• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Elon musk. Mastermind!

As much as I know it’s not popular , I’m waiting to hear from @Choid . He does see to have some insight on these things. That or he’s a Theis of finances.
I like seeing @Choid opinion on this kind of stuff. He's very different than I am but we have a good amount of common ground on the principle matters so, it's interesting

The real question is what violations will Twitter start to have from .gov if they start allowing the free speech Elon wants? IOW, if they don't comply in pushing the "narrative of the day". Im sure there is some hate speech law that every social media outlet has or easily can run afoul of.
Probably not. I also wouldn't imagine that Musk would allow some of the more egregious shit out there. If I had to guess, it would just be more rule based and less arbitrary, but I wouldn't expect that everything would go. Remember, as much as Musk is an "outisder" in that he is more dedicated to free speech than many, he is also a guy whose bread is buttered with subsidies and government contracts. He really isn't a fringe actor.

The fact that he is seen as a fringe actor is great evidence of how far gone the chattering class is.

Lol, well I have never asked anybody here for any money, so not Theis.

This really isn't my part of finance. I've always invested money for people, never worked as a banker, but my guess is that the board right now is doing everything it can to make sure big institutions don't want to take the tender.
Post #855 in the inflation thread:
#855 - Choid
"I am one of those bankers (retired.)"

I am one of those bankers (retired.) But what you are suggesting doesn't actually make sense. I understand the fear, I suppose, but it is pretty hard to imagine a world in which all prices are skyrocketing except the price of labor. In that case, who has the money to support the skyrocketing price of goods? Aliens? If there is hyperinflation, money will be very available, it will just be worthless. There is practically zero scenarios where prices are rising very quickly and there is no money anywhere.

Things don't tend to go only one way when there is a financial crunch. We tend to think they always go the way of the last one, but it isn't the case. Different sectors and populations get hit differently, depending on the drivers of the crisis and the response. But the absolute rule is that if you have massive inflation, something that was worth a dollar yesterday is worth less than that today. And so it is for debt. When you think about historical hyperinflation, you think about Germans burning wads of money for heat, right? What you don't realize is that not only were those wads of money worthless, but they were, numerically, more than the Germans had before. Exponentially. And it is in this degraded, ubiquitous currency that you would be paying back your debt. So it really would be the best investment if you were right about inflation.

I'll leave this here, from another thread:

"I realize that I am not supposed to mention that I worked in fine dining restaurants around the US and Europe for a year and a half in the early 90s when I was trying to figure out what to do with my life, lol..."

Last edited:
#855 - Choid
Oh man, you really got me. Banker, in that sense, is a general term, using his term. I have been very clear what I did for a living here.

#855 - Choid

I'll leave this here, from another thread:

"I realize that I am not supposed to mention that I worked in fine dining restaurants around the US and Europe for a year and a half in the early 90s when I was trying to figure out what to do with my life, lol..."
Ah, well now you surely have me figured out. I mean it's not like there aren't plenty of well known people and vendors on the Hide here that have spent a lot of time with me and on the phone that you couldn't actually find out. Do you want Hide references, or would you like to keep fantasizing?

Reviving an old discussion, with an opinion.

I think we will witness Elon, the "Golden Boy", start to lose some of his glitter. Headlines over the past year stated his wealth at $237 Billion +/-. I've heard quotes from some of his top managers that go something like this "He bring's out the best".. "He makes me want to work harder", etc... I've watched some of the hardest working people burn out working for a man like that. I have also watched public opinions evolve about men, over time. I'm told Elon holds 100 of patents, perhaps thousands by now. In order for Elon to maintain his glitter, something he does will have to filter down to the masses. I'm not suggesting he build homeless shelters, feed the poor or save the whales..... He builds cars. If (and that's a big IF) he could build a car that the average, hard working American could afford to buy and maintain, that would be noteworthy. He builds rockets. Do those rockets really benefit the population of the world ? He places Starlink satellites in space. So ? And then there was the Twitter events.

It would seem that his endeavors, at some point, should begin to balance out with humanity. How much money and power does one man need ?

Reactions: MJF
average price of a new car in 2023

$48,008

As of March 2023, the average price of a new car is $48,008, according to Kelley Blue Book. Although the current average transaction price decreased by 3% from December 2022 to March 2023, it's still 27.8% higher than pre-pandemic prices.

Image 7-4-23 at 8.33 AM.jpg

His rockets are a private venture vs. a .gov model. So, I would argue his rockets indeed benefit the population of the World as it has brought the price per lb. to send something into space down dramatically and gives another avenue for those in need of those services. His satellite internet is a game changer for anyone not in range of a cell tower or a cable connection. He opened up free speech on Twitter. And fighting Mark Zuckerberg is just icing on the cake.

What have you contributed to society this past year?

Reactions: NoDopes and lash
average price of a new car in 2023

View attachment 8175671

His rockets are a private venture vs. a .gov model. So, I would argue his rockets indeed benefit the population of the World as it has brought the price per lb. to send something into space down dramatically and gives another avenue for those in need of those services. His satellite internet is a game changer for anyone not in range of a cell tower or a cable connection. He opened up free speech on Twitter. And fighting Mark Zuckerberg is just icing on the cake.

What have you contributed to society this past year?
I'd have to agree. He's done a massive amount with just Twitter and this is the very beginning. It will be an entire ecosystem. The fact that he places a premium value on free speech and that is baked into the ecosystem he wants to create is a HUGE thing for people Iike us, given the banks and credit card outfits are already trying to stop us from buying guns and such among a lot of other issues.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Reviving an old discussion, with an opinion.

I think we will witness Elon, the "Golden Boy", start to lose some of his glitter. Headlines over the past year stated his wealth at $237 Billion +/-. I've heard quotes from some of his top managers that go something like this "He bring's out the best".. "He makes me want to work harder", etc... I've watched some of the hardest working people burn out working for a man like that. I have also watched public opinions evolve about men, over time. I'm told Elon holds 100 of patents, perhaps thousands by now. In order for Elon to maintain his glitter, something he does will have to filter down to the masses. I'm not suggesting he build homeless shelters, feed the poor or save the whales..... He builds cars. If (and that's a big IF) he could build a car that the average, hard working American could afford to buy and maintain, that would be noteworthy. He builds rockets. Do those rockets really benefit the population of the world ? He places Starlink satellites in space. So ? And then there was the Twitter events.

It would seem that his endeavors, at some point, should begin to balance out with humanity. How much money and power does one man need ?
So much misinformation in one post.

Elon doesn't believe in patents, he has said it many many times.

He does build a car that the average person can own. The Model Y just became the best selling vehicle worldwide for Q1 this year. Beating out the Corolla. If that doesn't tell you something, I don't know what will.

I really don't think he is in it for the money or power. It's not like he has a bunch of multimillion dollar yachts and homes everywhere. He isn't rolling around every day in thousand dollar suits. I dress better then Elon. lol

So much misinformation in one post.

Elon doesn't believe in patents, he has said it many many times.

He does build a car that the average person can own. The Model Y just became the best selling vehicle worldwide for Q1 this year. Beating out the Corolla. If that doesn't tell you something, I don't know what will.

I really don't think he is in it for the money or power. It's not like he has a bunch of multimillion dollar yachts and homes everywhere. He isn't rolling around every day in thousand dollar suits. I dress better then Elon. lol

I don't bait easily.

. His satellite internet is a game changer for anyone not in range of a cell tower or a cable connection.

I have worked for one of the big three carriers for 25 years now. IMO, Starlink will eventually be the industry’s disrupter that changes “cellular “ forever. If they can figure out the modulation to put a reasonable about of handsets in each Sat unit and get them a clean DL of around 3MBPS, cellular in all but the densest places will go away. Carriers will save billions on tower rent, telco backhaul, power bills, equipment cost and replacement. It’s the beginning of the end for guys like me, but for the consumer to have an affordable Sat capable phone in their pocket I believe will eventually be both terrific, and sad for us as a people who already struggle to get our faces out of these fucking phones.

On a different note, I hear Musk lifted the restrictions on Twitter allowing downloads of more than two hours, giving long form podcasters another option. IMO, a very good move as YouTube and Apples deplatforming policies can ruin a persons business overnight and they can’t do shit about it. Good for Musk, and for Twitter.

Bad news...

https://twitter.com/elonmusk?ref_sr...w-still-negative-ad-revenue-drops-2023-07-15/
Elon Musk

@elonmusk
·
Follow
We’re still negative cash flow, due to ~50% drop in advertising revenue plus heavy debt load. Need to reach positive cash flow before we have the luxury of anything else.
11:08 PM · Jul 14, 2023