• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Electric Trucks

TXAZ

NOC NOC
Minuteman
  • Oct 3, 2020
    McMurdo Sound
    Anyone up on the details of the electric trucks from Tesla, Rivian, Lordstown or GM?
    Been looking at these for some time and on their info or option lists but they’re all still short on details.

Electric trucks were the standard in the teens and twentys circa 20th century.

They couldn't be beat for torque and as they were used only for short inner city trips, rail car to warehouse, warehouse to customer, range issues were not a problem.

Now we lack the rail connections and trucking distances are longer.

I see them being useful in some situations but not all.

Reactions: 65x55guy and TXAZ
    Also Uncle Sam can turn your ride off at any time I imagine. I’d prefer something with points and a carburetor as a backup at this point.

Every new Toyota Tundra has a phone module built into it for remote access. I assume many other makes and models do as well.

Reactions: TXAZ
    Lordstown keeps pushing back production (3rd qtr 2022). They are going to use a hub design with the armature in the wheel, not real well tested, I'd look elsewhere

I think the F150, when it comes out, will do very well. They make a lot of trucks and have the dealer network. (I bought F stock). Better price point and support. If I were to buy, that's where I'd go.

Anyone up on the details of the electric trucks from Tesla, Rivian, Lordstown or GM?
    Been looking at these for some time and on their info or option lists but they’re all still short on details.
    When they come out with one that has a 700 mile range and a 13,500 lb towing capacity, then I might be interested.

John

Last edited:
    The Cybertruck is going to be the one to beat. Yes, I know it's ugly AF. It has the charging network, will be able to charge faster, better performance and Tesla's technology is at least 5-10 years ahead of everyone else. Their autodrive is untouchable and whenever Full Self Drive becomes a reality, it's going to change the world.

Guy on another forum is putting a nissan Leaf motor and batteries into a 80 series land cruiser, keeping awd and the live axles. Its interesting, but i am not sure the range will be very good. But what do i know.

• Love
    Reactions: shoobe01 and TXAZ
    The only way EV even stays viable is by burning gas and coal to make electricity. So what is the point of loosing the enegery making and transferring the electricity, when you can put the part that uses the gas right in the car.:unsure:

If they could make a truck run for 12 hours at 80k pounds at 63MPH, and charge in the 12 hours of down time. Many companies still wouldn't run them, because they hire teams to keep trucks running 24 hours a day.

The Cybertruck is going to be the one to beat. Yes, I know it's ugly AF. It has the charging network, will be able to charge faster, better performance and Tesla's technology is at least 5-10 years ahead of everyone else. Their autodrive is untouchable and whenever Full Self Drive becomes a reality, it's going to change the world.

When full self drive comes available you are right it will change the world.

You will just be cattle in an animal hauler transported either where you want to go or perhaps where someone else wants you.

The only way EV even stays viable is by burning gas and coal to make electricity. So what is the point of loosing the enegery making and transferring the electricity, when you can put the part that uses the gas right in the car.:unsure:

If they could make a truck run for 12 hours at 80k pounds at 63MPH, and charge in the 12 hours of down time. Many companies still wouldn't run them, because they hire teams to keep trucks running 24 hours a day.

I think we should put little wind turbines on cars....liberals would eat that shit up and the optics would be hilarious.

EV would be ideal for my business. We drive 120 miles a day and about half of that is in stop and go traffic. We often tow 15k but I have not heard anything on towing capability from any of the companies listed above. Please enlighten me on what is to be expected.

They need to have the range while towing which is going to be the key. Drop your 5th wheel on the hitch and go 700+ miles....the roads will be covered in EV trucks.

When full self drive comes available you are right it will change the world.

You will just be cattle in an animal hauler transported either where you want to go or perhaps where someone else wants you.
    If you think about it, it makes sense. Not as a truck, but for robotaxis. People will no longer have to have a car and everything associated with having a car, like payments, gas, insurance and maintenance. If you normal joe just needs to get from point A to B, and all they have to do is pay a subscription service or per use basis. That's going to be huge.

I honestly don't think the technology is there, yet. If you're talking purely 100% EVs, you'd have to have a vehicle that:

1) has the full range of a fossil fueled vehicle
    2) has the pickup/power ability to do things like pass an 18 wheeler on the freeway without costing a bunch of reserved power.
    3) ability to recharge as quickly as you can fill your fuel tank (without the batteries "exploding").

Not to mention having as many electric charging stations as there are fuel stations all over the country. Alternatively, have solar power on the roof to keep it constantly charged. or to fill a heavy duty capacitor to store the energy when needed for passing a truck.

Until that time, I'm sticking with fuel powered vehicles.

If you think about it, it makes sense. Not as a truck, but for robotaxis. People will no longer have to have a car and everything associated with having a car, like payments, gas, insurance and maintenance. If you normal joe just needs to get from point A to B, and all they have to do is pay a subscription service or per use basis. That's going to be huge.

They could call it Uber.

I have seen a couple all electric buses being hauled on 18 wheelers. They must not be good for the long haul.

Thanks for the replies.
    I agree Tesla is the likely pickup truck to beat overall.
    And it’s going to be an interesting journey in some states:
    The initiatives in Kali for EV are laughable: there isn’t enough electric grid capacity to charge all the planned EV as their 10- year generation build plan is minuscule compared to the likely charging load drone EV’s alone.

They could call it Uber.

Yes, for Robotaxis. But will these vehicles get to share the roads with regular drivers? That's one of the many things I don't like about "driver-less cars." I get the nasty feeling that traffic laws, and especially speed limits, will have to be dumbed down to match the ability of driverless cars to function effectively. I don't believe that driverless cars, as good as the AI may be, can outperform the human brain in re: reacting to immediate threats/situations on the road. Therefore, speed limits will be lowered, passing rules will get more restrictive, etc. etc. etc. Not good.

If you want to have EV's and robotaxis, etc., have them on specific roads/highways designated for them, and let us drive the rest of the roadways the way we've always done.

I hope your cyber truck becomes self aware

Yes, for Robotaxis. But will these vehicles get to share the roads with regular drivers? That's one of the many things I don't like about "driver-less cars." I get the nasty feeling that traffic laws, and especially speed limits, will have to be dumbed down to match the ability of driverless cars to function effectively. I don't believe that driverless cars, as good as the AI may be, can outperform the human brain in re: reacting to immediate threats/situations on the road. Therefore, speed limits will be lowered, passing rules will get more restrictive, etc. etc. etc. Not good.

If you want to have EV's and robotaxis, etc., have them on specific roads/highways designated for them, and let us drive the rest of the roadways the way we've always done.

Hate to tell you but there are plenty of Teslas out there right now that is doing the beta testing on FSD. I think they are up to version 10.4? Lots of videos on it right now. There is another company in AZ that has a driverless taxi system for several years. Most if not all the accidents so far has been outside influence, not because of the AI system in the vehicles themselves. Personally, I think it might be for the better... I mean, have you seen how shitty most drivers are? Most drivers are totally oblivious to whats going on around them.

Klaus? Is that you?

Hate to tell you but there are plenty of Teslas out there right now that is doing the beta testing on FSD. I think they are up to version 10.4? Lots of videos on it right now. There is another company in AZ that has a driverless taxi system for several years. Most if not all the accidents so far has been outside influence, not because of the AI system in the vehicles themselves. Personally, I think it might be for the better... I mean, have you seen how shitty most drivers are? Most drivers are totally oblivious to whats going on around them.

I'd rather deal with them, frankly. I know them and can work around them. I can better keep an eye on them. I don't want any roadway or highway system where the speed limits are reduced or the traffic rules more restricted because of the prevelance of driverless cars. I can tolerate them on local streets, since I probably can't drive any faster anyway. But definitely not Interstates, etc.

Reactions: EddieNFL
    I'm by far not an expert. Recently I did my first time ride/drive in a Tesla.

My first impression was that the concept has merit but there are a lot of caveats to that.

First thing I thought was it depends really on where you live. If you are in the city or are just doing short (mile wise) trips then it's fine.

Also if you live along the Gulf Coast it will take one hurricane to teach you a lesson. The things take around 8 hours to charge so if you are out of power for a week you are screwed.

Also there are not many places to charge it up. You can plug it in at home but don't bank on that for overnight trips.

Basically on the one I tested it can go from Houston to Dallas but when you get there you need to charge it for 8 hours before you can drive back home.

In other words the range is limited.

Specifically for trucks I don't know but if you are using it in a work environment all it will take is to forget to plug it in one night and then your whole next day is potentially over.

My criteria for buying an electric car
    • 500 mile range
    • Charge from barely 0 to 100% in 10 minutes
    • Charging infrastructure with at least 75% of the coverage of current fuel
    That an electric powertrain is superior to a reciprocating engine is a no brainer. If you don't think so, it's because you know shit from shinola about electric motors.

The choke points are battery (gas tank) and charging (gas pump) technology, not the powertrains.

Those problems will be solved. You're a complete fool if you think otherwise.

After riding in a Tesla, I was sold on the platform and it’s performance other than a few hang-ups.

Here are my prerequisites before I dive into any electric vehicle:
    1. 500 mile range (equal to an ICE powered vehicle)
    2. Quick recharging to 100% in less than 30 minutes (for when on long-distance trips).
    3. Starting MSRP equal to a similar style vehicle

Electric vehicle performance is out of this world.….way better than ICE. The price for a decent one is still a bit to high for my liking. I know you can pick up some of the Teslas for $38k or something, but that’s a pretty bare bones model. The decent looking and performing vehicles are pushing $70k and they still don’t have the range I’d be looking for.

I really, really like the Rivian R1T, but a decently optioned R1T is about $90k. I cannot justify that for a daily driving vehicle. If they were $65k, I could probably make it work. I’m probably living a pipe dream right now with my wish list. I am a proponent of electric cars.….just not yet. They are very impressive and they are the future.

Reactions: 308pirate
    I can't wait until people figure out what a disaster lithium mining is.

When they get the graphene super-capacitor figured out it will be viable. Current battery tech is too shitty and heavy.

Reactions: rhsc and atomic41
    I like the idea.. for around town, to and from closer locations make sense... I laug at the Library's thinking it's better for the environment.. out of sight out mind. Like anti hunters...

The Atlas looks interesting, if truly it only takes 15 minutes. I don't appreciate the tax incentives, I'm supporting someone else, why can't I get tax incentives since I'm paying a hell of a lot of taxes, especially income tax! Yes I can move to another state but not going to.

I had money on the Rivian and just got it back, going to wait and see. Love the idea but Increase the range and I'm sold with 15 charge times.

Overall I'll keep my raptor. Do like the hybrid torque though.

I can't wait until people figure out what a disaster lithium mining is.

When they get the graphene super-capacitor figured out it will be viable. Current battery tech is too shitty and heavy.
    "Im PrOtEcTiNg ThE EnVirOnMEnt!"

lithium-mine.jpg