omnitech line is basically meant for lighter loads - EDC type; whereas the Wraptech and Duplex are meant for the heavy loads - 3-day plus type.

I love my Kifaru Zulu, but for your elk trip I would lean toward the Mystery Ranch for the load hauling capabilities outlined above. Both Kifaru and Mystery Ranch blow Eberlestock away in my opinion.

thanks for all the suggestions guys. To Scooter-Pie I was looking at Eberlestock's version of the alice pack (warhammer) but decided to go with a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab. I got a Kifaru gun bearer in sort of a non-standard config to fit the MR pack - its a mix of the military version and the Kifaru specific version. I actually get the MR today if UPS is to be believed. Trip is in about 2 weeks so I will be testing it out in the interim.

I also like that they are hand made here in the US, not like some of the others.

Just as an update in case anyone runs across this later - I used the MR Crewcab on my Elk hunt, with 0 issues. I really didn't stress it too much as we didn't get an Elk this time. I have another shot in 4th rifle though - so maybe I will have an update with carrying more of a load then. The Kifaru Gun bearer worked really well with this, and loaded with all of about 30 lbs it felt like a day pack. The only down side is the Crewcab doesn't come with the internal large rifle strap like the SATL or the others do. The Gun bearer is nice for fast access, but for long hauls, I figure I would strap something on the outside or if it fits, put it in the load bay and strap it down.