• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: EGW

I've a couple of their bases for Savage actions (and other 1911 stuff).
EGW is definitely GTG, and their customer service rocks.

I have two, a 20 MOA and a 25 MOA for two different short action 700. The material is a little soft IMHO. I made the mistake of forgetting to tighten the rings down on to the rails and then fired my .223. The force of impact from the cross bolt on the rings changed the shape of the cross slot. I will post a picture later. Otherwise they are ok. I would rather have a Farrell (steel) or a badger (steel) since my rings are badger (steel).

Here are the pics:

24cxojm.jpg

2h3wnph.jpg

nbrnur.jpg

Hope this helps

Gene

argh, you guys are killing me :-D

"great value" "good budget quality"...kinda reeks of "ya get what ya pay for"

I appreciate the thumbs up...just trying to figure if I'd regret the purchase. I have a tough time thinking that an extra $100 for a B.O. or other "high end" base would make a difference. However, a friend tells me that there CAN be a big difference:

A base rail has several specs involved that determine price/value:
material used, chemical structure
material used, treatment (ie forged, etc)
material machining, ie edm cut, cnc, extruded, cast
specs: tolerances within range of? +/- .0001"
finish: ie: anaodized, parkerized, painted, etc.
& other factors, as weight, design, proof testing, batch testing, & la la la

Were the Base seems to be the "foundation" of the system, I hate to think being stingy would compromise the build. But, I don't feel any compelling need to spend more $$ than necessary!

Thanks again!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gszeto99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have two, a 20 MOA and a 25 MOA for two different short action 700. The material is a little soft IMHO. I made the mistake of forgetting to tighten the rings down on to the rails and then fired my .223. The force of impact from the cross bolt on the rings changed the shape of the cross slot. I will post a picture later. Otherwise they are ok. I would rather have a Farrell (steel) or a badger (steel) since my rings are badger (steel).

Hope this helps

Gene </div></div>

Yes Gene, thank you! I decided to go with the SWFA SS (after much encouragement here) and figured I'd go with their SS rings (though it says they are aluminum). Hmmmm...got me thinking now...

the EGW is fine. Its good quality, not as high as Badger, but if you want to find an intermediate price with very good quality look at Seekins

I have 2 20min bases, on my Win. SA, and one on my Rem. LA. The first time I ordered the base for my winchester it was too long, (needed to be the WSM size) I called them and they sent me two different sizes, and paid for return postage of the bases that didn't fit. This was without me suggesting they pay, so their CS is really good! I like them alot, and they work. Buy with confidence.

I have a 700 SA 0moa base on my SPS-V and a 0moa on a Stevens 200 (Savage). They fit well, though I bedded them out of habit and they are already setup to use #8-40 screws. Get them with confidence. If they're installed well with quality rings, you will enjoy as solid a mount as you could ask for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">EGW is a first class outfit that offers quality products at a reduced price. We can not see any difference in their quality vs. bases costing two times as much. We've sold a ton of them and had ZERO complaints.

http://swfa.com/EGW-Mounts-C1680.aspx
</div></div>

GREAT! Cause I'm on YOUR website right now loading up my Shopping Cart! :-D

Anyone wanting to slam EGW on quality or service is going to be fighting a losing battle. Few other companies can compare.

I have EGW mounts on every one of my rifles and don"t have any complaints. I "f"ed up one of the screws by using an allen head instead of a torques head, called the company, and I had 8 new screws in two days for 3 bucks. Buy them you won't have a problem just because they are inexpensive doesn't mean their cheap.

I agree that their bases are soft, and they dont have a built in recoil lug. Seekins bases and rings are a much better buy, very high quality, at good prices.

If you look at my previous post you will see the pictures are up now. Just like USMCj said, these bases are softer than I would have liked.

Personally, I have never seen a recoil lugless scope base, once PROPERLY installed, move on the rifle, even on 30-338s or heavy 300WMs. I don't understand the non-military use of recoil lugs on scope bases, but that's just my opinion I guess. If you are dead set on steel bases, EGW has a steel 20moa base for a R700 S/A also. Not much of a price difference from BO and Seekins though, but George has done some amazing work on my pistols, so I give him my business with no reservations.

I guess I am the only one who had problems with my EGW base. I was unable to use the base with my Badger rings, the slots in the base were cut too narrow and the rings would not seat on the rail.

I have a 0MOA and a 25MOA rail that lash up with Badger rings just fine.

I have had no issues with my EGW bases. Used one on a 30-378 and it never budged. My current 7STW has one and it is solid all day long.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tony.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I am the only one who had problems with my EGW base. I was unable to use the base with my Badger rings, the slots in the base were cut too narrow and the rings would not seat on the rail. </div></div>

That's kind of odd. I used both my std and my max-50 rings no problem on my base as long as I torque the bolts 65in-lbs. The mounts are kind of soft so when I mounted the badgers finger tight only, recoil force made the dent you see in pictures I have posted (after only 1 shot since the point of impact was so off--I investigated the ring mount setup and found that it was only finger tight--only to find the damage was already done). I made the exact same mistake with ken farrell's steel mounts and the mounts still look like new--I did not even know the badgers where only finger tight until I saw the large groups on paper(10 shots later).

Gene

Thank you for the Kind words.

In the last couple weeks, Partly as a result of forum Posts we introduced the HD mount,
7075 T6
torx screws
Hard Coat anodized
Lower, receiver ring to top of rail under .350

Our std mounts are 39.99 Machined in house using our USA made Fadals, Extrusion comes from Tx. Screws from Ct. Anodize is done in Reading Pa, Packaging from Mo. All US.

And as mentioned we have steel rails available also.

best regards
geo

I bought a used 700 with a EGW installed, which has worse damage than the pic above, and I assumed the previous owner did the same thing. Still, I figured the base was worth the value and plan to use it. I assume a little file work to take down the jagged edges and blacken it. Is that logical?

I've had good luck with the EGW bases. Had a 0 MOA on a .223 700P which is now on my 40X (just mounted but I doubt recoil will be an issue lol).

I also put a 0 MOA on one of my Marlin 444's. On the .444, the mount is great but the Millett DMS self destructed. Side note, Millett/Bushnell checked it out and sent me a replacement.

i have had several egw bases with no issues.

as stated by gszeto99...it was his error that messed-up the base. had the rings been torqued to the proper inch lbs...i torque mine to about 55 inch pounds due to the base being aluminum (soft) ... then this would not have happened.

just saying.

when ior came our w/the SH scope; which i jumped on the band wagon, a hide member and egw found away to handle the problem w/ eye relief (note: the hide member had to shell-out some cash out of his pocket). it solved some of the issue, but the scope was still f-ed up. I loved the scope minus that one little issue.

egw...i am glad you came out w/the 7075.

-al

Runnin four of their bases now, all types of rings. Nothing but praise, these are huntn bangn rigs and around saltwater quite a bit and they don't rust. If you can afford though I'd run the seekns as for fact the egw Al is softer.

Yeah, EGW is softer, both the base and the screws. I managed to strip one of the rear screws. Good product for the price but not necessarily a really great product.

Now I run a Murphy Precision Titanium and the difference is night and day but so is the price. The extreme toughness of the Murphy Precision base has meant I can take my scope off and bolt it back on tight later with the exact same POI. I think the softness of the EGW will cause the base to deform and cause POI shift. Buy once cry once.