• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

EFFIN-A Comp 5.56

tacticaladvant

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2011
Arizona
Saw this at Firearmsblog today and I am interested in checking it out mainly for accuracy. I don't get a huge recoil, but enough to not get the best grouping I would like. Anyone have experience with something like this?

Re: EFFIN-A Comp 5.56

This seems like an over complicated novelty trying to solve a problem that does not exist.

I'll pass.

And I must ask.

How would recoil of the rifle affect your groups?

I agree with this dude;

Freiheit on 28 Jul 2011 at 1:49 am link comment
If I may channel an internet meme: Yo dawg! I heard you liked compensators, so I put a compensator on your compensator!

For guns in 5.56 I think that using the $90 to buy ammo and range time and practicing will do more to help you deal with and manage recoil than a fancy compensator will.

OP, if the recoil of a 5.56 is effecting your groups, you need position, trigger control and follow through refinement, not some kind of muzzle device.

Mini screws on a compensator.... Sorry but I don't see the longevity out of that one holding up.

Kinda cool concept, if it works and is durable, but if its really a good comp youre looking for, look beyond the arfcom hype of this and the battlecomp and get something top notch like the titan, rolling thunder or arredondo instead.

Looks pretty lame to me.
frown.gif

20 little screws that can will probably work themselves loose, then again maybe not, but still...

And the "screw another comp on the other comp"? R O F L

Rather put the $90 into a griffin or dynacomp.

I have done a little more research and gave Predator a call. You don't necessarily include all the screws. You only add screws to the areas where you have muzzle pull to counter the force. I asked about the screws flying out, and they said ares covered this by bottoming out the ports before the chamber so they stay tight.

I don't know if I am completely sold but I will give it a try to control movement for more accuracy. I understand if I am a crappy shot, none of this matters, but I am not just looking for a doodad to throw on.

It needs some multi colored fiber optics in the ports to be plugged that would light up all club like when fired.

I still wanna know how the OP thinks the recoil is affecting his groups or where he thinks that adding a compensator will allow him to shoot smaller groups.

All a compensator will do is help you aquire target faster not make groups tighter.

I would buy one if it had rails on at least 3 sides. What if you want to mount two lights and a lazer on it? BAD DESIGN.

JK....just proves that if you build something tacticool that will go on an AR, there will be idiots out there that will buy it.

The Primary Weapons Systems FSC556 is a better comp.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LI4kVvRpDIc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LI4kVvRpDIc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tacticaladvant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have done a little more research and gave Predator a call. You don't necessarily include all the screws. You only add screws to the areas where you have muzzle pull to counter the force.</div></div>

Don't get me wrong, it does sound like a good concept but it gives no practical advantage over your standard straight baffle or ported compensator. Trust me, save your money. OR buy a PWS brake, AAC brake out, or similar for the $90.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tacticaladvant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I asked about the screws flying out, and they said ares covered this by bottoming out the ports before the chamber so they stay tight.</div></div>

I heard that before. I'm sure they tested it and all and thats great... but unless you check those set screws all the time, you can't be sure they won't back out. Hell, people don't even want to use set screws in their triggers and these guys are putting it in the muzzle? No deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tacticaladvant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know if I am completely sold but I will give it a try to control movement for more accuracy. I understand if I am a crappy shot, none of this matters, but I am not just looking for a doodad to throw on. </div></div>

Everyone is a crappy shot more often then never. There's a big difference between a "crappy shot" who tries to get better and a "crappy shot" who just is. You sound like you want to get better thats all you need... no doodad is gonna help you with that it's all up to you.

Ar's in general are different to shoot. Different technique same fundamentals.

Thanks. I am a relatively good shot, I am just looking for some good tweaks that could improve my weekly visits to the range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use YHM flash suppressors on all my AR's. They work great. IMO if you need a muzzle brake then just get a big ugly JP tank brake. </div></div>

Why even recommend the JP Tank brake? When you have SJC Titans, Rolling Thunders and Battle Comps out there why would you go with the JP? Your YHM is great for shooting at night but does absolutely nothing for muzzle rise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tacticaladvant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saw this at Firearmsblog today and I am interested in checking it out mainly for accuracy. I don't get a huge recoil, <span style="color: #3333FF">but enough to not get the best grouping</span> I would like. Anyone have experience with something like this? </div></div>

A muzzle brake will do nothing for accuracy (actually it only has the physical potential to degrade the rifle's accuracy). It will allow faster follow up however.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tacticaladvant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well it seems that no one thinks you need to combat muzzle rise on a 5.56
</div></div>

Bullshit...there are plenty of reasons to control recoil in 5.56.

If you have any intention of engaging multiple targets or being able to fire multiple shots on a single target, assistance in the form of a muzzlebrake for controlling the muzzle can be a key component.
Far too many people equate recoil/muzzle jump as some type of indicator of their manhood....the reality is that reducing muzzle movement whether through proper mechanics, muzzle devices, etc. is beneficial on any caliber.

because we're all operators and we're all "engaging multiple targets on a two-way range."

but back to the OP, muzzle brakes have their place in the world, and that's far away from other shooters (there's nothing like catching a face full of gun schmeg from the guy next to you).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tacticaladvant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well it seems that no one thinks you need to combat muzzle rise on a 5.56
</div></div> I didn't say you don't need to control muzzle rise. I said if you're going to blame your inability to group on the recoil that it's a marksmanship problem you have, not a wizz-bang snake oil muzzle device with a wanna-be bad ass name you need as your Holy Grail of a grouping remedy.

But go ahead OP, buy your Effin-A compensator instead of dry firing, working on natural point of aim or position refinement. I'll bet they'll be all the rage at Camp Perry next year and I hear Sean Penn is going to be rehashing his Spicoli character as the spokesman.
spicoli.jpg

Effin-A indeed ...

2uzpi4j.jpg

Will it work just as well if you Krazy-Glue some little red beads in there like from a fishing lure?

Some of these comments seem to contradict but I appreciate the thought going into them nonetheless. I didn't say this is a device that I had to have, it was more of a should I buy this. I can practice my marksmanship just fine. At the same time felt this had some merit or I wouldn't have bothered asking. Allllright Hamilton!!

Hey! SuperTrapp makes a compensator!

If it was all that great, they could afford a proof-reader on their promotional materials...

"Threading is cut short eliminate the
possibility of a screw entering the chamber."