• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Edge to edge clarity issue/reticle clarity

rushingbc

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2009
Beaufort, SC
All,

I am not necessarily a new shooter, but I am new to trying to shoot to some degree of accuracy, so i am beginning to notice problems that I have developed. I was hoping for some guidance.

First, I am having an issue keeping edge to edge clarity shooting prone and off a bench.

Second, I am having a problem focusing on the reticle, it seems to blur out pretty easily. I have helped the situation by wearing eye pro with the L eye blacked out, but it still occurs.

Edit: I am shooting an AR-10 with a SS 10x fixed power scope on Burris medium rings, A2 buttstock.

Any ideas, more info needed? Would seeing some of my groups help? Thanks

Re: Edge to edge clarity issue/reticle clarity

Sounds like your eye relief isnt set up correctly, edge to edge clarity. Try moving your face slightly closer and further from the scope to see where it is most forgiving. Move scope on the rifle where that point matches your cheek weld. On the reticle focus, focus at an object about 100yds away and then quickly look through the scope. The reticle should be immediately clear. If not, adjust the rear focus on the eyepiece until it is instantly clear when you do this. Hope that helps.

Sounds easy enough to fix, I'll give it a shot. No pun intended...... Thanks ya'll.

I got home, drug it out of the safe, low and behold my eye relief was only about 2 inches at best. I like to be close to the charging handle for some reason. Now my only problem is finding a set of rings on a base that will allow me to get the extra two inches of eye relief, as right now my current setup only gets me to 3" of relief, and SWFA has it listed at 4"

Thanks for the help!

I started looking at the Larue mount this morning, and a few others, searching for one that had the same ring height as the medium rings I'm running. I have found 3" of eye relief, so I'm going to try that. If no dice, then I'll go for a cantilever type mount.

I am using low mounts for my SS scope for my DPMS and is working decent enough maybe try those.

The 3-ish inches of eye relief seem to be helping, I shot yesterday and today and my groups are better. Today I took it out to 250 with a load I am working on, and I pulled out 2 MOA for 7 shots with three shots centered and .270" group size.

another thing to consider here is that ss is not a very forgiveing scope. I am used to mine and shoot it very well, but many other experienced shooters will get on my stick and have a hard time getting a nice picture until they learn the ss. very finicky. nothing beats positional drills at home or on the range to get used to what you can and can not do with a tight tolerance scope.

Dont know if this helps or not. I have an AR with a Trijicon scope with MASSIVE eye relief. I put on an Accuracy Speaks rail (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=238/Product/AR_15_EXTENDED__REVERSIBLE_SCOPE_BASE). It has the option for 0* and 15* base all in one.
p_054100200_1.jpg

I hope this helps. If not, maybe someone else may like it. I have it on 3 of my rifles and love it.

I found the SS eye relief to be very critical and non-forgiving, enough for me to bite the bullet and get a nightforce. Problem solved. Good luck.