• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing EGW rem 700 LA mount fit Howa 1500 LA??

SPAK

Stupid can be fixed
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2009
Alaska
HEy guys, I was looking at the egw dual ext picatinny rail for my rifle. Does any one know if it will fit the howa1500 long action. I don't have my rifle to measure the receiver holes right at the moment but the mount holes center to center measure 4.485" from the website.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

Re: EGW rem 700 LA mount fit Howa 1500 LA??

If I remember correctly all 700 rem bases fit corresponding Howa actions. I don't know if the EGW would be diff for some reason though

Thanks for the info, I just posted over at the optics forum before I saw your reply..

I posted on your other post regarding this. The Remington LA 1-piece base won't fit a Howa 1500. 3 holes will line up, but not the forth. You can use the 2-piece Remington LA bases though. I learned that the hard way. If you want a 1-piece base for the Howa 1500, you will need the EGW specific base, unfortunately its only sold through Legacy Sports, and its a bit more expensive.

Hi Frogman77, Basically if you want a steel rail for a Howa, Ken Farrell is the only show in town.
If there is another option, I would love to be shown to be wrong.
Regards Rob

LaCorunaCommericalMauserEGWMausersc.jpg

I have Farrel mounts, EGW mounts that fit, EGW mounts I have made fit and Picatinny mounts I have milled out myself from scratch.

In desirability:
1) EGW mount that fits
2) Make the EGW mount fit

Thanks for all the input guys! Clark are all three of those actions howa long actions?? Why is the one on the left cut different at the rear??

the actions look like Mauser 98 actions to me.

get the correct EGW mount. if you use 2 piece bases you cant use tapered ones as they will be at a diferent spacing and will bend your scope. the Howa is the same as a Weatherby Vangard so get the correct model and screw it on you can use a rem long or short action and drill and countersink the front holes but the extra cost of the machining will make it more expensive than getting the correct one to start with.

Can any one measure the spacing between the mount holes? I would measure mine but I don't have my rifle right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the input guys! Clark are all three of those actions howa long actions?? Why is the one on the left cut different at the rear?? </div></div>

L-->R

Commercial 98 action
2 military 98 actions

La Caruna commerical Mauser, EGW 98 Mauser Picatinny mount, La Caruna military Mauser, VZ24

The trick when putting EGW mounts on military Mausers is to not move the mount back to get two original screw holes over the rear ring. That will put the front holes through the bolt lug abutments.
It is best to just drill and tap one screw hole in the rear.

Near precision makes a 20moa base for the howa LA, and like everything else he does, it is top notch.

I'll second Norwiscutter on Near MFG. I had one of their 20moa bases on a Weatherby TRR 308 and it was a perfect piece.