• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Electro Magnetic Rifle

Yeah, that looks like it would be a blast to run-n-gun with. Sling that baby up and move out.
I wonder how tall of a Bi-pod, you'd have to use for that? Mac

Pretty soon, no drop or drift...

Wow, a hand held rail gun.

Don't quite understand them using blunt cylindrical projectiles with no formed nose cone. Aerodynamics apply no matter the nature of the process to accelerate it.

So, aside from projectile shape, why do you think no drop or drift. Once the protective leave the magnetic rail, its subject to the same forces (gravity and wind) as a gun powder accelerated bullet, no?

I note, however, that they don't mention MV out of this thing.

hahaha...I laugh when they said "designed by rocket scientists" as I know some actual NASA rocket scientists and they ain't all that. Now, a theoretical physicist....that would impress! LOL

Thanks for post the vid.

They have been working on these for a while and keep improving it, it was 150 fps not that long ago, that one is listed at just under 250 fps with 1 oz. Still a long way to go but interesting stuff regardless.

If my math is right, it shoots 416 grain wadcutter'ish steel dowel pins at 284.68 fps, and the rifle weighs 43.125lbs. Good to see them making progress, but I'd have to keep this in the novelty category lol

I fully support this and hope it is real and comes to market just so I can watch Shannon watts shit herself

I’ll mount one on my F350.

Wonderful.

A quiet way to tear stuff up. Eliminate the suppressor and hearing protection. Count me in for a couple.

Do they take Amex?

Reactions: Badfinger
Fired level from a nominal shoulder height of 5', at 284.68 fps MV (per @MtnGhost), time of fall is 0.557 sec, so the "flat spot" will be the dirt of Flat Earth appx. 159' (53 yds) downrange :LOL:
1628366259537.png

Last edited:
I have been wanting to scale mine up, but time and money like normal. I built a baby one that can launch a rod across the shop that's about it. It would be badass once some of the design challenges are figured out.

When we create a battery the size of a TV remote that can hold as much charge as one of those li-ion behemoths that power one of the sit down and drive Tennant floor scrubbers, this stuff is going to get really interesting. Gauss tech is basically what powers the 'bolters' used by infantry in many military science fiction novels. Using electromagnetic energy to propel a tiny metal slug the size of a BB at such speed and energy that the BB ionizes and turns into a bolt of metal plasma traveling at 10,000+ FPS, just like the "liquid bayonet" jet emitted by an explosive-formed projectile mine, able to penetrate hard armor and cause devastating combo penetration and heat wounds to organic targets...

Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper
Pretty soon, no drop or drift...

IN THIS FORUM WE OBEY THE LAWS OF PHYSICS, HMFIC OR NOT!! :ROFLMAO:

Its still has drop. At long range it will still have coriolus drift (cause the Earth is still spinning).

Problem: Gunpowder is a VERY effcient way to store energy (kinda like Gasoline). I like the idea of a rail gun, but those magnets are gonna take a lot of energy to get up to speed (Also physics joke--What's the physics student's favorite field? Magnetic! Because they do no work! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Yes, total nerd--anywho). All that energy has to be stored or contained somewhere--and thats some pretty baddass level batteries.

Also the reason they are solid cylinders is probably (guessing here) for performance as pointed tips play hell on EM fields.

IN THIS FORUM WE OBEY THE LAWS OF PHYSICS, HMFIC OR NOT!! :ROFLMAO:

Its still has drop. At long range it will still have coriolus drift (cause the Earth is still spinning).

Problem: Gunpowder is a VERY effcient way to store energy (kinda like Gasoline). I like the idea of a rail gun, but those magnets are gonna take a lot of energy to get up to speed (Also physics joke--What's the physics student's favorite field? Magnetic! Because they do no work! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Yes, total nerd--anywho). All that energy has to be stored or contained somewhere--and thats some pretty baddass level batteries.

Also the reason they are solid cylinders is probably (guessing here) for performance as pointed tips play hell on EM fields.
I think he’s joking

Reactions: Tchitcherine
We played with these at General Dynamics... mathematically, they are incredible. And in practice, amazing velocities can be achieved if your gun is mounted on a train car like Anzio Annie.

The better use we found for the technology was shipboard materials movement... and replacing hydraulics.

But someday, these things will be a reality. Don't count them out!

Sirhr

We played with these at General Dynamics... mathematically, they are incredible. And in practice, amazing velocities can be achieved if your gun is mounted on a train car like Anzio Annie.

The better use we found for the technology was shipboard materials movement... and replacing hydraulics.

But someday, these things will be a reality. Don't count them out!

Sirhr
I think there is definitly a place in naval warfare for these things. Imagine a cruiser with a nuke plant....

Sorry my science jimmy just sprung....

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
I think there is definitly a place in naval warfare for these things. Imagine a cruiser with a nuke plant....

The navy just terminated their railgun program. They are also having problems with the magnetic catapults. It’s still an emerging tech. We will get it right at some point.

The Zumwalt class was going be fitted with electromagnetic rain guns. But the barrels keep Disintegrating because the projectile is traveling so fast. I’m pretty sure they will keep working on it until it’s doable. It seems to be the future.

Reactions: Salad_shooter
A 10 Watt laser would be much more effective and weigh a bit less.
I used to be in charge of a lab and I had a 20 kW laser… The number of permits and all the other crap I needed to have an order of the able to power it on was nuts.

I’m trying to find the add for it. They wanted to put it on a truck as anti everything. They wanted projectiles to explode in the air for intercepting missiles. The same exploding projectiles would be used to target soft targets on the ground, like a artillery. In the navel role, they wanted it to break apart over enemy ships taking out the radar. Then the ones that didn’t break up, are traveling so fast, they would rip right through the ship.

Really? I thought they we functionally deployed?
The new Gerald Ford class carrier is highly advanced. Many believe it had too much new tech on board. While it is progressing and will likely pass sea trials, it isnot without its issues.

Definitely interested in this. But by the time this is actually usable, it’ll take a back seat to lightsabers.
🤪

Was this a title to a Rush song? Sounds like it should be.

and soon he will build the death star on the moon in all its glory ha ha ha lol

Was this a title to a Rush song? Sounds like it should be.
😂😂😂. I literally just watched family guy where Peter goes to a rush concert in khaki pants and they call him out. Then they played a song called radio tower. Classic

On second thought, I could probably use this as a sadistic alarm clock to wake my ass up in the mornings 😂

Im looking for LL's review in a future podcast.

10 years from now there will be threads on the new Form 123 wait times and how their EM guns are in ATF jail.
Lol you are optimistic.

I doubt the commies let anything effective be legal as far as new inventions go

cool stuff! i'd prefer a smaller form factor and projectile at higher velocity, but hope they keep going.