• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for advice on a precision rifle

MTBob9

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2024
USA
Howdy yall,

I am looking for a 300WM rifle to get into long range shooting (paper and steel), as well as a good big game gun (elk etc). I want to be able to reach out to 1000 and also use it hunting. I already have acquired nightforce glass, so that isn't a factor in my budgeting. Weight also isn't a big issue, within reason. I have hiked around the Rockies with a pretty heavy gun and it doesn't bother me. I have a MDT chassis for build as well. I would like to get shooting fairly quick, ideally not waiting 2 months for custom parts etc, unless that is the definite way to go.

I want something that is going to be very accurate (sub moa), reliable, and repeatable mainly. I have been looking at the Bergara HMR pro as well as the standard HMR but have seen many people suggesting to go full custom. The HMR pro is appealing due to the factory good trigger, fluted bolt, smooth action, and stainless barrel. With that being said, if I were to go fully custom, how much difference would I see in accuracy, smooth action, reliability and repeatability? Is getting a barrel from Lilja, Kreiger, or Bartlein and putting in an "custom" action worth the difference there might be? I know a factory rifle will inherently not be as good as a custom built and spec'd rifle, but I am wondering if there is a difference between a ~$2000 factory rifle vs ~$2000 custom build. Any advice or other options would be greatly appreciated. If custom is the way to go, what parts should I go for? TIA for all the help, its greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Howdy yall,

I am looking for a 300WM rifle to get into long range shooting (paper and steel), as well as a good big game gun (elk etc). I want to be able to reach out to 1000 and also use it hunting. I already have acquired nightforce glass, so that isn't a factor in my budgeting. Weight also isn't a big issue, within reason. I have hiked around the Rockies with a pretty heavy gun and it doesn't bother me. I have a MDT chassis for build as well. I would like to get shooting fairly quick, ideally not waiting 2 months for custom parts etc, unless that is the definite way to go.

I want something that is going to be very accurate (sub moa), reliable, and repeatable mainly. I have been looking at the Bergara HMR pro as well as the standard HMR but have seen many people suggesting to go full custom. The HMR pro is appealing due to the factory good trigger, fluted bolt, smooth action, and stainless barrel. With that being said, if I were to go fully custom, how much difference would I see in accuracy, smooth action, reliability and repeatability? Is getting a barrel from Lilja, Kreiger, or Bartlein and putting in an "custom" action worth the difference there might be? I know a factory rifle will inherently not be as good as a custom built and spec'd rifle, but I am wondering if there is a difference between a ~$2000 factory rifle vs ~$2000 custom build. Any advice or other options would be greatly appreciated. If custom is the way to go, what parts should I go for? TIA for all the help, its greatly appreciated.
Just the action on my custom rifles run close to 2k. Not saying you couldnt go cheaper. There are several $900 actions out there. Having the chasis helps.

Defiance makes a classic action and Put a Proof Pre-fit carbon fiber on the action your around 1800. Then you will have 200 to spend on a trigger. To elimate a wait time go online and look for parts from multiple retailers. Or you could buy a seekins, 2020 waypoint, HMR, and many other rifles that would work. With a 300 WM it maybe hard to spot misses. I like my 6.5prc rifles. Low recoil but you could still take an elk.

The HMRs ( Pro and standard ) in 6.5 Creed interest me as well for a 1K range rifle as far as factory rifles go. That`s IF our range expands from 500 to 1K.

The HMRs ( Pro and standard ) in 6.5 Creed interest me as well for a 1K range rifle as far as factory rifles go. That`s IF our range expands from 500 to 1K.
Go for it. Im not the most experienced, as long as your shooting something your learning.