• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Electronic Hearing

dteam702

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2011
California
I'm looking to buy a new set of electronic hearing protection, please recommend. Price is not and issue if something is a must have.. Thnx in advance...

Re: Electronic Hearing

So far, I have used the Howard Impacts. They do their job and I would recommend them. I am interested in stepping up to Peltors though. If price doesn't concern you Peltors are rated pretty good.

I love the Howard Leight Impact Sports, much prefer them to my Peltor Tacticals

You may wish to consider the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X. I've had them for two+ years now. Spend the extra money and get the upgraded gel earmuff seals.

I've used them in all kinds of weather with no problems. You can even wear them beneath a protective helmet if your job description requires it.

HTH.

Joe

I have owned 3 sets of Peltors (ComTac, SWATTac and 6S), 2 sets of MSA Sordins and 3 sets of Howard Leight Impacts for my agency as a T&E.

Over all the Peltors are the ones I will continue to spend the money on. They are the most robust. The Sordins and Peltors are equal when it comes to comfort and hearing protection. Though both sets of my Sordins have lasted less than 1 year each. The Sordins just don't handle day in day out abuse like Peltors. Specifically I find the electronics fail in the Sordins. One set of Peltors I used for 6 years and only replaced batteries and went through 4 or 5 hygiene kits. That set still works but the plastic molding has several cracks from being dropped and abused. The 6S are kind of a back up set and loaner set I use, they do not work well for shooting long guns because the muff interferes with obtaining a good check weld.

Howard Leights Impacts are ok for moderate use. Though the soft seals break down and do not handle heat, sun screen or bug spray well. I purchased a few sets of these for my agency and they lasted 9 months. First soft seals fell apart and the electronics failed in 2 sets with the 3rd set switching off and on during operation.

Peltors are pricey but in the long run you will buy one set that will outlast all the others.

Been using the Howard Imapct's for over 2 years now. I use them alot as I shoot in them and hunt in them. Actually I never fire a shot without them on. They have held up good. My ears do get a lil sore after wearing them all day long though.

I use a suppressor-- works great -- very comfortable espically since you dont have to wear anything
smile.gif

I was issued peltors and love them I dont baby mine at all and they are still kicking. Just make sure you get the higher end peltors their low end line just doesnt hold up anywhere near as well my unit tried them out and all the guys issued them seem to have had issues but the nicer ones I was issued have never failed and I have never seen any guys with the more expensive ones have issues. Another thing thats loads of fun with the peltors is if you crank the volume up a bit they actually can help you hear things farther off.

A great example was a shooting instructor I dealt with that would turn his peltors on and up then point the mics backwards so he could hear guys talking crap back behind the line. Definitely caught a few guys that way.

^^^^ I like to turn my up too, makes hearing the smack of the bullet hitting a prairie dog so much more enjoyable! haha

My vote is the Peltors. I'm a cheap ass, but I am extremely glad I spent the money on these. It takes some experimenting to get a good cheek weld without the muff raising off your ear. While they aren't the quietest when it comes to pure reduction compared to non-electronic muffs, since you are looking at electronic ones you already know the advantages. Quite a bit I catch myself still wearing them long after people have stopped shooting! (then I feel like a moron) They are that comfortable.

Sordin all the way!

I have the MSA Sordin and love them. However, I would listen to somebody like Cowboy_bravo who has tried several and has credible experience with them. Just because somebody likes theirs, doesn't mean there isn't something better.

Unfortunately we can't get them here in the land of Lincoln. However, I would be more than grateful if you sent me a can!!
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe Curnarski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You may wish to consider the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X. I've had them for two+ years now. Spend the extra money and get the upgraded gel earmuff seals.

I've used them in all kinds of weather with no problems. You can even wear them beneath a protective helmet if your job description requires it.

HTH.

Joe</div></div>

I second this. I have a set of the Sordin Supreme Pro-X's with the gel cups, and I love them!

If you do decide to purchase these, make sure the muffs are black and not green in color. The green ones are made in Europe, and the North American division of MSA will not warranty the European ones for whatever reason. You would have to send them to Europe if anything was to go wrong with them.

Triad Tactical is a supporting dealer on the site that stocks the Sordin line. It's where I ended up buying my set, prompt shipping. I recommend the Sordins, as well as Triad Tactical.