• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Elk Hunting round for 300 weatherby mag

k7714

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2008
South West, FL
Looking for some good round ideas for my friends trip elk hunting. I have no experience with this round. i was told 400 yards and in, and southern CO if i remember correctly.

Looking for ammo that can be purchased online quickly, etc.

thanks guys.

K

Re: Elk Hunting round for 300 weatherby mag

If you are gonna use factory ammo just get Remington Brand 180's. They are cheap and the Cor-Lokt bullet has held up great in our experience. They also do sub-MOA out our Vanguards. I have used Weatherby factory ammo loaded with Hornady 180 SP's and had that round disinegrate in a cow at 50 yds. If you want to spend $80/box then you can get any premium bullet.

Look into the HSM ammo. They offer a loaded ammo that used Berger VLD's. I know that Cabelas has quite a bit of their ammo in stock but haven't looked for the 300WBY.

so is 180 gr. the go to size for elk?

$$ doesn't matter, the trip is expensive enough, so saving 20 bucks on ammo here or there isn't a factor, i would like to get him 6 different boxes of ammo, so he can run through a few rounds sighting in, check accuracy and have enough for the hunt. oh, and get them delivered in the next week. Just wondering experiences with barnes vs. etc. etc, etc.

Thanks again

Kevin

Federal premium has worked well for me. They make it with several great hunting bullets. At reasonable distances, the accuracy should be good. Barnes TSX, Nosler Partition or Accubonds, Trophy Tip Bear Claw. At least one of those should perform well inhis rifle.

180gr isn't necessarily the go to weight but it is more than adequate and probably the most popular. As mentioned above if you can get Berger Bullets from HSM then that is an excellant bullet. Any premium bullet is sufficient. What brand/model is the rifle you'll be using ?

180 Accubond and don't look back, I have both 300 and 30-378 Why and use the Accubond and love them for Elk.

Good luck and good shooting,
Paul

My 300 Wby prefers 180 TSX's. I have no problem with elk inside of 500 yrds. I reload, so I can't help ya too much with factory rounds. The 220 core-loks that i did try printed like an 870 at 100.

-c