• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Effects of bore quality on ES and SD???

obx22

Troubleshooter
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2020
N.C.
So, is there a correlation between bore quality and Extreme Spread/Standard Deviation?
We chase perfection in ammo, but has anyone tested a variety of barrels, all the same length, and noted variance in ammo performance?
What would be a statistically significant sample size?
(And yes, I realize the impact consistent ignition, etc. has on this).

I don't believe barrel length can improve ES or SD.
That's a function of burn rate/chamber pressure/atmospheric conditions, right?
Could barrel quality affect velocities also?
I think it would be proportional barrel to barrel.
How would you eliminate normal cartridge variations from the data?

Reactions: obx22
I have two rifles from the same manufacturer with barrels of the same length. With the same lots of ammo one is consistently faster than the other. The slower barrel is about 50 years older but shoots just as well as the newer.

I have two rifles from the same manufacturer with barrels of the same length. With the same lots of ammo one is consistently faster than the other. The slower barrel is about 50 years older but shoots just as well as the newer.
I wish you would've written consistently consistent. :D Seriously though, this looks the same as a hypothetical you asked awhile back. Everyone jumped all over you because of the cloned cartridges.

I wish you would've written consistently consistent. :D Seriously though, this looks the same as a hypothetical you asked awhile back. Everyone jumped all over you because of the cloned cartridges.
For the single use of the word "consistently" in the sentence, you would have always preferred to see it as "...one is consistent faster than the other"? If that's the case, now you have it. ;)

So, is there a correlation between bore quality and Extreme Spread/Standard Deviation?
We chase perfection in ammo, but has anyone tested a variety of barrels, all the same length, and noted variance in ammo performance?
What would be a statistically significant sample size?
(And yes, I realize the impact consistent ignition, etc. has on this).
Ton of variables here.
1. Condition of bore is vague? Are you going to test barrels with unlimited tooling marks against a top tier barrel? Or will it be premium barrels fouled accordingly?
2. Are you under the assumption a great lot of ammo in one rifle should shoot in another, or buy untested samples of ammo for the test, combo of both?
3. Sample size, this could get expensive and time consuming, if you are setting the size, you will be accused of only pleasing yourself.
4. You said it yourself, using different rifles may skew crap from the start, and justin added to it.

In my LR shooting endeavors, over the yrs I have had 2 rifles, same cartridge, and most of the time same actions, same brand and contours, and lengths of barrels. Always shooting the same bullets.
At times, same powder would not work to my specs, or primer.
Nothing linear when comparing different components in shooting.

If this was my idea, I'd probably wake up one morning, lay it all out, have breakfast, come to the conclusion that I may not even be able to please the little woman today, let alone thousands of 22LR enthusiasts, load the range truck and go have fun shooting.

For the single use of the word "consistently" in the sentence, you would have always preferred to see it as "...one is consistent faster than the other"? If that's the case, now you have it. ;)
Since you're consistently consistent in your consistently consistent redundant use of the word consistently, it was inferred that you'd alter the phrasing of your sentence as a means to combine the words consistently and consistent as you're consistently consistent in doing so. This post as well as my previous post are meant to be a joke, not contemptuous. I suspect you're consistently consistent in constantly finding words you consider to be considerably contemptuous. :D

Don't get me going on irregardless.

To the OP ... pretty safe bet that ammo induced velocity variations will completely mask any barrel effect on SD and to prove otherwise would be costly, time consuming and a complete waste of time IMO.

Quality custom barrels often, but not always shoot better than poorly finished production barrels. :)

Stev0, one barrel is always faster than the other, not mostly or sometimes.
I regret the confusion as well as saying anything.

Barrel length won't, in my opinion, increase ES or SD. In my experience, one barrel is always faster than the other.

In my test batch of one.. my longer barrel has better SD/ES.

Now the variables... 16" factory CZ vs 20" IBI vs 24" Bartlien. My Bartlien performs better using the same SKLRM I always shoot.

I also get better performance over my buddies 20" Benchmark with the same ammo.

Reactions: LR1845