• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

EC Tuner

Smoke88c

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2020
Texas
Put an ec tuner on my Vudoo and thought I had a good setting. Turns out I didn’t. I didn’t have many rounds down it after cleaning. 50 or so. Now it has 300 or so and I had to readjust. Same lot of ammo fyi. Could it be that it needed more rounds down it to settle in? Anyone else had this happen?

How many rounds total do you have through the vudoo? Need to make sure the barrel has settled before trying to tune it.

My thoughts ....

Tuning a 22 is not a quick or cut and dried process, there is some art in it.
In order to know that a tune is improving your rifles performance you have to know what it does without a tuner on.
So shoot a thousand rounds through it and then some more to figure out what your rifles does bare barrel.
Tune in the manner you have chosen and then shoot that tune on different days to make sure it is solid. For me, that process alone usually takes 300 rounds.

Put an ec tuner on my Vudoo and thought I had a good setting. Turns out I didn’t. I didn’t have many rounds down it after cleaning. 50 or so. Now it has 300 or so and I had to readjust. Same lot of ammo fyi. Could it be that it needed more rounds down it to settle in? Anyone else had this happen?
That doesn't surprise me. 300 rounds without cleaning is way to many. I patch after 50 and brush and patch after 100. A good barrel should shoot its best clean after a few fouling shots. The number of fouling shots is barrel dependent. Mine come in after 4 or 5. Always less than 10. Your first tuner setting was probably the correct one. The tuner setting didn't change. The dirty barrel did. If you want the best accuracy out of your barrel. Develop a good cleaning routine. Hope my reply helps!

That doesn't surprise me. 300 rounds without cleaning is way to many. I patch after 50 and brush and patch after 100. A good barrel should shoot its best clean after a few fouling shots. The number of fouling shots is barrel dependent. Mine come in after 4 or 5. Always less than 10. Your first tuner setting was probably the correct one. The tuner setting didn't change. The dirty barrel did. If you want the best accuracy out of your barrel. Develop a good cleaning routine. Hope my reply helps!
I got both settings wrote down so I’ll have to see what it does after cleaning it this time. Might have a clean and a dirty setting for it.

Anecdotal but I’ve assisted two friends with brand new Vudoos tune their EC tuner. There was no break in or seasoning period. Their one “setting” has been solid to date from super dirty to just fouled up after cleaning. Same applied to two other B14R. Box to range and went to town with tuning.

Reactions: Smoke88c
Pay attention to what Williwaw says:
Tuning a 22 is not a quick or cut and dried process, there is some art in it.
In order to know that a tune is improving your rifles performance you have to know what it does without a tuner on.
Keep in mind that a tuner won't turn ammo that's inconsisteent into something else. The problem with inconsistent ammo is that it can't produce reliable results. Some groups will always be bigger or smaller than others and it's not easy to tell what effect, if any, the tuner is having.

Additionally, if the barrel is relatively short and stiff it won't respond easily to a tuner.

What ammo are you shooting?

I will clean my barrel after every Match or Range trip. I swapped lots of ammo so I had to re tune. New tune setting is at almost 7 on my EC. I shoot 2 round groups after a 10 round Controll group at 50 yards to see what is the best number. Then ill rotate about .25 of a line change to see what it does between 2 numbers that were good.

When that number is decided I shoot that at 100 to verify said number is still good. Then micro adjust it at 200 yards per Di Precision instructions. I will spend 200-300 rounds doing this.

The tune will stay where it is until the lot of ammo changes. If I totally scrub my barrel down it will take 3-4 fowling shots to be back to where it was. If all I do is soak the chamber and dry path it until clean it is typically first round where it needs to be. Traveling and elevation changes will change the zero a little, but my tune has not changed.

To say everything I did I don't think you have a tune issue I think it is in your ammo. It could be a MINOR tune adjust.

What ammo are you shooting?

I will clean my barrel after every Match or Range trip. I swapped lots of ammo so I had to re tune. New tune setting is at almost 7 on my EC. I shoot 2 round groups after a 10 round Controll group at 50 yards to see what is the best number. Then ill rotate about .25 of a line change to see what it does between 2 numbers that were good.

When that number is decided I shoot that at 100 to verify said number is still good. Then micro adjust it at 200 yards per Di Precision instructions. I will spend 200-300 rounds doing this.

The tune will stay where it is until the lot of ammo changes. If I totally scrub my barrel down it will take 3-4 fowling shots to be back to where it was. If all I do is soak the chamber and dry path it until clean it is typically first round where it needs to be. Traveling and elevation changes will change the zero a little, but my tune has not changed.

To say everything I did I don't think you have a tune issue I think it is in your ammo. It could be a MINOR tune adjust.
Sk long range match. I got some red I might try out also. Don’t know what it could be. Maybe I’m just running it too long between cleaning. Carbon ring perhaps.

Reactions: Defender32
Rule out the carbon ring first then take 5-10 shots to refoul the barrel.

I read a LOT of threads on tuner and decided to try it out. Ultimately, you have to try it out and see if it works for you and your barrel.

But...here's what I found:
  • Start testing to find the best vertical distribution - but do it by 5 mark increments (0, 5, 10, 15, 20).
  • THEN tune on either side of the best results. Saved me a bit of ammo and let me do more than a 2 shot group (I used 3-5 shots to verify)
I got close (setting 5 was best initially) and shot a match and placed decently....then found a better setting (2) and it's been spot on since. So, take the time to test, capture the results (notes and pictures) and then test again on a different day.

Sk long range match. I got some red I might try out also. Don’t know what it could be. Maybe I’m just running it too long between cleaning. Carbon ring perhaps.
Sk Long Range has EXTREME velocity changes in hot temperatures. I could not get a tune to stay steady when a swing went above 75* when it was tuned in 40-50* weather. I am now shooting Rifle Match and Standard +. I have a great lot of standard plus at the moment. Only 3 bricks of it left.

Sk Long Range has EXTREME velocity changes in hot temperatures. I could not get a tune to stay steady when a swing went above 75* when it was tuned in 40-50* weather. I am now shooting Rifle Match and Standard +. I have a great lot of standard plus at the moment. Only 3 bricks of it left.
Think I’m going to switch back to red box match. See if I can get better results

Not saying you can't tune it based on the temp you are shooting in. I shot it all winter without issues. Who spring hit here in KY it went all over the place. I swapped and re tuned.

Not saying you can't tune it based on the temp you are shooting in. I shot it all winter without issues. Who spring hit here in KY it went all over the place. I swapped and re tuned.
Got sd of 8 with the long range. I’m in south Texas big temp swings in the same day

I think that's a good item to consider - tuner impact at different temp/humidity as the seasons change.

This is without a tuner but I have some ammo that I got in winter and it has shot great.. When I first got it, it was 35 degrees when I tested it..as the temps out side went up, my velocity of course went up. It was about 1 FPS per degree of temp..until i got to around 73 74 degrees..then like a switch flipped on..it's way higher than a FPS per degree now.. I could see it the tune changing easy..velocity changes the whip..