• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eberlestock or Tac Ops drag bag?

PhOnEpHrEaK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2006
Salem, Ohio
I own a Tac Ops drag bag and I can't speak highly enough of this thing. But lately I find myself packing my rifle around quite a bit on my back. While it is comfortable with just the rifle. Once I throw in things like ammo, targets, binos, and a range finder its slightly less comfortable. Lately I have been thinking about getting a gunslinger 2 but I can't decide if it will be beneficial or not.. Comparatively what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

I recently got a Gunslinger 2 and it was a great investment. I used to use just a drag bag but like you said once you add all the needed items for a yote sit or hunting in general its crazy. The gunslinger has plenty of room, your rifle is reachable without removing pack and you have ton of room for all of your stuff. I mean the drag bag has its place but I think you can do all of its uses and more with a gunslinger. Just my 2 cents.

gunslinger 2 is the way to go for 1 day outings.hit up CEYLON here on the hide, he will do you a great deal.

I have several drag bags, Condor, Blackhawk, and a couple of chinese ones.

Personally for me the Eberlestock is a better system for carrying in the field.

Saying that, you can't beat a dual gun drag thrown in the trunk or behind the seat for an easy way to be ready for anything.

The GS2 is built as a back pack with adjustable shoulder harness and removable waist belt. It also incorporates a built in gun scabbard with a cover. It has compression straps to compress your load, with the option of compressing just your load or also the scabbard which rides right behind you between your back and the load. I have both the tac-ops drag bag (small) and a GunSlinger 2. I find that if I'm traveling or just going to the range, I'll grab the tac-ops. If I'm going to be hauling and doing a lot of walking, the GS2. The tac-ops is a great bag. I bought it primarily because I did not want a hard case, and it does the job in spades for my uses. That said, if I had to do it all over again and just wanted one or the other, I'd probably go the GS2 route. Both are great bags, but I find myself using the GS2 much more than the tac-ops. I'll second the above recommendation on contacting Ceylon at Deltaoutdoorsman.com for an GS2.

+1 on everything fireEMT5 said. I also have both, tho mine is a large for my 300WM. For short trips, & general use I use the Tac-Ops, but when I'm hunting, or doing comps that require much movement I use the GS2. Definitely more comfortable to carry in the GS2. Also Ceylon @ deltaoutdoorsman.com is the place to get a GS2. Great guy!

here's what I pack for a usual day on the hills.very comfy to carry (considering my rifle is a pig).
mrs3eg.jpg
f3t3zd.jpg

As I allready said hit up CEYLONC here on the hide or click his link in my signature.

Drag bags are best used for dragging behind you as you stalk and or for use as soft side truck to range transportation case. backpacks are for serious transportation of the weapon AND other accessories on your back. Drag bags started off as just that, bags made for dragging across the ground. Then someone had a bright idea to add all kinds of pockets and turn it into a gun shaped suitcase that can hold the kitchen sink.

hiddenmongoose, with all those molle loops, that multicam (if i'm right) simply looks like dry earth

Drag bags were invented back when snipers used to stalk to a FFP. If you are going to low-crawl to an FFP, it would benefit you to utilize a drag bag. Or if you are going from vehicle to range a drag bag fits most all your gear perfectly.
If you will be traipsing around the mountains, a pack may be more suitable.

When I wore a pack and was a sniper my rifle was tucked securely under my arm, grasping the sling loop near the front sling swivel. That was the only way it was carried. There was no such thing as a slung sniper rifle or a packed sniper rifle.

If you are going from vehicle to range; Drag bag.
Hiking cross-country it seems the thing to do is pack it.

Two distinctly different functions for two occasions.

I have them both and as said above they both have their uses. I opt more for the drag bag on range days but if I am shooting anywhere else I take the back pack since it is great to shoot off of and I can carry it well. One exeption is if I am going into the thicker brush, I like the drag bag with the shoulder straps since it is less likely to get hung up on the brush being a little less bulky.

I agree with the above, GS2 for hunting/hiking ect. drag bag for the range. I have hiked with my GS2 a few miles and found it very comfortable. I even used it as a suit case to live out of for one week. Had it crammed full but it got the job done. Cant say enough good about these bags.

Hiddenmongoose, what is that next to your rifle in the stuff sack?? I am looking for a compact shooting mat around that size. Thanks in advance.

@ jake: look at the tab gear shooting mat. that should have about the same size. i got mine from triad and abuse it for everything

Threetrees its the way it came out in the pic ,it doesnt seem as dry earth as that in real life although you are right the strapping should be multicam too.
24qtg2e.jpg

Jake B ,thats a warm top in a waterproof stuff sack.
Muskox, ya we get pretty big sika and Sika/red deer hybrids up there.

hiddenmongoose, with all those molle loops, that multicam (if i'm right) simply looks like dry earth

I thought the same when I got mine in multicam. its covered in dry earth loops not sure why I got the multicam since it costs more.. But the turkey didnt see me this spring.

Dont have much time with my GS2, but its made well.

Drag bag has padding that's about the only benefit I see

Buying a GS2 call Ceyloc first for your hide hookup ;)