• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ejector swipe a problem?

Ejector swipe a problem?

• Yes, overpressured do not do it

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No, as long as there aren't other signs of overpressure

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VKC

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Battle Born, U.S.A.
Here is a question. If I have a load that shows ejector swipe only, but not significant sticky bolt, nor cratered primers nor popped primers etc is this a problem?

Last edited:
Definitely a red flag. Something is not right. Not necessarily over pressure but it could be. I didn't vote because its not always clear cut. Could be a burr on the ejector, or something stuck under the ejector causing it not to depress all the way, excessive headspace, or over pressure and I'm sure there's other causes.... If it happens on factory reloads then probably less likely to be over pressure but it doesn't rule out excessive headspace or any of the other causes. If it only happens with your reloads and not factory rounds, i'd lean more towards the camp of your porbably getting pretty warm with your loads or your WAY over sizing your brass..

edit to add: how much of a ej wipe are talking? Just an imprint of the ejector or actually shaving brass? I try to hold to the camp of reading Multiple signs of pressure, but having an ej wipe on the case head would definitely make me pause and trouble shoot the issue.

Last edited:
I understand what you are saying and realize that there are other causes.

But if appears from reload with increasing charge without other issues, is that pressure way too high and must I load lower? Or is it okay?

Just imprint but no shavings.

If you're seeing it with increasing charge I would say it's most likely pressure related and I would back down. I have had loads that just wanted to shoot really warm and left a slight imprint on the case head. No other signs of pressure just like you're saying. As a young reloader wanting to confirm, in that particular rifle I went up in .2 grain increments and IIRC somewhere around 1 gr further started shaving brass off the case head, then soon after locked up the bolt. Had I known better, I would have stopped at the really shiny ejector mark indicating definite brass flow into the ejector, instead of pushing it to the point of heavy bolt lift.

It's going to come down to a comfort level and brass life. Those loads that were leaving a "slight" imprint were definitely warm and brass did not last very long. I'd say 7-10 rounds before primers were too loose to hold a primer. I say comfort level, because i have no idea how high that pressure is without equipment, and how close that particular load is to the point of locking up the bolt. You probably know this already but every rifle is different and Some powders are more sensitive to changes in temperature and can cause an increase in pressure sooner than others. My personal absolute is a heavy bolt lift. If I feel a heavy bolt lift I am on the brink of stupid. How long are your primer pockets staying tight? If you're losing them at 5 reloads I'd say it's definitely too hot and waste of brass.

Since i've "grown up" in my reloading, during my initial ladder tests/pressure testing i stop when I see an ejector imprint or slightly heavy bolt lift which ever occurs first. I call that my pressure limit and stay clear of it by at least .5gr if not more depending on the cartridge. I've also started using quick load which helps but I also take the pressure ratings with a grain of salt.