• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Eberlestock Packs

wolfpackkid

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2014
Reno NV
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the hide but I've been lurking for a while and I'm not sure if this fits into the hunting category or equipment but, I was wondering if any of you have experience running the Eberlestock packs with a precision rifle for hunting (I pulled a late muley tag in Nevada) . It seems that the tactical packs are really the only ones that would allow for larger optics to fit into the packs and it wouldn't appear that my rifle (Remington Long Range 30.06 with Bushnell elite tactical) would fit in any of the "standard hunting rifle" scabbards. I appreciate the insight.

Lots of guys use Eberlestock bags here. I use a gunslinger II myself. The Gunrunner is popular if you're looking for a smaller bag. The gunslinger is more of a tactical bag but i know guys that use them to hunt with. The Dragon fly is a nice large hunting pack if you are looking for a bigger bag.

I have used to two. First was the gunslinger II but after one hunt realized it was to small for me. I know run the G4 operator and fits perfectly with everything I need for here in southern AZ chasing coues deer

I use a gs2 for 1 day hunts and lr shooting in the hills.I can put a remy 40xb 308 in an AICs with PM2 in it no probs.Hit up ceylonc here as a hide dealer for a good deal on one

I use the Gunslinger II and Gunrunner both with a variety of different size rifles. Both work great and I can even leave my bipod on.

I use the G3 Phantom. I enjoy the option of being able to remove the backpack and use the scabbard only on short treks. Pack has the basic large main pouch with internal separator, with side pouches and small top pouch. More than enough room for my needs. TRG 42 fits perfectly and weight distribution on hips makes long trips easier.
Mate has the G4 Operator and unless you need the extra room, the additional weigh and multiple pouches count against it. He's forever forgetting which small pouch he put what in.
Both awesome packs, super well made with great layout and thoughtful design.
Pick the one that suits your needs and you're bound to be happy with it.
Had mine almost three years and still in great shape with no real damage. Testiment to the build quality.

i run the X1A1 with a custom built 300 win mag sitting in an XLR chassis with leupold mk4. it fits well. ive packed that thing around Kansas, Idaho, Arizona and Africa. for the mid size pack holding the heavier precision rifles, I think its a great deal!

I have had two: the G3 Phantom and the X3 Lo drag. I liked features about both of the packs, and I would recommend either to you, but I already had a medium/larger pack so I sold the Phantom. For the last two matches I've been to I would have liked to have the Phantom back but the X3 performed really well. They are really versatile backpacks and work great for matches and competition where the amount of walking is less than a day of hunting (for me at least). I packed out an elk last season several miles down the Pacific Crest Trail in steep, snowy conditions with the X3 and it did pretty well considering it has no frame to support the load.

If the packs primary use will be 50% matches and range days up in the hills next to the truck, and the other 50% hunting duty almost any of the Eberlestock packs will work great. If its primarily for hunting there are better built and lighter packs on the market from Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, Kuiu, and Stone Glacier. But these packs also cost considerably more.

I decided to go with X3, looks like a solid pack that I can store all my gear in running up the mountains. With a 13 pound rifle a lighter pack is the best option.

Wolfpack..... You should be happy with it.

If you want a pack that you can use to move more gear than you need....... check out the Sky crane....... it offers house carrying capabilities or you just put the inner pack with the scabbard for some light shooting. The tactical models are built heavier but they are made to take a beating!!

I hunt in Arizona with a X3 lo drag. It gets abused with no rips or malfunctions at all. I use my Lr308 for deer hunting in the southern part of the state where illegals cross every day and night. In order for it to fit in the scabbard with a large optic I must remove the 20 round mag. I could easily solve this problem by using a 10 round mag.

X3 is an excellent pack. Had one for a couple years now. Never let me down. Eberlestock packs are great packs.

I use the Lo drag pack with my precision 308 and for my Ar, great pack but when I take my kids with me I wish I have a little larger pack.