• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Elk Hunting Packs

MallNinja243

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2020
I plan to do some archery hunting in CO and/or WY, either starting 2020 or 2021. In the interest of not looking like Jeb Clampitt headed up a mountain side with my tongue following behind me, what are some good day packs that I can attach my bow bag to? I want something that is going to be designed to be well balanced and streamline. I'm not too worried about color as long as it is fairly basic. Krylon and some outside time can fix that.

Basically, I would like to not look like a boated storage unit while climbing my fat ass up the side of a mountain.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Look at kifaru. They make excellent bags. They have a variety of sizes and shapes and are very modular. Go minimal or go giant. Get what you need. Theyre a bag that will last a lifetime.
Xdeano

Lots of info around. Kifaru. Exo Mountain Gear. Mystery Ranch. All good packs that will suit your needs just fine.

Thanks for the suggestions! I ordered an Exo K3 6400. It's much lighter than my American Pride pretty compact but big enough to do whatever I need it to. Also has about a million straps. It should ship in 3 weeks or so, once the backorder clears.

Thanks for the suggestions! I ordered an Exo K3 6400. It's much lighter than my American Pride pretty compact but big enough to do whatever I need it to. Also has about a million straps. It should ship in 3 weeks or so, once the backorder clears.

The 6400 is HUGE, way more than you need for hunting elk unless you're doing 7-10 day backpack hunt in the wilderness. They designed the 6400 for backcountry sheep in BC/Alaska. Just a suggestion from a guy that does it alot, see if you can change your order to the 3200 or 4800.

I use an EXO 2200 for most of my elk hunts, I mainly hunt from trailheads or with horses so I'm not packing in camp on my back. I have packed out alot of elk in them, the frames are awesome.

All the EXO bags use the same frame, which is what you use for hauling meat. The bag is just for gear, most guys hunt with way too much gear in there bag which equates to alot of excess weight.

Reactions: TheDalmore
The 6400 is HUGE, way more than you need for hunting elk unless you're doing 7-10 day backpack hunt in the wilderness. They designed the 6400 for backcountry sheep in BC/Alaska. Just a suggestion from a guy that does it alot, see if you can change your order to the 3200 or 4800.

I use an EXO 2200 for most of my elk hunts, I mainly hunt from trailheads or with horses so I'm not packing in camp on my back. I have packed out alot of elk in them, the frames are awesome.

All the EXO bags use the same frame, which is what you use for hauling meat. The bag is just for gear, most guys hunt with way too much gear in there bag which equates to alot of excess weight.

I appreciate that. Will have to double check and look at options.

I agree that the 6400 is way too big unless you are taking your camp in with you on your back. I run a KUIU 2200 and my buddy runs the Exo that’s comparable (2200 ish). It’s more than big enough for a day pack. What I’ve learned is that if you have a big pack, the tendency is to put too much in it. Most times I leave camp my 2200 is only half full. I could get by with a 1600-1800, but I like the full frame for packing quarters. You will want to strip every ounce possible after your first trip up the mountain.

I use a 2200 also for elk. Works for a 1-3 day archery trip but beyond that the 3600 range is good for me for a 5 day. That 6400 is huge.

I appreciate that. Will have to double check and look at options.

All Exos compress down to about the same size. The 6400 will work great for that. My buddy went thru the same thing, and went 6400 and is glad he did. Configured in day pack mode, it's very hard to see or feel the difference between 6400 and a smaller Exo bag. The weight difference is also negligible. In my opinion their 6400 is the most versatile of all their bags.

I run their 4800, and their layout, meat shelf design, and comfort are top of the line. Good luck!

That is a lot of weight and volume to tote around in the steep hills.

From experience as a guide and user, if you have the pack room its easy to fill it up Vs packing the necessities. I been all over the state of Alaska winter and summer up to a week with 3500ci not really needed much more.

Many options out there these days if you dropping those kind of nuggets, probably too late but

All Exos compress down to about the same size. The 6400 will work great for that. My buddy went thru the same thing, and went 6400 and is glad he did. Configured in day pack mode, it's very hard to see or feel the difference between 6400 and a smaller Exo bag. The weight difference is also negligible. In my opinion their 6400 is the most versatile of all their bags.

I run their 4800, and their layout, meat shelf design, and comfort are top of the line. Good luck!

The truth is, couple extra pound in the bag won't hurt me as much as the extra 25-30 hanging out behind my belly button. I prefer to have a pack that I can tote everything to a fixed position and compress from there.

Honestly depends on your budget.

I currently use a Kuiu Icon 7200.
Its very adjustable, and light weight!

Good thread. Have been looking at swapping out a couple of my Eberlestock packs for lighter material options. Have a Gunrunner for a day pack and at 1k ci it's just a little small and a dragonfly for multiday and it's just so heavy. Hoping to find two similar use packs with lighter materials. Been looking at Stone Glacier but need to look more at the other options.

I'm still just using a North Face day pack that I've had for general purpose for years. I've hunted with guys in Colorado during archery season that seem to carry around every piece of gear they own, which I don't get. If you're just walking in for the day, you don't really need all that much.

I have a Kuiu. I'd buy another one. I'd also buy a Stone Glacier or Mystery Ranch.

If you don't mind the weight a Eberlestock bag is really nice, but HEAVY!