• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eberlestock question

Re: Eberlestock question

Normally down.

Some packs, like the GS2, with wider scabbards allow for muzzle up carry as an option. Even then, depends on the rifle.

Muzzle down always works.

Fixing to order one and was looking at th gunslinger and gunslinger II or G4. If always down then I was wondering if original gunslinger would be fine. Just seemed as if a rather heavy rifle might ride better muzzle up. Thanks for the replies as I have no way to see these in person ahead of time. Also, any concerns of crown damage with muzzle down? Thanks

I purchased a GSII from ceylon here on the Hide a few weeks ago. I keep mine barrel up as I rest my pack on the ground when not wearing it. I don't like all that weight resting on the barrel.

Muzzle down.

I went with the Gunslinger 2 anyway, as the front access will be worth the extra pennies to me in the long run.

If you get the GS2, you can try it both ways, and see which works best for you. As a side benefit, you will have front load access, and probably better resale if you decide to try another version.

Down. I am also going to take a look at the Gunrunner H2 when it comes out later this year.

Thanks for the replies. Another question, how much stuff can you get into a gunslinger II. How big is the main compartment I guess is the question. It also seems the majority say "down". What is the reasoning behind muzzle down? Thanks

muzzle up/down work both in my gunslinger 2.

i would however recommend (like my gunsmith did) to wear it muzzle up. should you stumble, fall or similar, you do not want to have your muzzle being the first thing to impact into the ground/stone/concrete (including the weight of the pack and, additionally, some of your own weight). Personally i found a stock easier to fix than a barrel with a 'hurt' crown.

on the volume: I found that i can easily use it for a 2-3 day mountain hike where there is no water/food supply in that area (about 2000m above sea, you can only try to melt some snow/ice in autumn/spring. in summer there is nothing. karst is a pain.), including my climbing gear, the necessary stuff for such a climate/height and a set of additional tools (bino, etc).

muzzle down on both my Gunslinger II and F4 Terminator.
btw the Gunslinger 2 is an awesome pack. Very light pack and easy to carry a heavy rifle. Perfect for a day hike with shooting and gear.

wow ... I am getting a G4 Operator ... and I am cringing at carrying my rifle muzzle down.... I would think that muzzle up would be safer....

muzzle down in an operator. the operator is awesome because of its ability to compartmentalize the main area into two sections.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DoubleBarrel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you carry
Muzzle up or muzzle down in these? Thanks </div></div>
I have a Gunslinger II and the wide scabbard allows carry either way. However, "muzzle-up" seems like a better way to keep the muzzle undamaged, so I carry muzzle-up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DoubleBarrel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the replies. Another question, how much stuff can you get into a gunslinger II. How big is the main compartment I guess is the question. It also seems the majority say "down". What is the reasoning behind muzzle down? Thanks </div></div>
If you pack it right, you can fit quite a bit into the GS II. Below is a photo and list of the stuff I can fit in a GS II less a hydration bladder. I have the Gunslinger II in addition to a SHORT Tac Ops Drag Bag to carry my rifle and gear in. Everything that fits in the GS II fits in the Tac Ops DB, but the TODB also accomodates a full-length cleaning rod. (I use the TODB more, and it makes an awesome carry-all range bag).

For general range use I use the TO DB because it is faster to load and unload all my gear because of the way it is set-up. Moving to a different firing point is easy because I can throw everything in the bag pretty quick if I have to move.

If I need to hike a substantial distance and/or traverse steep terain to the shooting position(s) the the GSII carries a bit more comfortably and has a waistbelt to help keep the pack from moving around.

However, because of the way the GSII is set up, stowing some of my gear away (such as the tripod and spotting scope) takes longer because they need to be packed just so and strapped-in so everything fits in the pack and doesn't shift around. The rifle has to sit just right or the balance can shift. Like the Tac Ops Drag Bag, the Eberlestock carries a lifetime warranty.

RangeLoadoutFull8x6.jpg

- <span style="font-weight: bold">X-Ray 51 w/S & B 5-25X PMII and Harris 6-9" bipod attached
- Harris 9-12" bipod
- 100 rounds of .308
- Red Tac Gear TBC (Data Book Cover)
- Red Tac Gear Kestrel Pouch/Weather Meter
- Swarovski LG30 in TAC READY case
- Zeiss Diacope 65T (14.5" w/Eyepiece attached)
- Gitzo GT1550T tripod & G2285MB QR Adapter (folds to 14.1" OAL)
- Chamber indicator
- S & B Lens Cleaning Kit
- Small bottle of lubricant
- TIS Quick-Cuff Sling
- Red Tac Gear Tactical Pillow
- Red Tac Gear Rear Bag
- Spacers for McMillan buttstock LOP adjustment
- Lucas Cleaning Rod Guide
- Cleaning Patches
- Small bottle of Hoppe's or Shooter's Choice</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Eberlestock Gunslinger II in Multicam w/Tac Ops X-Ray 51:</span></span>
X-Ray51GSII18x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Tac Ops Gen 5 Plus Drag Bag in Multicam w/Tac Ops X-Ray 51:</span></span>
X-Ray51TODBG51ENHANCED8x6.jpg

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: baddoggy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">muzzle down in an operator. the operator is awesome because of its ability to compartmentalize the main area into two sections.</div></div>

Ya I'm going to have to play with it ... seems that the muzzle can get damaged very quickly muzzel down....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apophas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: baddoggy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">muzzle down in an operator. the operator is awesome because of its ability to compartmentalize the main area into two sections.</div></div>

Ya I'm going to have to play with it ... seems that the muzzle can get damaged very quickly muzzel down.... </div></div>
I hate to hijack my own thread but your sig line is classic. Rotary Phone- Love it. I wonder how many here still know what a rotary phone is. The good ole days i tell ya.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mackay Sagebrush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer down.

sanitizedeberlestock.jpg
</div></div>
May I ask why?

It is the intended way for the pack to be used, I believe, but I think in the 2 packs that I have the rifle could be carried muzzle up if you wanted to. I would prefer to protect my rifles muzzle than my rifles butt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DoubleBarrel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mackay Sagebrush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer down.

sanitizedeberlestock.jpg
</div></div>
May I ask why? </div></div>

It has worked out for me better to retrieve the gun easier. It also seems to carry better that way for me.

I have a Gunslinger II and run the gun muzzle down. This is the way Eberlestock intended the pack to be used and in my testing works best.