• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Ebola In Nebraska.

pteranadon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2014
Ok, I am not going to post a link, however it is true they brought another person that has Ebola into the United States. Here in my own City and State of Nebraska.

The reason, I may understand why on their standpoint, however I don't understand is this is the last thing we want others to perceive.

I'll give an example.

At my work we are not supposed to bring items off the shelf and put in our own department unless it's been written up and accounted for.
Another department next to mine does this all the time and it's personal items they want to later purchase.
I understand that the people in my own department may see this and perceive it being ok and they will be willing to do this.
So what stops someone who may have ebola and traveling to United States and thinking it's ok, if ebola is the case, then they will just get treated?
What kind of contamination could occur?
Are we sending the wrong message?
Are we not supposed to contain such thing and not have different standards?

Once upon a time we had quarantine for potentially infected individuals seeking to enter the US. I seem to remember that it was applied extremely harshly a few years ago to a US citizen who contracted drug-resistant TB (or something) while in Europe, and was going to die there if not treated in the US. He was denied entry but IIRC smuggled himself in via car from Canada and got treatment. Had he not gone around the system he might be dead.

But, that was an actual US citizen with a job, lack of a criminal record etc. Nowadays when infected people show up at the border we quietly let them in and hand them EBT and free housing, along with an exemption from the ID requirements that TSA requires of anyone else trying to board an airplane. I guess we live in opposite-world now.

The reason told was that they want several places that are not only equipped for such, but to enact in several so that they (in my words) get the practice.

I'm glad they are bringing them back here and practicing now.

It wouldn't be too difficult for the Jihadists infecting Africa to knowingly infect someone, them put them right on a plane.

I hope TBTB have a solid plan for that contingency.

What's interesting is that I believe this is the first patient that has not had the Zmapp drug that the two docs who ended up surviving at the CDC in ATL received. Will this Husker patient survive?

The reason it doesn't spread is because of how fast it kills and the high percentage.

They say that they take every precaution...

What about not flying it to another continent?! I want to know who is giving the OK.

I dont like them being shipped to the states at all, seems janky. Take a makeshift hospital there. Or send em to Paris where they have our equivalent of the CDC (I am betting we fund it anyways).
I agree we (the US), despite our shortfalls in medicine, are the best equipped to handle this, and getting "practice" now is important. The terrorists will most likely figure out how to isolate the virus and bring this here. A small vial hidden where we dont wanna look. We dont stop what they are doing now that is a threat to us. They will try a thousand times to get it into the US and only
Need to be successful once or twice. Its obvious there are huge segments of our population who have no self control (ferguson, any other riot BS in the past 20 yrs) and will go nuts once infected, spreading it all over. Just like in Liberia where infected people were looting stores for supplies saying they werent infected.
That said, the Nebraska Medical Center is an amazing place. Worked there for 3 years and was amazed at the things I saw happen. Not a perfect place, but where is?

They say that they take every precaution...

What about not flying it to another continent?! I want to know who is giving the OK.

Exactly! If you break things down, You don't want ebola in your country. you don't want it in your state. you don't want it in your city. you don't want it in your hospital. you don't want it in your hood. you don't want it at your neighbors. you don't want it in your own house.

I live here in Nebraska. I have gone to that hospital many times. If I get into a car accident, I may end up there again.

Yeah, it is a bit of fear talking, but fear keeps you alive. Ignorance and pride does not.

There are questions to be asked, Thank you LapuaBob.

I dont like them being shipped to the states at all, seems janky. Take a makeshift hospital there. Or send em to Paris where they have our equivalent of the CDC (I am betting we fund it anyways).
I agree we (the US), despite our shortfalls in medicine, are the best equipped to handle this, and getting "practice" now is important. The terrorists will most likely figure out how to isolate the virus and bring this here. A small vial hidden where we dont wanna look. We dont stop what they are doing now that is a threat to us. They will try a thousand times to get it into the US and only
Need to be successful once or twice. Its obvious there are huge segments of our population who have no self control (ferguson, any other riot BS in the past 20 yrs) and will go nuts once infected, spreading it all over. Just like in Liberia where infected people were looting stores for supplies saying they werent infected.
That said, the Nebraska Medical Center is an amazing place. Worked there for 3 years and was amazed at the things I saw happen. Not a perfect place, but where is?

Well, as you know Here in Podunk Nebraska, you know we don't have all kinds of security here everywhere you walk like the bigger cities. But we may very well have here is people who may very well have a vendetta against the U.S. and pick po dunk Nebraska to do something aweful.

Yes, we should be ready. Yes Practice makes perfect.

Yes, even the professionals makes mistakes. Doctors treating this in other countries are professionals and there was obviously a mistake(s) made.

I have been thinking and researching this today and have come to a somewhat informed decision.

This is not excusable. I'm really pissed off! Ebola is history's number three most deadly thing!!! Only beet by the black death and small pox... And Ebola has been named as a contender for the black death. That means it is third but maybe number one!

I grew up with a bunch of fear mongering about swine flu, bird flu, west mile, SARS, the flu, and every other illness that may kill a week person.

None even closely compere to Ebola!!! WTF!? More precaution was and is applied to all of those.

The WHO said "if Ebola was discovered in a hospital in London it would be to late." So they send it here!!! Fuck that!

CNN always made a big deal of all the infectious diseases but Ebola, nothing. The only difference is Ebola's historic mortality rate... 90%.

Whats has happened to this country? We once put our interests above all. Now...

We may do good ourselves into the grave. This must stop. What do we do?

They are going to bring one infected person into every state or even every city.

Guess what happens next.......

Last edited:
LapuaBob said:
CNN always made a big deal of all the infectious diseases but Ebola, nothing.

You obviously haven't been paying attention, because CNN has beaten Ebola to fucking death over the last 6 weeks.

I had my own serious reservations about flying Ebola patients 4000nm+ to the US for treatment, thinking taking first-world treatment to the African continent would be "safer". That said, there is no place in the WORLD better to treat and contain such a virulent disease than the USA.

The odds of a pandemic starting because of a patient air-evac'd in a specialized containment insert in a specialized air aimbulance into a specialized containment facility in the US are infinitely small.

I get the discomfort, but let's not get carried away here...

contagion-nothing-spreads-like-fear.jpg

Last edited:
You obviously haven't been paying attention, because CNN has beaten Ebola to fucking death over the last 6 weeks.

I had my own serious reservations about flying Ebola patients 4000nm+ to the US for treatment, thinking taking first-world treatment to the African continent would be "safer". That said, there is no place in the WORLD better to treat and contain such a virulent disease than the USA.

The odds of a pandemic starting because of a patient air-evac'd in a specialized containment insert in a specialized air aimbulance into a specialized containment facility in the US are infinitely small.

I get the discomfort, but let's not get carried away here...

contagion-nothing-spreads-like-fear.jpg

Yes! Yes! finally something with superstar's names on it! I believe!
Sorry for the sarcasm..
But history has shown, containment has been the key. The Spanish flu wasn't contained. The black death wasn't contained. etc etc.
Modern ways shown that containment works.

Are we going backwards?
Bringing disease somewhere else to stop and contain it?
No. They are only bringing people to treat them. Not to contain it or stop it.

It is beyond disingenuous to draw parallels between modern science and healthcare, and that present even one century ago. Bringing these people to world-class medical facilities that are specially designed and equipped for such pathogens is necessary to get to a point where you can "stop and contain" the pathogen in the third world where it lives, and hopefully in the second and first world if it ever finds its way here.

And while you may have been blinded by the Hollywood stars' names, but the point about fear is 100% spot-on and not just limited to infectious disease.

Again, I get your unease about an Ebola patient being in your backyard, but you've got better odds at getting stuck be lightning while walking under a ladder while crossing a black cat's path and breaking a mirror than that disease spreading beyond the containment unit that patient is in.

It is beyond disingenuous to draw parallels between modern science and healthcare, and that present even one century ago. Bringing these people to world-class medical facilities that are specially designed and equipped for such pathogens is necessary to get to a point where you can "stop and contain" the pathogen in the third world where it lives, and hopefully in the second and first world if it ever finds its way here.

And while you may have been blinded by the Hollywood stars' names, but the point about fear is 100% spot-on and not just limited to infectious disease.

Again, I get your unease about an Ebola patient being in your backyard, but you've got better odds at getting stuck be lightning while walking under a ladder while crossing a black cat's path and breaking a mirror than that disease spreading beyond the containment unit that patient is in.

It kind of goes further than that. Maybe I am just ignorant.
I, myself do not fear of it reaching me, to speak. Yeah, the fear is there but I fear other things that may come along something happening. You can go on and on what it would entail if it broke out here in the U.S.
If you want to get a staph infection, just go to a hospital. It thrives there. Most cases of staph infection are created in the hospital.
All of these places I agree want to help, not hurt.
But it's all about the money. A medical center getting money to staff the place, and everything involved is much easier than to staff a place in seclusion.
What medical center wouldn't want to be funded? What medical center wouldn't want to be funded for such a place for ebola?
I once parked there where the ebola patient is.
I "illegally" parked, however there was many others that did the same. Only my name was called through the P.A. system only minutes of parking. They knew in minutes of who I was. I came back to my vehicle to a ticket on my car. Nobody else had a ticket.
Security said I had to pay a 100 dollar fine.
It was obvious I was a vendor and I was bringing in food.
Security let it off for a specialty delivery for the gal in charge for 2 dozen hot wings.
Yeah, I question authority.
It's good to question. And have others question others.
This is different from anarchy. it's just questions.

I'm occasionally asked "what are the chances of a numb lip from 3rd molar removal?", to which I respond , "overall, 0.4%". Excellent odds, until your lip is numb at which point it's now 100% and there's no comfort in the fact that 996 others suffered no ill effects. With a background in virology and immunology, I have no problem understanding the efficacy of home based studies and can easily allow that everything's covered with regards to containment...... until it isn't (oopsie!!).

How do we even know the odds? We have never been dumb enough to import a disease. I am not a doctor but odds of one in a million. Isn't there a lot more than a million individual viruses in that guy?

Good News!!

Yahoo news is reporting that the Ebola vaccine has shown promise in monkeys, and should apparently do well in West Africa.