• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Elk Hunting - What do you carry or wish you had?

TangoSierra916

God, Family, Country
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 11, 2017
    Midwest USA
    Hey everyone,

Im planning an elk hunt in Colorado next season and am looking into gear to acquire for the hunt. It will likely be a walk in X miles, setup a stalking type shot and take a shot (once herd movement/location is understood a bit) Elk willing, but I want to flexible in-case the stalking style doesnt work out.

My current kit includes:
    -Suppressed AXMC LA, ATACR 7-35, w/bipod and arca swiss plate for tripod
    -Eberlestock Operator Scout-Sniper Pack
    -Knife/dressing kit for cleaning, quartering, etc.
    -emergency med kit
    -ammo, torque wrench, enough tools to field fix anything I'm carrying
    -Carbon Fiber Tripod with arca swiss attachment
    -Food, water for one day (as the hunts will be day outings)
    -Flashlights
    -Orange apparel
    -Cell phone, licenses, map, wallet, etc.
    -Sig Kilo 2400 ABS Range Finder
    -DOPE Log Book

Things I need:
    -Binoculars
    -chem lights
    -Extra food and water
    -spotting scope
    -What else???

I feel like the list is not comprehensive, so ild love to hear any insights you all may have as to what else to bring or not bring. thank you!

note: Ive read a few great posts as well, "Hunting with my AXMC" by @Covertnoob5 and "Hauling heavy rifles" by @NateVA . Both of these were very helpful, thanks to all who contributed.

Last edited:
    Headlamps. If you end up getting something late in the day/evening it’ll be your best friend. Bring layers, don’t know how the weather will be but layers are always good so you can add or remove in order to avoid sweating.
    Train with day hikes or on a treadmill or something with weight in your pack similar to what it’ll weigh when kitted out for your hunt.
    You’ll soon see whether you want to take certain things or not.

-Emergency space blanket
    -Fire starter
    -Maybe 1 more day of food and water
    You have a medkit but it might take you days to get out if you are wounded.

Headlamps. If you end up getting something late in the day/evening it’ll be your best friend. Bring layers, don’t know how the weather will be but layers are always good so you can add or remove in order to avoid sweating.
    Train with day hikes or on a treadmill or something with weight in your pack similar to what it’ll weigh when kitted out for your hunt.

Yeah definitely good call there on the training. I’ve been training at taking shots with elevated heart rate and cold weather too, to get exposure to different scenarios.

I’d also say walking sticks. Especially with a heavy pack like you plan on carrying. Those prove their worth every time I go out.

With that pack and gear I’d guess no less than 50 lbs is what it’ll weigh. So train with at least that much if not more.
    I don’t know how you plan on carrying the rifle but train with that a few times even if it’s just in the house. To include delpoying the rifle quickly from your carry method.

When I went on my first bear hunt, we were given some sound advise. Dress up and load up with all the crap (no substitutions or close enough stuff) your taking then go walk 10 miles. Only me and one other guy did it. We did it 3-4 time (can’t remember) because every time we found holes in our plan. The others dident and they regretted it. Bitching and complaining on a once and a life time hunt the whole time. Personaly, I agree with all the gear recommendations you have received. Great advise. I would however drop the Tripod. But that puts us into the whole debate over hunting vs shooting. Good luck on your hunt. Shoot a big one or a small one, it’s still and Elk!

When I went on my first bear hunt, we were given some sound advise. Dress up and load up with all the crap (no substitutions or close enough stuff) your taking then go walk 10 miles. Only me and one other guy did it. We did it 3-4 time (can’t remember) because every time we found holes in our plan. The others dident and they regretted it. Bitching and complaining on a once and a life time hunt the whole time. Personaly, I agree with all the gear recommendations you have received. Great advise. I would however drop the Tripod. But that puts us into the whole debate over hunting vs shooting. Good luck on your hunt. Shoot a big one or a small one, it’s still and Elk!

Thanks for the advice there, the 10 mile walk is a good call, it will probably bring back memories of 12 mile ruck marches we used to do. :) I appreciate the insight again!

3' of duct tape rolled up flat like a pack of matches. Good for keeping your barrel dry and if you end up with a nasty blister.

Asswipe

Cut your toe nails

Wear your boots every day. Then wear them more to break your feet in.

Spare socks and sock liners if you like them.

Don't skimp on binoculars.

If you're packing out, get fly proof game bags.

A pair of hiking poles do double duty as a shooting rest. Way lighter than a tripod

3' of duct tape rolled up flat like a pack of matches. Good for keeping your barrel dry and if you end up with a nasty blister.

Asswipe

Cut your toe nails

Wear your boots every day. Then wear them more to break your feet in.

Spare socks and sock liners if you like them.

Don't skimp on binoculars.

If you're packing out, get fly proof game bags.

A pair of hiking poles do double duty as a shooting rest. Way lighter than a tripod

Asswipe! That’s awesome and true. Thanks for the insight, I think the next buy is nice binos for sure.

Judging by your rifle and optic, you can swing top tier Binos. This is huge for hunting imho. Look at Leica, swaro, Zeiss And get whichever one you like best. You will likely spend several hours a day behind them.
    Think about a quality spotter as well.

Reactions: TangoSierra916

I take chem-lights too. Light & handy as backups or if you are off trail for laying markers.... I tested mine down to -6 in the freezer to make sure they functioned in the cold.

I take chem-lights too. Light & handy as backups or if you are off trail for laying markers.... I tested mine down to -6 in the freezer to make sure they functioned in the cold.

Great advice there, thank you!

Judging by your rifle and optic, you can swing top tier Binos. This is huge for hunting imho. Look at Leica, swaro, Zeiss And get whichever one you like best. You will likely spend several hours a day behind them.
    Think about a quality spotter as well.

Appreciate the help, on the bino front would you swing for rangefinding binos? I’ll have the sig 2400abs but wasn’t sure if the extra capability would be good to have.

I really like having rangefinding binos. Can’t imagine going back to carrying both.
    I agree with the headlamp(s)

Put new, premium batteries in everything and bring extras. Lithium batteries seem to do better in very cold weather.

I really like having rangefinding binos. Can’t imagine going back to carrying both.
    I agree with the headlamp(s)

Put new, premium batteries in everything and bring extras. Lithium batteries seem to do better in very cold weather.

So with your rf binos do you use a Kestrel too or just dope charts/notes? Thanks

I'm not trying to be overly critical if your current gear setup, but I would lose a lot of weight if I were you. I would get rid of your tools, if something goes that wrong. Go back to the truck and fix the issue. Also, bring a liter of water and get a purification filter and use streams to refill that liter bottle over and over. Carrying water is no fun because you will go through a lot in a day. Last thing I would say, forget about a spotting scope. If you see elk, half the distance and use your binos to see what you got. Even at a mile with a good set of binos you can see if it's got horns.

In my years of elk hunting I've learned lighter is better. I kept bringing extra stuff I never used. Food, water, and additional clothing are the things you NEED.

If you you are set on using the ai and tripod, cut weight elsewhere.

I'm not trying to be overly critical if your current gear setup, but I would lose a lot of weight if I were you. I would get rid of your tools, if something goes that wrong. Go back to the truck and fix the issue. Also, bring a liter of water and get a purification filter and use streams to refill that liter bottle over and over. Carrying water is no fun because you will go through a lot in a day. Last thing I would say, forget about a spotting scope. If you see elk, half the distance and use your binos to see what you got. Even at a mile with a good set of binos you can see if it's got horns.

In my years of elk hunting I've learned lighter is better. I kept bringing extra stuff I never used. Food, water, and additional clothing are the things you NEED.

If you you are set on using the ai and tripod, cut weight elsewhere.

I agree with this. I’m not tryin to criticize your equipment list but there ain’t no way in hell I would carry all your stuff. Days worth of food- like jerky, nuts, granola bars. Water bottle and a life straw. Knives and a little diamond stone. Game bags for packin out quarters or boned out meat. Matches in a water proof container. Baby wipes. Good Binos and rangefinder or combo. One thing I really like is either a binocular harness or a little chest bag. Not exactly sure of the proper term for it but mine is a badland brand I believe. Also a little first aid kit with a decent assortment of items. Good boots are huge in elk country. I recommend kenetrex. And with clothes, layers are your friend. GPS is a must. I’m sure I’m forgetting something but hope this helps.

Very good points, I appreciate the help!

make sure the med kit has 2 or 3 tourniquet. 1 is great until there is a shitmess that hits your leg and arm, with just one youll just die slower.
    also make sure you know how to use the stuff in your IFAK, no use in having a bag of goodies that you dont know how to use.

as said up top:

drop the flashlight and get a headlamp. lighter and doesnt need a had to operate.

dump the tripod use shooting sticks tied together. 10 miles in elk country...youll want that 2 lbs off your hips.

dump the spotting scope use your binos and scope.

instead of tools and torque wrenches make a couple of indicating marks on on the important stuff (scope mount screws) and just carry 1-2 tools/keys that you cut down to the bare minimum size. if things are loose something went wrong and you will have to resight in anyway so exact measurements dont matter.

bottle or bladder and a water filter (your choice).

have fun

Assuming you are going on your own, unguided, probably the most critical item is your spotting scope or good binos to find elk. If you are buying new binos consider RFs like Leica Geovid and leave your RF at home. Agree with the general principle of keeping it light and getting in great shape. Bring back up for your headlamp, if you get an elk you'll probably be using it.

My full list for back country elk hunting (one day only):

Rifle with long bipod (tikka t3x 7mm rem, Leupold vx5hd 3-15x44)
    Short bipod
    10 rounds of ammo
    Swavoski El range 10x42 (brother in law uses leica geovid 15x56 and swears by them, but they are kinda heavy)
    Kuiu icon pro 3200
    Variety of food, high carb, high calorie (I'm a diabetic, I don't want to be caught low in the middle of nowhere)
    64oz bladder half full
    Water filter
    Headlamp
    Gps
    Extra LITHIUM batteries
    Havalon and at least 5 blades
    Wyoming saw
    Game bags
    Extra gloves, extra hat, extra socks, extra lightweight long underwear, extra coat(core4element that squishes down to nothing)
    Vaseline
    Foot blister protection patches
    Junk t shirt for use as a rag or as toilet paper
    Two lighters
    Firestarter packs (little tablet things)
    Two pens(for tag)
    Extra pair of boots laces

I feel like that is too much weight, but I can't go much lighter. Every thing adds a little and you need a lot of little things things

When it is multi day I go to a icon pro 5200, add a enlightened equipment sleeping bag, seek outside tent, small titanium stove, mountain House meals and jet boil. The tent and stove is very manageable in a 2 man crew.

Last edited:
    as said up top:

drop the flashlight and get a headlamp. lighter and doesnt need a had to operate.

dump the tripod use shooting sticks tied together. 10 miles in elk country...youll want that 2 lbs off your hips.

dump the spotting scope use your binos and scope.

instead of tools and torque wrenches make a couple of indicating marks on on the important stuff (scope mount screws) and just carry 1-2 tools/keys that you cut down to the bare minimum size. if things are loose something went wrong and you will have to resight in anyway so exact measurements dont matter.

bottle or bladder and a water filter (your choice).

have fun

yeah your thoughts are what I was leaning towards, getting some nice binos and use the 7-35 as the spotter. One less thing to carry and buy.

Bring parachute cord to hang quarters, skip the spotting scope - your rifle scope is better (maybe too much scope) than most spotting scopes and you don’t need two of them. Cow call and bugle call.

You are a flat lander based on profile. what ever you are planning on packing in the mountains train with 1.5x to 2x the weight. My set up is 28lbs I train with 55lbs. Light is right especially on days 5 and 6.

You are a flat lander based on profile. what ever you are planning on packing in the mountains train with 1.5x to 2x the weight. My set up is 28lbs I train with 55lbs. Light is right especially on days 5 and 6.

Yeah from Co originally and now I’m the Midwest. But totally agree on the training technique, the elevation and quicker exhaustion I’m training to as well. Thanks for the help

Yeah from Co originally and now I’m the Midwest. But totally agree on the training technique, the elevation and quicker exhaustion I’m training to as well. Thanks for the help

Ok you know the deal then. First guy I took elk hunting showed up in a snowsuit made for snowmobiling and was in terrible shape. Put him by a tree after an hour told him you stay here the elk will come out there. Two hours later he killed a bull, the stars aligned on that hunt.

Good luck, where hoping to go to Wyo this fall.

Ok you know the deal then. First guy I took elk hunting showed up in a snowsuit made for snowmobiling and was in terrible shape. Put him by a tree after an hour told him you stay here the elk will come out there. Two hours later he killed a bull, the stars aligned on that hunt.

Good luck, where hoping to go to Wyo this fall.

Damn that’s crazy, people never cease to amaze lol good luck to you as well! A Wyoming hunt would be a blast!