• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ed Shilen and Bergara: what's the story?

Oldmauser

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2018
Ed Shilen passed away in 2015, so there are only second hand sources to report on this. What's puzzling me is this:
why did the founder of Shilen Rifles Inc. decide to consult and transfer his unique know-how to a Spanish company? I assume there had to be a good reason for this (except financial, of course).
I read that Bergara rifles are becoming more and more popular in the US, so effectively helping Bergara make better barrels has- economically speaking-affected the domestic industry, including Shilen Rifles Inc. I might be missing something here, so pls help me understand...

Hi,

Well this thread brings me to a couple questions in itself....

1. What was this 'Unique know how" that is being mentioned?
2. Why does this matter to anyone; especially something that is literally "dead and gone"?
3. Why is anyone that was not an owner in either company entitled to a reason?

Sincerely,
Theis

After the last barrel I received from Shilen I believe that they sold their "know-how".

Does anyone here know if Shilian Rifles Inc., or Bergara does an ocular scope attachment that projects/superimposes a new aiming solution onto your scope lens so that you do not have to dial the turrets; you just use the superimposed dot as aiming reference because it is automated to provide new solution based off your mechanical scope zero and the ballistics application "calls"?

I’m building a wish list... ?

I would guess he was paid a hefty hefty consulting price. HEFTY, maybe some stock.....I'm a big fan of Bergara rifles. I have a 6.5 LRP that is just awesome. Dialing in a 300WM right now.

PB

I think I have a .244 Rem barrel by Shilen. I sent them a couple of dummy cartridges I put together and they used their know how.

• Angry
Reactions: KenCS
Soo, have they sold secrets to a foreign entity? Hmmmm....

Maybe it was sabotage!
Or maybe their agreement didn't include AR barrels.

I have a Bergara 18" DPMS 308 10T mid length.
Gave it one last try yesterday & I will say this, It's super consistent. 3-4 MOA no matter what fucking ammo. M118, FGMM, Hornady match, etc. That was on an Atlas with rear bag. Single feed or mag feed same shit. Adjustable GB is well tuned with heavy buffer.

Edit: During the build I bore scoped it and it looked good. Even slid a precision ground guage rod through it and it felt like bore size was on the money. Same guage felt sloppy in my Ballistic Advantage 300BO barrel, but that's shooting around 2 moa from a 9" barrel with a red dot.

Disclaimer (this is not a PX add) so don't respond.

Keep your eye out for this bargain barrel coming soon to the PX
$50.00 Shipped for this turd. 80 rounds through it. Looks great, shoots like crap!
First I'll take it can have it.
Make a great truck gun barrel & deadly on Cow sized targets out 200y

I know what your thinking..........this guy can't build a rifle...........it's a Bergara........must have fucked up the build?

Do you feel lucky..........well do ya?

Last edited:
Built 5 ARs using cheapo Bergara barrels that were on sale for peanuts last year. All shoot fantastic. I am sure these are the only 5 good barrels they have ever made...

Ed Shilen passed away in 2015, so there are only second hand sources to report on this. What's puzzling me is this:
why did the founder of Shilen Rifles Inc. decide to consult and transfer his unique know-how to a Spanish company? I assume there had to be a good reason for this (except financial, of course).
I read that Bergara rifles are becoming more and more popular in the US, so effectively helping Bergara make better barrels has- economically speaking-affected the domestic industry, including Shilen Rifles Inc. I might be missing something here, so pls help me understand...
Some people worry about the strangest shit that makes no difference, in anyway to their daily life.
Do you hang out with my Mother in law?

I find it odd that folks are criticizing the OP for being curious.
The question is a bit outdated as it’s all old news now.
IIRC Ed got sideways with the folks who bought him out. Not sure if it was financial, the buyers not meeting his standards and damaging his reputation or both.
Ed went off on an entirely different field but I cannot now remember what it was.
I would guess someone paid him to consult and he did so. No mystery.

Reactions: lash and Bender
I find it odd that folks are criticizing the OP for being curious.
The question is a bit outdated as it’s all old news now.
IIRC Ed got sideways with the folks who bought him out. Not sure if it was financial, the buyers not meeting his standards and damaging his reputation or both.
Ed went off on an entirely different field but I cannot now remember what it was.
I would guess someone paid him to consult and he did so. No mystery.
I remember reading an article I think about it.
Ed basically was paid to consult on button barrel manufacturing and I think some action details as well.
A simple search brings up all kinds of info.
It’s not difficult nor some conspiracy.

Reactions: RTH1800
The entire business world hires consultants to help improve their service and or product, bergara did just that.
If it wasent Ed Shilen it would have been someone else, not like there were no other humans on the planet with barrel making experience.

Reactions: RTH1800
I heard this once, but I could not verify this in a reliable source.

If it wasent Ed Shilen it would have been someone else, not like there were no other humans on the planet with barrel making experience.
True. But it was Ed Shilen. And it makes it interesting.

Good point Oldmauser.

I am new to shooting and I was not planning on investing into it but I needed a hobby and someone recently offered to sell me a 308 Bergara B14 HMR with a vortex scope- never fired- for a grand. He threw in a case too so I could not resist. So I bought it and downloaded Long Range Shooting Handbook by Ryan Cleckner for my kindle.

Never knew I would find a True Love again at this stage of my life!

I did not know of Ed Shilen so I looked into it. Here is a video in his own words:

I was surprised to find he had broken 13 world records with his barrels and is in the bench rest hall of fame. Someone like that, it's not just the money, that would have inspired him to work with Bergara (they approached Him). He had to have been a visionary to reach that level of expertise. I don't know but I think it was this: Bergara was making custom world class barrels. Mr Shilen's friends and peers said he was always "in their corner" as they learned and developed. He was a true believer. Bergara wanted to attempt to close the gap, between custom barrels and the making of production match-grade rifles, affordable to the general public (like me). Ed Shilen would have been a natural choice. I know very little about shooting, but I think it represents a crowning achievement to do this for the shooting community. He passed away not long after he worked with Bergara. I think maybe he was at the point in his life where he wanted to pass on his legacy and what an incredible way to do it.

One more point. Bergara's rifle production manager is Dan Hanus. He is the former production chief for the Marines Precision Weapons School in Quantico. I read he hand picked his own team, some of whom were also former Marines. He would have naturally have had a working relationship with Mr Shilen and its a good bet they would have been acquainted with each other before Bergara even approached Him.

I find it ironic (and way cool) a Marine corp expert in rifle barrel technology, who is responsible for developing many a sniper rifle that have taken out a Jihadist ended up going to the Basque region of Spain where many a world class sword (from the same local steel!) was developed to fight Moor jihadists who tried to invade Europe hundreds of years earlier.

I really appreciate this site and look forward to learning from you all.

I like your enthusiasm about your new rifle. Thanks for sharing.

He helped them develop mass production methods to manufacture barrels of custom quality with factory speed,his companiy’s barrels may still have the edge as True customs,they also may cost more,(I bought one years ago,great barrel,still is)also they are in Spain,he’s in the US,these are just guess’s,they may ,I’m sure,have paid him very well for his help.made his last years very easy.

Necro post I know, but I’m pretty sure Bergara was started by CVA, and they’re owned by BPI Outdoors, best I can tell. All American companies. A Spanish plant for the non-premier rifles, yes, but not a Spanish company.

He helped them develop mass production methods to manufacture barrels of custom quality with factory speed,his companiy’s barrels may still have the edge as True customs,they also may cost more,(I bought one years ago,great barrel,still is)also they are in Spain,he’s in the US,these are just guess’s,they may ,I’m sure,have paid him very well for his help.made his last years very easy.
That's my understanding.
He didn't so much sell super duper secret secrets with them so much as he helped get their MFG process up to where producing button barrels on a large scale was easier, faster and more cost effective.

I mean, how many shelf rifles at the $900ish point have a BB?

If you look into the past, Spain and Portugal were manufacturing firearms from outsourced countries/companies for decades. FN, Browning, Winchester to name a few. Not to mention the independent shops producing shotguns, some of very high grades, qualities, and highly regarded. All priced so the working man could actually afford a decently made firearm.

Nothing new here.

Necro post I know, but I’m pretty sure Bergara was started by CVA, and they’re owned by BPI Outdoors, best I can tell. All American companies. A Spanish plant for the non-premier rifles, yes, but not a Spanish company.

Not quite.

Both owned by BPI, both their own companies.

Reactions: lash
There's a reason so many good cut-rifle barrel manufacturers are based or were trained in Wisconsin -- Boots Obermyer and a few others shared information with guys who apprenticed in his shop, or asked how to make them.

I would guess Bergara, as a traditional mass-production barrel company, reached out to someone with experience.

The Texas rifle teams use barrels turned from Shilen blanks.

I bought some AR15 barrels from Bergara and was super impressed back with the first Obama scare. The fit and finish was Noveskish and accuracy very good. That caused me to study the origin of the barrels and was like holy shite, quite a story via Shilen. 10 years later I'm buying their bolt guns.

Reactions: sinister
I may have a center fire Bergara in my future .trouble is a range long enough to really enjoy a center fire is at least a three hour trip away ,and west into the free lands across the Delaware!