• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Elcan Specter

robino

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2004
FL
who uses one? Are they all that and a bag of chips?
$1600-1900 is quite steep for one, but i've heard good things about them...

who has one that can speak the truth about them, are they worth all that dough?
Rifle it would go on is a MSAR .223 with 20" barrel

760205707_zHueg-XL.jpg

Re: Elcan Specter

I had one- the glass was great and I thought that the reticle was perfect. The illumination was the best that I have tried. The zoom lever function was great. I couldn't get over the mount though. The optic is basically held to the mount with springs. You can grab the optic and rock it around when it is tightly mounted. I guess it works, but I could not get comfortable with it.

Elcans are combat glass made for the rigors of combat we see in a MOUT environment. They are reasonably tough, and will get you center mass hits. Probably not what you are looking for for your AUG copy. A good 3x, 4x, or 1x-4x optic will suit you fine. You will pay less for a better optic as well.

What is your application going to be? HD, Perimeter Defence, Targets to 300M? If you are going to use it for targets from 5' to 20'(Home Defense) get a red dot or reflex sight. If you are going to use it for perimiter defence, go with a US Optics SN4, NF equivelent, a Leupy sight that will keep you on target to 300M.
If your rifle shoots under 1MOA(It's a combat rifle, it probably is about a 1MOA gun) then go for a optic system that will exploit that from CQB to Perimeter. If it shoots from 1 - 2MOA, go with a red dot or reflex sight and be done with it.

i have an ACOG ta31f now 4x.
just curious if the Elcan was going to be worlds better.

i can see the obvious, the Elcan certainly has a bigger dia glass, so it must be quicker to put on target and i can't help but like the 1-4 lever which is the best of both worlds, no need for two different sights, one does both.

just wasn't sure of the quality, at that money i expect them to be all that...which is why i was asking.

the rifle will be used mostly for FL boar shooting...at various distances.

I have one and it works fine. I don't have any experience with wiggle. As a matter of fact it's rock solid for me. I love the switch for power. I have used it in a few matches and it held up great. No POA/POI shifts and it helps make solid hits out to 300

One other thing to consider- I think that I remember that you don't have unlimited eye-relief in the 1 power setting like you do with an eotech or aimpoint.

Valken- maybe mine was a bit looser than normal. The manufacturers rep told me that the did move around if tugged on and that springs and ball detents brought them back to zero. I am sure that it worked- It was just my neurotic nature that forced me to sell it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: robino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have an ACOG ta31f now 4x.
just curious if the Elcan was going to be worlds better.</div></div>
IMO, the ELCAN is "worlds better" than an ACOG. I have both, use both and prefer the ELCAN sight picture, reticle, illumination system (cross hairs or dot can be selected), and 1X/4X switchability. Nothing wrong with an ACOG, I like my TA01NSN too.

I have 2 1x4's, and the new 1.5x6. I have been using the 1x4's for 2 plus years in 3-gun competition and think they are the best thing out there. It's like having a red dot scope with magnification. Also have an extra 1x4 that is gently used. PM me for details

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 2 1x4's, and the new 1.5x6</div></div>

Now this is something I don't understand. How is it that they (as in any manufacture) can make a 1-4 but not a true 1-6. It's always 1.something - 6. Does anyone have an idea why?

well, I pulled the trigger on a new 1-4 Specter DR
found a guy on ebay selling 3 of them, new in box, picked mine up for $1525

not bad considering most i've seen were way north of $1695

I'm looking forward to get it.

If someone's looking for one, quick ebay search, you'll find the other two f/s

The one downside I've heard/seen with them is the mounting system. Some digging has turned a lot of criticism of the mount. One of the guys I know well said he had to zip tie the levers to prevent it from loosening up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Valken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Now this is something I don't understand. How is it that they (as in any manufacture) can make a 1-4 but not a true 1-6. It's always 1.something - 6. Does anyone have an idea why? </div></div>

My guess is because many get their glass from the same manufacturers and it would take either a total in house job or a custom - read more expensive set of glass to be made for a design no one has really produced yet but I could be way off.

waiting for my E4 style rail to mount it.

in the manual it states that the sight is designed to have space where one can either zip tie the locking handles or wire them tight, for combat situations where it might get banged around a lot. I can tell you that this feels like one stout unit. Very heavy duty.

775635167_GDK4d-XL.jpg

775635150_Vs736-O.jpg

775635117_ixpnd-XL.jpg

775635138_hEgvZ-XL.jpg

775635145_Noas4-XL.jpg

775635124_NDz7x-XL.jpg

775635160_6QHw6-O.jpg

775635162_srJeQ-XL.jpg