• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Elevation adj Leupold

308 Viking

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2020
I have a complete NEWB problem. I have mounted and sighted numerous scopes (mostly hunting).
I recently mounted a Leupold Vx3i LRP 8.5-25 w/a 20MOA base. I got on the 100yd range and started at 50 just to see where I was on paper. I am about 12" high and a couple inches left. Even higher at 100yd. I underatand the 20 MOA base is running it up and the zero needs to be 200, where my issue lyes is that I can't adjust the elevation lower, only higher.
I know this is going to be a simple answer for most of you but I am at a loss this time.

How much higher at 100?
Dial your scope DOWN 48 (1/4 MOA) clicks or 12 full MOA marks.
That base gives you an extra 20 MOA in elevation in your scope to use.
After dialing down, pull out your bolt and bore site the gun at 25 yards using a target and solid bench rest. It should be much closer now. At this point, move the crosshairs in the direction of the bullseye on the target. Once you are lined up, fire 3 rds at 100 yards and use the middle of those 3 to further adjust your crosshairs. 1 MOA is approx. 1" at 100 yrds.
It's good to understand how a scope works and you should take some time to get familiar with what happens to the reticle and POI when you turn the knobs. It can be confusing.

Are you bumping up against the zero-stop? Don't know about the Vx3i, but on my Mark 5's, you have to remove the turret and reset below the zero stop to adjust down.

Loosen the allen screws on the elevation turret. Dial in 20 MOA (you should not hear the turret spin just the cap. Tighten the allen screws back down and dial elevation down. You may need to adjust the zero stop.

I was a little vague in my detail.
I am bottomed out straight out of the box. I removed the Allen screw but it didn't seem to move freely. My issue is is the loose nut behind the trigger i'm sure.
I am familiar with bore sighting by removing the bolt and I am proficient in actually zeroing.

I was a little vague in my detail.
I am bottomed out straight out of the box. I removed the Allen screw but it didn't seem to move freely. My issue is is the loose nut behind the trigger i'm sure.
I am familiar with bore sighting by removing the bolt and I am proficient in actually zeroing.
That scope has 80 MOA / 23.3 MILS so a 20 MOA base causing you to be unable to get a 100 yard zero is basically impossible unless something is broken or incredibly out of spec somewhere (you should have 20 MOA of wiggle room {80/2 = 40, 40 -20 = 20}).

It also has a zero stop, which you are probably hitting.

You should dial it down as far as it can go (you should already be here since you say you can't go any lower), should say 0 or slightly below 0 depending on how they do their zero stop. Then you loosen the set screws on top of the dial until it moves freely and dial up a bunch (ex 25 MOA). Your POI should be the same as before but now you will be able to dial down further as you will not be limited by the zero stop. Once your POA = POI you can do the same thing as before but instead of dialing up, you dial it to 0. And then you should be good to go.

I am also dumb AF and could be misunderstanding a whole bunch of things.

That scope has 80 MOA / 23.3 MILS so a 20 MOA base causing you to be unable to get a 100 yard zero is basically impossible unless something is broken or incredibly out of spec somewhere (you should have 20 MOA of wiggle room {80/2 = 40, 40 -20 = 20}).

It also has a zero stop, which you are probably hitting.

You should dial it down as far as it can go (you should already be here since you say you can't go any lower), should say 0 or slightly below 0 depending on how they do their zero stop. Then you loosen the set screws on top of the dial until it moves freely and dial up a bunch (ex 25 MOA). Your POI should be the same as before but now you will be able to dial down further as you will not be limited by the zero stop. Once your POA = POI you can do the same thing as before but instead of dialing up, you dial it to 0. And then you should be good to go.

I am also dumb AF and could be misunderstanding a whole bunch of things.
I think your explanation is spot on and I completly comprehend (I also am dumb AF)
I was pretty sure thats what I was supposed to do but when I removed the Allen it didnt seem to move freely and still clicked. I was at the range under a 1 hr time limit so I couldn't give it all the time I needed, i will remove it again this weekend and try.

I think your explanation is spot on and I completly comprehend (I also am dumb AF)
I was pretty sure thats what I was supposed to do but when I removed the Allen it didnt seem to move freely and still clicked. I was at the range under a 1 hr time limit so I couldn't give it all the time I needed, i will remove it again this weekend and try.
The manual said "screws" so there might be more than 1.