• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Electronic Game Callers

DeathBeforeDismount

Midpack Mafia
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2021
IN YOUR HEAD
Just getting into the predator hunting game and looking at electronic calls. There are so many options and prices are all over the place, not really sure where to start.

Plan to do some night hunting up in the mountains a few times a year. The easier to use with less programing or messing with menus, the better.

I noticed Europtic has a few refurbished fox pros like these https://www.eurooptic.com/FOXPRO-X1-REFURBISHED-Digital-Game-Call-X1.aspx.

Any help would be appreciated. Plan to hunt yotes, bobcats and some mountain lions.

I can only speak from experience of what I wouldn't do again. Game callers are pretty expensive for what they are, but hunting is relatively more expensive.

I picked up a cheap call to try it out. The batteries die if you don't take them out, the unit and control take two different batteries and it uses some oddball size I can barely find. The sounds are fine and it makes noise.

If I did it again I would get something that sounded more natural, that I could program, with an integral battery, a good control and that had a moving attachment on it to distract an animal. I think the X1 you linked might be a good option but I haven't played with them and I'm not a successful hunter for these animals. I'm thinking of getting a better one for coyote, bear and mountain lion.

ACC57CCC-0DA6-4027-B3A3-BD19F67B3231.jpeg

Not sure of the model bit ive had this for years with no issues. Folds up nice and has called in lots and lots of animals. Just snagged another used one off here couple weeks ago. It has lots of calls preloaded on it which is something to consider.

I built my own out of a plastic Harbor Freight 50 cal ammo can, bluetooth amplifier, a trumpet speaker, and an adapter to use my Makita 18v cordless drill battery to power it. I just use a predator call app from my phone.

I've only taken it out in the back yard once and didn't see anything but it did piss off the neighbors dogs a half a mile away.

All the name brands will work they have different versions of distress sounds. You pretty much get what you pay for.
Back in the 70's and 80's I ran a Johnny Stewart cassette player with a 25 foot cord and speaker. You don't have to place the caller more than 25 to 50 feet away.

I quit calling for awhile and about 20 years ago started up again. I used my old cassette player for awhile but it was big and cumbersome. I bought a Foxpro Scorpion which fits inside a jacket pocket. Foxpro service is excellent and are quick on repairs.

Not sure about all the Foxpros, but the ones I have been around run off 8 AA batteries. I got tired of trying to keep the battery charge pack charged so I went to bulk pack of AA and switch out when they die.

You can always try a mouth call. There is no correct or perfect way to call with one. It's just what works is all you need.

Fox pro fusion is a great caller. Easy to carry not to big has all the features of a high end fox pro but you can find for a good price.

I use a $20 bluetooth speaker from walmart and have the playlist on my phone.
Primos catnip works very good. Pulled coyotes out of the brush 4-500 yards away.
Piglet in distress has pulled in several sows. Be very carefull if you play the piglet and you are in thick brush. Getting charged is serious.

fox pro is a good call, one of the best but nothing beats a good mouth call and some one that knows how to use it.

fox pro is a good call, one of the best but nothing beats a good mouth call and some one that knows how to use it.
100% right. I mentioned the fox pro I like for electronic but almost all my calling not to mention success comes from my mouth calls. In fact I barely ever even use my e caller.

Reactions: afv338