• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Electro chemical etching machines

gamma

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2009
Does anyone have any experience using electro chemical etching machines for etching on logos on there firearms etc. Ive been looking lately at those Etcho-matic tools and from what I see, they look quite impressive. Theres other ones out there that are quite a bit more expensive. Just wondering if anyone here has any advice.

Re: Electro chemical etching machines

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gamma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have any experience using electro chemical etching machines for etching on logos on there firearms etc. Ive been looking lately at those Etcho-matic tools and from what I see, they look quite impressive. Theres other ones out there that are quite a bit more expensive. Just wondering if anyone here has any advice. </div></div>

I use the one from Marking Methods. Nice machine but I don't think there's a lot of difference between the various manufacturers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gamma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have any experience using electro chemical etching machines for etching on logos on there firearms etc. Ive been looking lately at those Etcho-matic tools and from what I see, they look quite impressive. Theres other ones out there that are quite a bit more expensive. Just wondering if anyone here has any advice. </div></div>

I use the one from Marking Methods. Nice machine but I don't think there's a lot of difference between the various manufacturers. </div></div>
What do you think of it, is it a good well worth while piece of kit.

what do they really cost to get set up and ready to use? the site i saw didn't have any prices listed and you needed to contact them for a price. i am just curious of a ballpark price at this point.

With the Marking Methods you'll drop a grand

Etch-O-Matic with the stencil maker and etching kit $350ish

Just about everyone that builds rifles uses the Marking Methods unit, that should tell you something right there.

The unit may cost more but if you are using it a lot then the cost is not really an issue. If you only need it occasionally then it's not cost effective.

I have the Marking Methods unit and I have used some other lower cost units out there and they just don't compare.

I have two Etch-o-matic starter kits and an older Lectroetch 10A I can sell if anyone's looking for a good place to start. I believe the starter kits are fairly complete. You'll need to get your own leads, marking head and chemical for the 10A. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what do they really cost to get set up and ready to use? the site i saw didn't have any prices listed and you needed to contact them for a price. i am just curious of a ballpark price at this point. </div></div>

I have about $800 in mine and that's not the basic kit. The only thing I didn't get at that cost is the handpad cleaner. I dealt with Jeff Kolar at Marking Methods and also ordered custom stencils at the time I placed my order. That was over two years ago but I believe he's still there. A friend of mine bought his complete kit (used of course) on eBay and it was in perfectly usable shape for $300. It's not all that common that you see them on eBay, but it's a good deal when you can find them.