• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

ELR filming?

Catwhacker

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2012
W TX
Just wondering what y'all are using to film ELR shots. I've been using a JVC SD card camcorder from Best Buy. Definitely nothing special or fancy. Any input or experience is appreciated

I haven't filmed much ELR stuff yet, but we plan on it... I have about 4 different cameras that we will use, a couple from the FFP, another midway, and yet another at target... One of the best pieces of kit for this is a Hi quality spotter, and digiscope mount...
I'm running the Swarovski STS-80 HD w/20-60X eyepiece and galaxy 3 with PhoneScope.

Skinny, you really need to film some stuff. I've been bugging you about that for years. ;)
Xdeano

I've done some looking at the phone adapters, but don't know anyone that uses one. I have a Zeiss 20-60x85 spotter that I could use to film with an adapter. I filmed myself shooting at 168 yds with just the JVC camera, but it wasn't anything to write home about. It was just good enough to see the steel move.

It's hard to beat the smart phone adapters from Smartoptix and Vision Pro Shop

I've done some looking at the phone adapters, but don't know anyone that uses one. I have a Zeiss 20-60x85 spotter that I could use to film with an adapter. I filmed myself shooting at 168 yds with just the JVC camera, but it wasn't anything to write home about. It was just good enough to see the steel move.

It's gonna be better than filming solo with your JVC... assuming your shooting in HD.

I'm considering getting a TargetCam but you'd need a "digitizer" in order to record to a memory card but they do free shipping in the US for Sniper's Hide members :)
I'm thinking of getting a GoPro 3 since I don't "really" need to see where I hit...

panasonic hc-v520m is without a doubt the best you can buy for under 500$ heres a link to some vids this camera has 80x zoom!

all my videos froms now on ill be using my gopro at the target ...this camera also pics up bullet trace very well
and the second shot taken in the 1000yd video you can see the bullet fly all the way to the target

this setup to film cost 450$ camera 300$ gopro a few years back and a decent! 150$ tripod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff52AyGynRc&list=UUjCl847d_HwDubYvWw4Xdig -680yd with gopro target camerea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QStWs2PTa9Q&list=UUjCl847d_HwDubYvWw4Xdig -680yd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QqkJW_MsG0&list=UUjCl847d_HwDubYvWw4Xdig -1080yd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUBOzRxih4Q&list=UUjCl847d_HwDubYvWw4Xdig - 600yd

Last edited:
Cool vids!! So all said and done, a TargetCam seems a good deal! :)

i personally dont see the need for using one becuase i can see where ive hit through a spotting scope for me its just for making videos ...and if thats all your after i think gopro are onto a pretty good thing because the camera has multiple uses ..also im looking at buying a gopro hero 3 for recording 720p at 120fps witch im hoping will give some cool slow motion target came videos..

my brother does fpv rc quadcopter flying he could set up a gopro target cam for cheaper then those target camera kits and youll have a gopro in the end

another thought if your running a target camera for your videos... then maybe zoom for your firing camera isn't as necessary as having a higher fps for catching the bullet trace on film ...just another thing to think about

Last edited:
I use a Panasonic seems to work fairly well at 2-3000.

Latest efforts, a few more on my You tube channel :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghFJO3_bEsc

what model exactly ? mines the 80x zoom hc-520 but now they have out newer models with 90x zoom ...but i usually only use 70x anyway anything past 60x zoom is digital and starts to blur too much..

nice vid think i stumbled across it on tube a while ago haha

what model exactly ? mines the 80x zoom hc-520 but now they have out newer models with 90x zoom ...but i usually only use 70x anyway anything past 60x zoom is digital and starts to blur too much..

nice vid think i stumbled across it on tube a while ago haha

Thanks Scotty.

Not sure which model, I've had it for a year or two...

You probably haven't seen that vid before only made it last Sunday with my new CEB 450 grain .375 Lazers :)

just updating since i posted what camcorder i was using 50x optical zoom i have since sold it through ebay and have purchased another panasonic! gone from a 300$44 camcorder to a 900$ mirrorless digital camera not sure how it will turn out yet my new camera is only 16x zoom but its selling point was its 120fps and it records in ultra 4k resolution ...ive done a quick test if anyof you would like to check it out i myself am amazed at the sharpness this camera records compared to my old high zoom camcorder this cameras 1080p makes my old cam look like it was only ever recording 720p ...and as we all know optical clarity beats high magnification ;)

if you have quick enough internet be sure to watch in 4k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4NjBDYZL1A&feature=youtu.be

i personally dont see the need for using one becuase i can see where ive hit through a spotting scope for me its just for making videos ...and if thats all your after i think gopro are onto a pretty good thing because the camera has multiple uses ..also im looking at buying a gopro hero 3 for recording 720p at 120fps witch im hoping will give some cool slow motion target came videos..

my brother does fpv rc quadcopter flying he could set up a gopro target cam for cheaper then those target camera kits and youll have a gopro in the end

another thought if your running a target camera for your videos... then maybe zoom for your firing camera isn't as necessary as having a higher fps for catching the bullet trace on film ...just another thing to think about

+ 1 on the fpv quad copters. You can simply fly it out there with a laptop using a naza satellite system and program your gps coordinates and hover or land it there, then hit the return home feature and it will land exactly where you took off from. Ad a stabilized camera gimble and you can really have a sweet view.

Here's my setup:
- Panasonic SDR-S50 with 78x optical zoom but the resolution is kinda shitty past 400 yards (as you can see here)
- GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition (battery sucks so make sure you have a spare at all time ahah!)
- Contour 1080HD
- iPhone 6 & iPad Mini :)

I shot the video above with my buddy's camera (50x optical zoom)

My spotter and I like to use a 5" Meade refractor or an 8" Meade reflector telescope with a .5" CCD astronomical camera for ELR filming and photos. The resolution and magnification are extra awesome and the programmable motorized mounts make it easy to go from one target to the next. We also use a plain ol' iPhone 5 for the close-up filming.

Just started filming some of my shoots using my Canon 70d and a 55-250mm lens. The 70d offers 10x digital zoom which gives me an effective 50x at 1080p. I set up the 70d on the target and I can later crop in using Imovie on my iPad. I use my iPhone 5 to record the shooter.
Certainly not ELR but at 725 yards it works great and when positioned directly behind the shooter it picks up trace nicely.

725 yards 8" plate - YouTube

My spotter and I like to use a 5" Meade refractor or an 8" Meade reflector telescope with a .5" CCD astronomical camera for ELR filming and photos. The resolution and magnification are extra awesome and the programmable motorized mounts make it easy to go from one target to the next. We also use a plain ol' iPhone 5 for the close-up filming.

I'd like to see some footage from this setup. Sounds pretty awesome.

I'd like to see some footage from this setup. Sounds pretty awesome.

It's not really a bit good for the purpose if you're thinking about it from a watching the video for the picture quality point of view. The mirage gets pretty substantial especially with the big reflector through any air motion at all. We've been using them mostly because they magnify the snot out of the vapor trail (those are really fun to see) and the tall tripods put my spotter looking directly over the top of me and keeps him out of my muzzle blast area. We also tend to shoot in the desert where you can actually see the stars because we're amateur astronomers (I guess shooting long range isn't frighteningly expensive enough) so we have the big telescopes close to hand anyway. The optical quality on them is pretty darned good but if the wind is up you might as well be looking into a bucket of melted wax.

I tried filming with my Galaxy s4 and a mount through a scope and it didn't work out. I did ranges of 470-2615 and anything past the first 470, there was so much mirage that you couldn't actually even see the hot or even the small moving of the target when it does. Maybe I didn't set it up optimally, I'm not sure. But that's been my experience.

Something to keep in mind is that I am in 80+ weather...

Hello ELR fanatics. Funny you guys have been discussing filming ELR over here because we've been talking about some of this with our product lately. I'd like to talk to some of you guys about this. We're going to be doing some filming with Jake of JC Steel Targets and thought we could all compare notes etc of the best setup. We're also going to be filming a TV show and some commercials later this next week so I'd like to talk to you ASAP.

Please call me directly at (775)901-9999. That's my cell phone call anytime between 8AM and 11PM Pacific.

I've been needing to do some good quality filming for a long time so it's high on my priority list. Oh, that's some nice footage you made Belgian. I sent you a PM just now. I'm in Reno and our TV thing is going to be filmed here over the next few weeks so drop me a line.

We have experimented some with digitizer for our system and I'd like to figure out the best setup to offer our customers. I'd like to be able to offer a good affordable solution to everyone.

Last edited:
Hello ELR fanatics. Funny you guys have been discussing filming ELR over here because we've been talking about some of this with our product lately. I'd like to talk to some of you guys about this. We're going to be doing some filming with Jake of JC Steel Targets and thought we could all compare notes etc of the best setup. We're also going to be filming a TV show and some commercials later this next week so I'd like to talk to you ASAP.

Please call me directly at (775)901-9999. That's my cell phone call anytime between 8AM and 11PM Pacific.

I've been needing to do some good quality filming for a long time so it's high on my priority list. Oh, that's some nice footage you made Belgian. I sent you a PM just now. I'm in Reno and our TV thing is going to be filmed here over the next few weeks so drop me a line.

We have experimented some with digitizer for our system and I'd like to figure out the best setup to offer our customers. I'd like to be able to offer a good affordable solution to everyone.

Funny enough, I use the JC Steel Targets too!! Come on down and we'll shoot some ELR!!!

just filmed weekend gone ..old cheap gopro hero2 and my new high zoom panasonic bridge camera ..can film with gopro or up to 2hrs on one battery so just set it and forget it :) if you need more time just get a gopro battery bacpac ..and as i pointed out previously i believe this is the best way because at the end of the day you also have a gopro for action sports like i do riding motocross, affordable, multi purpose cameras used for mx filming and lr vids

this camera is only 16x zoom but can digi zoom to 32x extremely clearly as its a 4k ultra had camera ...i have more vids of zoom tests out to 1600m with this camera if youd like to check them out on my channel ...ive gone from a 50x optical zoom camera to this 16x zoom and im getting better results with only 16x optical

watch in 4k if possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeQMjM-T4zY

Last edited:
we're doing some filming this weekend with a quad copter with a GoPro mounted onto it. This is being filmed for a new TV show that is being filmed out here. The quad copter footage is being used to show an aerial view of the perspective of the long range shots - give the viewer an idea of the distance. Putting this footage together with the filming of the shooter and then the shots on target through our TargetCam system will make some good TV footage. After the show airs I'll post it on our website and will link to it so you can see it. The quad copter is pretty cool piece of equipment. The producer of the show has 2 of them and I've had a chance to fly them some....thinking of getting one myself.

Last edited:
Any idea when it will air or be posted? I'm thinking seriously about buying a drone myself.

we're doing some filming this weekend with a quad copter with a GoPro mounted onto it. This is being filmed for a new TV show that is being filmed out here. The quad copter footage is being used to show an aerial view of the perspective of the long range shots - give the viewer an idea of the distance. Putting this footage together with the filming of the shooter and then the shots on target through our TargetCam system will make some good TV footage. After the show airs I'll post it on our website and will link to it so you can see it. The quad copter is pretty cool piece of equipment. The producer of the show has 2 of them and I've had a chance to fly them some....thinking of getting one myself.
haha awesome believe it or not but my brother and i where talking of doing the exact same thing very soon! he's building a octocopter that can carry my panasonic camera his starting to make youtube videos of his rc flights so we were going to incorporate it into shooting vids also ..heres his chanel and some of his rc vids https://www.youtube.com/user/sgBT182/videos

Any idea when it will air or be posted? I'm thinking seriously about buying a drone myself.

The TV show that we're sponsoring should air in a month is what I'm being told. This TV show is starting out as a local N. Nevada thing to test the market. If it does well here it could get picked up for syndication across the country. Either way, I'm going to get some good footage of our TargetCam system being used with some pretty high end equipment. I'll post it on our website as soon as I'm able.

The quadcopters....from the limited time I've spent researching them....these are the two purpose built for hauling a Gopro in the $375-$500 range:

Blade 350 QX - http://www.amazon.com/350-RTF-Firmw...8&qid=1412808049&sr=8-1&keywords=blade+350+qx

DJI Phantom or the Phantom II: http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-Aerial-Drone-Quadcopter/dp/B00AGOSQI8

they have GPS tracking, powerful enough to lift Gopro, different functions like hover, return to home...etc. They are very easy and stable to fly since they self stabilize and use the GPS to do some of the navigational stuff for you.

quadcopters are sort of a geek toy so I'm trying to justify getting one by telling myself I could use it for business.

Last edited:
i was into flying 3D rc nitro helicopters a few years ago so i know a fair bit about RC stuff but my brothers right into the whole quad copter and rc filming side of things his got all the gear and can set up a LR target cam with a gopro for 300$ or less but if you wanna know the best way to go with getting a quad copter for FPV flight and recording shoot me a msg of what your needs are and my bro will tell you the best way to go
The TV show that we're sponsoring should air in a month is what I'm being told. This TV show is starting out as a local N. Nevada thing to test the market. If it does well here it could get picked up for syndication across the country. Either way, I'm going to get some good footage of our TargetCam system being used with some pretty high end equipment. I'll post it on our website as soon as I'm able.

The quadcopters....from the limited time I've spent researching them....these are the two purpose built for hauling a Gopro in the $375-$500 range:

Blade 350 QX - Amazon.com: 350 QX RTF Firmware 2.0 with SAFE: Toys & Games

DJI Phantom or the Phantom II: http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-Aerial-Drone-Quadcopter/dp/B00AGOSQI8

they have GPS tracking, powerful enough to lift Gopro, different functions like hover, return to home...etc. They are very easy and stable to fly since they self stabilize and use the GPS to do some of the navigational stuff for you.

quadcopters are sort of a geek toy so I'm trying to justify getting one by telling myself I could use it for business.