• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Effect of bolt fluting on smoothness

DudeBro

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2019
Northern Virginia
I'm ordering a Defiance Ruckus and it has many options for bolt fluting (i.e., none, shallow, standard, deep, extra deep, and diamond which is basically standard left plus standard right).

Does bolt fluting have any appreciable impact on the smoothness of the bolt travel? If so, what fluting would you recommend?

Have had bolts that came fluted and those without and they all ran smooth after a while. Couldn't tell a difference when running them. I doubt you would see any difference. Mostly for looks.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
I thought fluting a bolt was only for aesthetics and cool/wow factor. It does look good on the right rifle sometimes though.

Reactions: Pharmseller
It does make a bolt lighter, but not by much.
It can allow dirt to fall out that normally wouldn't.
But, it's mainly for looks.
There should be zero difference in smoothness.

Reactions: Pharmseller
I have two Defiance Deviants with standard-depth spiral fluting. I also have two AXMCs with the factory-standard straight fluting. They are all extremely smooth. Lift the butt on any of them more than about 20 degrees and the bolts will slide closed on their own. So no, I don't think it affects smoothness. I'm not really a fan of more extreme fluting, and have no experience to offer a useful opinion on that. The second paragraph in post by @fclassparadise is pretty much where it's at.

Last edited:
It does make a bolt lighter, but not by much.
It can allow dirt to fall out that normally wouldn't.
But, it's mainly for looks.
There should be zero difference in smoothness.

Agree.