• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ELCAN vs. NF 1-4 compar.

hitman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2004
Tampa, FL
K, so... I finally made it out today to do some testing/comparison between my ELCAN 1-4 and my NF 1-4 with an FC-2 reticle. This may be just me but these are my observations. The Elcan is noticeably more clear. Especially at distance. I really suck at taking pics so I would not do it any justice. The field of view is bigger in the Elcan on 4 power than the NF on 4 x. I am out in New Mexico, and the Elcan dot shows up great even against the sand and bright ass light here. The NF does not. I decided to put the Elcan on an AR-10 and the NF is on one of my SR-15's. I went out to 500 yds and compared em both some more. Again the Elcan shines over the NF... at least for me. I was holding on the 400 mark in the Elcan and hitting a small steel plate about every time. I did the same with the NF holding on the triangle and made consistent hits at 500. These were with some handloads and they are little hot.

In all, I personally like the Elcan more, but it is also another $600-$800 more than the NF. I did not have time to test the so called shift between switching from 1-4 power. I know some guys notice it but my buddy has these in Afg. and the whole team loves them and he said they have NOT noticed any zero problems or issues when switching between 1 and 4 power. I zeroed mine on 4 power as you are supposed to.

Next time out I will see if mine shifts and if so how much.

Re: ELCAN vs. NF 1-4 compar.

How it feel as far as weight on top of the rifle compared to others? How would you compare it to that ACOG, TA33G-H?

Thanks!

I think the weight is close by the time you add a Larue or ADM or similar mount and the scope. But, I do not have an accurate scale to see for sure, but the feel is close.

I had an ACOG TA33G-H just recently and sold it. I think the ELCAn is far better glass and field of view is not even close. I put multiple targets at 25 yds, 50 yds and 100 yds and did some drills and the ACOG is noticebly slower for me due to the small field of view. The NF reticle is pretty easy for me to pick up fast but so is the ELCAN. I would need to do the drills with a shot timer to see if there is any real difference in those two. But, I do know I personally am slower with the ACOG.

The other downside to the ACOG (for meat least) is the reticle dispears in no light or very low light. I did some tests with just street lights shinning in my wondows the ACOG is still visible. If I went into a black room the reticle would quickly disappear. I know some guys combat this by using a mini chem light.

For, me personally I am loving the ELCAN and would not hesitate to buy another. Now, I have not compared it a short dot but this is my favorite, sort of, all purpose scope I have owned. Hope that helps.

I love the Elcan. It's my standard tactical carbine scope; the USO SN3-2200 is my standard rifle scope.

When you do a cost comparison, remember that there's no need to buy rings or BUIS with the Specter DR, as it has a built-in mount and back-up sights (although with an admittedly short sight radius).

Plus one for the Elcan! I got mine about two months ago to top an FN SCAR. Now, about 2,500 rounds later in my opinion it is the best optic available in the 1-4 range (price aside). Glass, FOV, reticle, red dot, and utility of the throw lever are second to none. I have been shooting 10" plates at 400 yards (4x) regularly as well as lots of mags out to 100 yards (1x) and have noticed no zero shift. Additionally, the optic comes off regularly for rifle cleaning and I have not experienced excess shift as a result of remount. I am absolutely sold on the Elcan... it is well worth the size and weight!