• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Elite 4200 6-24x50 with 20 moa base question

BobC

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Maine
I have a SPS Varmint in .308 with a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50. I am putting a 20 moa base on it. I have read that the scope will be about bottomed out if sighted in at 100 yds.. Will I run into problems down the road with the scope adjusted close to the limit for long periods of time? Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Elite 4200 6-24x50 with 20 moa base question

BobC, you might be close. The scope specs are about 48" - 50" adjustment at 100 yards depending on which model. In theory, you should have enough adjustment.

I had enough room with mine with a 20 MOA base. I've since switched to 0 MOA bases and Burris Signature rings with inserts and I use the inserts to get the elevation I want.

I think you'd likely be OK. I've never heard of problems with leaving a zero towards the bottom of the scope. All of mine are that way but the do get turned pretty regularly for 500 yard shooting (which really isn't that much, I know).

To answer your question: No...it shouldn't hurt the scope to remain on the extreme end of the elevation setting.

BUT...with that said, you may want to reconsider the 20MOA base depending on how far you plan on shooting with your rifle. With only approx. 50MOA of internal adjustment on the scope you are considering (25MOA in each direction from mechanical center), you aren't leaving yourself much margin for getting the rifle sighted in at shorter ranges like you propose to do. Also, remember that the closer you get to the extreme ends of your elevation adjustment, the more windage adjustment you lose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a SPS Varmint in .308 with a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50. I am putting a 20 moa base on it. I have read that the scope will be about bottomed out if sighted in at 100 yds.. Will I run into problems down the road with the scope adjusted close to the limit for long periods of time? Thanks in advance for any help.
</div></div>

I've got the SFP 30mm Bushnell 6-24x50 SF. Realistically, you'll have between 44-46 MOA of total travel. I've got a Badger 20 MOA rail on my Savage LE2b and I have about 35 MOA of travel after mounting.

I'm able to get to 1k if A) I shoot some hot 155s or B) I use holdover.

I've got more than a few MOA of DOWN left, with a 100 yd zero, so this isn't a problem.

The FFP 6-24x50 supposedly has a few more MOA, but won't change things too much, you'll still need a 20 MOA rail to get to 1k and even then, you might still need holdover depending on the load you shoot.

Chris

Agree with Chris. I have a 6-24x50 SF scope on a 700 and you should be fine @ 100 yards with a 20MOA base unless your receiver is way out of whack. I ended up with 5 MOA down and 39 MOA up after a 100 yard zero. All of the 6-24x50 Elite scopes are advertised with 50MOA but at least three I've read about, plus mine, actually only have 44-46 MOA of travel. Looks like Chris' has about the same travel as well.

Thanks for the help. I'll give the 20 moa a try. If I don't like it for some reason I can always change back.