• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Electronic Ears

JDT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2009
NC
Hey guys, need a little help with electronic ears. I've been using standard ear plugs or the surefire plugs. I've been really happy with the surefire, but after an hour or so they for some reason stop sealing. They are the most comfortable that I have used, but at a local match I was RO and had a terrible time with them sealing and after couple hours my ears were ringing. So Im interested in buying a set of electronic muffs, looked at the msa but haven't tried any. I've always used plugs due to the fear of not being able to get a good cheek weld with ear muffs. I will use these for all shooting applications from tactical carbine to long range shooting. If you have any suggestions even if they are plugs I would greatly appreciate the advice. The msa's were around $250, I don't mind that price range give or take as long as they are of good quality and not interfere or hinder my ability to shoot either carbine or rifle.

Re: Electronic Ears

I have a set. Off the top of my head I can't remember the brand, they work great for pistol. Not so good with rifle. With rifle I wear a set of ear plugs under them I got at a music supply store. The ear plugs have a small hole in them to help with the pressure so the are comfortable. The ear plugs in combo with the electronic muffs help to kill the sound and still be able to hear voices pretty well.

Thanks guys I'll check those out, has anyone had any dealing with the msa's. I wouldn't mind spending less money to try them out, could always let my son use the howard leight if I ended up being able to utilize the muffs instead of plugs.

I have been running the Howard Leight's for about 2 years now in the hot and cold and they work great for the money.

Good deal, that is one thing I was wondering was how they were effected by the cold. I think that was the problem with the surefire plugs, we were shooting a match and it was about 30 deg that day, so maybe that made the rubber not as flexible and harder to seal.

Ive have the Howard Leight's as well at some Peltor Tactical 7S'

Personally I like the Peltor's better, but both are really nice headsets.

If you are on a budget I'd go with the Howard's, if not, I'd go a little higher end.

Jus my opinion

I like the Howard Leight's and have several sets. I need several sets as they don't hold up well. I have a couple where the mic's have gone out in one ear. Not the same side and one has an obvious short and it works in both sides on occastion.

+1 on the Peltor 6S. You can pop the individual ears off the frame, and turn them over so that the thinner area is on the bottom. That gives you more stock clearance for rifle shooting.

I am using Howad Leight model LOF, this is non electronic model I got at Dicks Sporting. They allow for a decent check weld but not great. Stock is a Magpul CRT carbine type. Sound protection is not that great so I put another foam insert in each muff, not compressed so it did help some. Still would like better cheek weld.

My opinion on sound protection is from my perspective. I have hearing damage and loud sounds can be uncomfortable to painful. I wear a hearing aid when not shooting.

I would pay, within reason, pretty much whatever it costs to get a set of electronic muff with great amount of noise reduction with thin enough bottom part of earmuff so it will allow a really good checkweld.

Do such a set exist?

I have the analog in ear plugs from http://www.espamerica.com/. Pretty spendy but work great. Just put them in and forget about them until you leave the range. No worrying about your cheekweld either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the analog in ear plugs from http://www.espamerica.com/. Pretty
spendy but work great. Just put them in and forget about them until you leave the range. No worrying about your cheekweld either</div></div>
Those would be great but I can not wear something like that that fits tight in ear. Causes to much ear wax build up and I then can not hear at all and have to go to the ear doc to have ears cleaned. That's why I don't wear the in ear foam plugs.

My hearing aid is the type that does not go in ear. It has soft silicon thing that does not go into ear canal. See link below.

http://www.rexton.com/rexton/catalog/details.jsp?prodId=prod20012

I use thepeltor tactical 6s the benifit of peltors , ypu can replace the foam and ear pads for small sum when they wear out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the Peltor 6S. You can pop the individual ears off the frame, and turn them over so that the thinner area is on the bottom. That gives you more stock clearance for rifle shooting.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X from SRS Tactical. They are pretty good.
http://www.srstactical.ca/supreme.php#75302X</div></div>

Do both of these allow really good cheekweld?

Would the optional gel pads on the MSA allow better seal especially since I wear glasses?

I had pro ears for 6-7 years the had great protection but were uncomfortable after several hours. Bought msa Supreme pro x and got the gel inserts from triad tactical, Steve got them out quickly and was very well informed. They offer great protection and are so comfortable I can wear them all day, nearly forget I have them on. If your using them for hunting they have great sound amplification. They have a 5 year warranty and 600 hour battery life. Could not be happier with my purchase, have had them 5 months.

Merlinn

I've been using Sordin Supreme Pros since 2004. Use them indoors and outdoors with absolutely no issues. What little extra cost is involved with them is more than worth it as far as my hearing is concerned. And I have 3 pairs so that my shooting guests don't have any issues either.

Moe

My peltors work well. But I like surefire plugs when I don't want the bulk. I would check to see if you have correct size of earplugs and also if you just need a new set because your old ones are worn. The surefire website has a sizing chart.

+1 for the Peltor Tacsports. Great quality, noise suppression and sound amplification. No effect on cheek weld to boot.

The Sordin Supreme Pro is what I have been interested in so Im glad to hear that couple of you are happy with them. I don't mind spending the extra money on a good set as I ear protection is very important to me. Thanks for the other recommendations too. I've already checked out the Howard Leight and read some reviews on them too. Especially for the money to see if I can deal with shooting rifle with ear muffs. Some of the reviews on midways website seemed to be hit or miss. Some seemed to have great results with them and others not so much from what reviews I read. I will look into the peltors, they were actually the brand I have heard for years, but lately haven't read as much on them lately for some reason. Thanks again for the help this should get me headed in the right direction.

I just ordered the MSA Sordin Supreme III Pro+ part #75200 from Robert at http://srstactical.com/supreme.php

When I was trying to located a dealer who sold this model I called the USA office for MSA and was told that this model is not imported to the USA by MSA. I guess there marketing stratagy is to keep the best of Sordins products out of USA. Since MSA bought out Sordin they can do whatever they want.

Luckily I found Robert who is a longtime Sordin dealer who imports many of his products directly from Sweden or somewhere else in Europe.

He said that often times they can repair the units they sell avoiding a trip to Sweden. The lady I spoke to at MSA told me they do not repair the headsets sold through their distributors; they are returned to Sweden for repair.

I have the OD green Howard Leights and then my department issued me some peltors... I'll never use plugs again after having these. Never had an issued with check weld or anything.

You going to be using them under a helmet?

Peltors ComTac XP is not that good whit helmet.
At least whit our issued helmet.

We had Sordin msa pros and ComTac XPs. Almoust everyone who was using Peltor had headache after the day.

+Sordin is more durable. We had some problems whit Peltors durability. We did broke some Sordins(water was poison for MSA) as well but Peltors just didnt last. Noise compression of the
sound instead of cutting it is another big + for MSA.

I use Supreme pro-x(waterproof) whit gel pads while hunting/shooting. Best ones in my opinion.

Your ears will thank you...

http://www.triadtactical.com/MSA-Sordin-Supreme-Pro-X.html

Get the Gel inserts and they are almost too comfy. I get funny looks when walking into the clubhouse with my ears on
smile.gif

I have tried about all of them and wish i had purchased these first. I used to come home with a slight headache after a competition but not now. Its allot different if you are shooting by yourself or shooting with 30 other guys on the same firing line.

I have Peltors, Remington, Caldwell, and Impact Sports Muffs. I like the Impact Sport the best so far, followed by Peltor.

I also like the Peltor Flanged Plugs. They are cheap, and I keep several sets around in the Orange waterproof Match containers sold at Wal-Mart for $1. I keep them in the glove box in my truck, and my Ranger UTV, as well as in multiple gun cases. That way I have a set to use or loan when needed. I believe I got them from Mid South for $4.50 per 3 pr.

+1 This is not the most expensive set I own by any means, but the ones I run currently and enjoy them a lot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My current choice and review:

http://www.8541tactical.com/tacsport_review.php</div></div>

My issued Peltor's work great. How many of these other ones will fit under an ACH?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your ears will thank you...

http://www.triadtactical.com/MSA-Sordin-Supreme-Pro-X.html

Get the Gel inserts and they are almost too comfy. I get funny looks when walking into the clubhouse with my ears on
smile.gif

I have tried about all of them and wish i had purchased these first. I used to come home with a slight headache after a competition but not now. Its allot different if you are shooting by yourself or shooting with 30 other guys on the same firing line.
</div></div>

That headache is called a hangover Glen......

Anyway, I run the Peltor 6s and mine are starting to go to shit after about a year. I'm getting some pretty bad static and buzzing out of one side so I think it might be time for something different.

I recently got a set of MSA Supreme Pro x's. I really like them. I bought the gel inserts and they are very comfortable.

There are other choices that represent a better "bang for the buck" but if you are only concerned about which one has the best bang, the MSA's will be a great choice.

Then again....if you only care about the best, get a set of ESP analogs or even better, digitals. Custom molded to fit in your ear so there is no problem with rifle combs or helmets. Great sound suppression and fantastic amplification. ($800 -$2400 depending on model). If $250 is your limit, MSA is the best at that price.

Many great choices as in anything. Always comes down to how much you are willing to spend.

I think I'll end up going with the MSA's. I was interested in them to begin with, but I think you guys have confirmed they should be good to go. If I were going to try anything else for the money I think I will try the Howard Leights as Midway actually has them on sale for 49.99 right now. After listening to how many of you guys recommend the gel inserts I believe I'll have to add them too with the MSA's.

Just bought me a pair of the Howard Leight Impact Sport to try, $43.99 Dealer price at Midway so I figured why not try it?!

Although I wouldn't mind getting the MSAs, and if I escalate the number of shooting outings dramatically this year I will consider going to them, but for now I believe the Howard Leight will do me just fine.

Seems like you got an even better deal on them. I would be interested to know how you like them.

Bought the Sordin Pro Supremes recently. Excellent sound on them, but I have to double plug on an indoor range or under a roof at a shooting range. If I remember correctly, they have a decible reduction rating of 18. Outdoors I don't have to double up, though. Very comfortable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ronas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X from SRS Tactical. They are pretty good.
http://www.srstactical.ca/supreme.php#75302X</div></div>

Do both of these allow really good cheekweld?

Would the optional gel pads on the MSA allow better seal especially since I wear glasses? </div></div>

Sorry for the late reply...

My cheekweld is excellent. I’m sure you won’t have an issue with yours.

I bought the optional gel earmuff seals as well. They are far superior to the factory seals. I think they would work very well with glasses given that they are super gelly/soft and would just mould around the arms.

Ronas,

missed that myself. I ran the MSAs with the gel pads while wearing glasses and various eyepro (ESS, Oakley) in Iraq. While not in any firefights they were very good in the Blackhawks, C-130s, C-17s.

MSAs with the Gel Pads are one of the best ways to go if you are planning on using them a lot.
Triad Tactical is a vendor on this site and offers a pretty good deal on them.

If you are unsure about making the switch to electronic ears, try the Howard Leights out.
They are good quality and @ $50 it is tough to go wrong.

I too use the surefire Earpro primarily and am a big fan.
As per the instructions and also my experience, that it is important to replace them at least once a year though.
Every six months if you use them heavily.
The material start to not seal like you are talking about.
You also may want to look at the EP3 model.
They have an additional baffle and seem to seal better.

I liked the MSA Sordin Supreme III Pro+ part #75200 so much I order a pair of the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X part #75302-X. I ordered both pair with the optional gel pads that everyone recommended. I can see why, they seal better around glasses frames and are overall more comfortable.

With batteries installed they both weigh nearly the same, 14 oz. Surprisingly at least to me was that the Pro-X was about ½ oz heavier than the III Pro+

The III Pro+ model is the one I think is not as available in the States.

I used both pair yesterday at the range and the III Pro+ defiantly eliminated more offensive sound. I was shooting AR15 type rifle. Our range has concrete floor and is covered by a tin roof so the sound in there can real be amplified. Below is photo of both units.

copy_of_obr2.jpg

copy_of_sordin2.jpg