• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ELR in Canada?

Taylorbok

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2017
Sask, Canada
Hey I'm wondering if there is any ELR matches up here in Canada? (other than Ko2M)
I've heard there may be one in Valcartier QC but can't seem to find any info on it.

Hey I'm wondering if there is any ELR matches up here in Canada? (other than Ko2M)
I've heard there may be one in Valcartier QC but can't seem to find any info on it.
I know a couple guys that are getting one squared away in south central Ontario but I haven't heard from them in a few months. I'll reach out and see where they stand.

The big problem around the world is that it is hard to find elr match directors. I'm pretty much always looking for people that are willing to take it on cause it is the only real way to grow the sport. Next year I think I will be running about half of the venues nation wide and my dance card is full so that is it for me. Growth means more matches by the few match directors or more match directors.

If you want more matches, the best advice I can give you is to find some poor soul willing to put up with running a match and send them my way.

-Alex

• Haha
Reactions: Taylorbok
sleeping on straw if you can find it , the joy of waking up to -100 degree temps in winter yea what's not to love about the joys of living on an ice sheet .

Reactions: Taylorbok
Says someone from the 224th lowest population density country ;)

-Alex
The mountains would be a great spot but I don’t live out there. It’s all farmland here if you do find a spot that’s flat enough to shoot or elevated enough to see that distance you usually end up having to talk to 4 farmers and even if you get them on board you can only do it after harvest

Reactions: CDNWYO
If you're not a Canadian citizen can you use a 416 Barrett in Canada for a ELR match. Or does the new rules apply to everyone

If you're not a Canadian citizen can you use a 416 Barrett in Canada for a ELR match. Or does the new rules apply to everyone
Technically 416 Barrett would be illegal since it makes over 10k joules muzzle energy. To my knowledge the only cartridge that is banned by name is the Cheytac. its a stupid ass law. I don't know if you'd even be able to get it into the country.

Reactions: badassgunworks
Technically 416 Barrett would be illegal since it makes over 10k joules muzzle energy. To my knowledge the only cartridge that is banned by name is the Cheytac. its a stupid ass law. I don't know if you'd even be able to get it into the country.
I understand that a 416 Barrett would be illegal to own by a Canadian citizen. But my question was can a US citizen bring a 416 Barrett to Canada for a ELR match. Or is it a restriction from the country all together. It's such a crazy law I could understand if they restrict certain calibers but just about any ELR cartridge that produces over 10,000 joules can be downloaded with lighter bullets to produce less than 10,000 jewels

I understand that a 416 Barrett would be illegal to own by a Canadian citizen. But my question was can a US citizen bring a 416 Barrett to Canada for a ELR match. Or is it a restriction from the country all together. It's such a crazy law I could understand if they restrict certain calibers but just about any ELR cartridge that produces over 10,000 joules can be downloaded with lighter bullets to produce less than 10,000 jewels
By the way that it is written since it is capable of doing so it would be a prohibited firearm which you would not be able to bring into Canada.

Reactions: badassgunworks
By the way that it is written since it is capable of doing so it would be a prohibited firearm which you would not be able to bring into Canada.
So how do they regulate non sammi based cartridges do they shoot it to confirm velocity and then run it through a calculator or do they ask you what velocity and grain weight bullet you're using

So how do they regulate non sammi based cartridges do they shoot it to confirm velocity and then run it through a calculator or do they ask you what velocity and grain weight bullet you're using
I really don't know what they would do. The other thing was say you wanted to bring up a wildcat of some form, what ever you get in but RFMA at Ko2M said that if they suspected someone of being over the limit they would Chrono you and run through calculator and not allowed to compete.

Is there a limit other than the 10,000 jewels for ko2m in Canada. do they have a caliber restriction or is it just the 10,000 jewels

Is there a limit other than the 10,000 jewels for ko2m in Canada. do they have a caliber restriction or is it just the 10,000 jewels
You may want to call them on that. The Website used to say nothing larger than 375 EnABELR but that is so vague. IMO there is no reason to enforce anything other than the 10k joule limit but my opinion really doesn't matter

@badassgunworks why would you want to waste your time with ELR in Canada? In terms of guns and elr shooting... canada is a dead country!
It may sound harsh, but it's true. Just look at the restrictions that have been put in place over the last 5+/- years. Do you think it's getting better? No, it's only getting worse in Canada. Wait another 5 years and you will see these politicians ass clowns put the limit down to 8000 joule. Any Canadian who says no...wait and see, in 5 years you will remember my words. Trudeau and Biden are both just clowns in 2 different countries.

Badassgunworks you live in the best country in the world, USA. Don't waste your time with countries where gun restrictions only get worse, worse and worse.

@badassgunworks why would you want to waste your time with ELR in Canada? In terms of guns and elr shooting... canada is a dead country!
It may sound harsh, but it's true. Just look at the restrictions that have been put in place over the last 5+/- years. Do you think it's getting better? No, it's only getting worse in Canada. Wait another 5 years and you will see these politicians ass clowns put the limit down to 8000 joule. Any Canadian who says no...wait and see, in 5 years you will remember my words. Trudeau and Biden are both just clowns in 2 different countries.

Badassgunworks you live in the best country in the world, USA. Don't waste your time with countries where gun restrictions only get worse, worse and worse.
Its closer to me would not mind going there to compete. Plus i have the 400 warrior cartridge 450 grain bullet with a .537 g7 bc could down load to 2800 fps to produce 9995 jewles and smoke every thing on the market. In canada .

Reactions: LastShot300
Yes you could, but lowering the load to meet the 10000 joule limit sounds so wrong. All your work is based on pushing things forward, better cartridges, better case alloys, higher pressure and smarter design.

There's no need to downsize anything.
The only need I see. Politicians clowns should finally stop passing useless, pointless gun restrictions.

However, to all the Canadians, don't get me wrong. I have nothing against you and your country but your gun restrictions are much worse than the restrictions of Switzerland, Germany and Austria. Trust me I live here and i am very familiar with all 3 countries mentioned. We also have many rules, restrictions etc. here. But handgun ban and 408 cheytac ban does not exist here. With paperwork and requesting a permit etc. you can get it.

Reactions: RRW and Taylorbok
Our laws are aweful, and yes Trudeau is a total ass clown.
@badassgunworks I've got a reamer for a 375 that is a Rum with the shoulder moved forward and taken to 40* I am hoping to push bullets with a G7 in the .5-.530 range to about 2900 maybe a bit less but I should be able to hang, just need to practice more.

Last edited:
If you ever want to try a cheytac here in the USA just come on down to a Kansas match and I will be glad to let you use my guns , all you need to bring is your trigger finger .

timintx
We'll see where this adventure takes me, maybe make it down there some day. There is match in Ideal SD I am gonna try and make it to this year.

Reactions: timintx
Not to ruin a party.....
but the way canada is going, you won't be allowed to own or shoot anything.

Canada: Liberal PM’s Amendment Would Add Hunting Rifles to Proposed Handgun Ban​

Not to ruin a party.....
but the way canada is going, you won't be allowed to own or shoot anything.

Canada: Liberal PM’s Amendment Would Add Hunting Rifles to Proposed Handgun Ban​

I don't need that negativity. :cry: lol
Not sure what is going to come of it, there is lots of lobbying going on to fight it. I hope something get's done but I feel our best hope is the conservatives regain power and overturn it in the near future.

I don't need that negativity. :cry: lol
Not sure what is going to come of it, there is lots of lobbying going on to fight it. I hope something get's done but I feel our best hope is the conservatives regain power and overturn it in the near future.
Problem is is that the liberal maggots cheat just like they have in the United States I guarantee you that's happening in Canada as well

Last edited:
Reactions: RRW and Taylorbok
A little late to the party, but having been there in 2022, I can assist. Here's the group:

The ELR match is at Canadian Forces Base Valcartier, and it's fantastic. The range is really picturesque, the shooters are a great bunch, and the pace is relaxed. It's a single day affair on a Sunday, usually with a PRS match on the range opposite on Saturday, which I highly recommend shooting. On the ELR range, targets were roughly 800, 1200, 1400, 1600, 1800, 2050. Winds were 0-40KPH, swirling or nothing, and totally variable. Targets at 2000 were 36", so you can bracket your hold sufficiently in winds.

I ran a 300 PRC, most ran 338, 300 Norma and similar, with the winner running a stock Sako TRG in 338lm, getting 4/5 shots at 2000+. Bipods, Phoenix F-class bipods etc & rear bags were the usual setup, nothing fancy at all.

Logistics are easy. Drive or fly to Quebec city, and grab a hotel room by the range, there's plenty just outside the gate. The crew does dinner after the match, and it's a good laugh. I believe they will hold 2-3 matches in 2023, and it's totally worth it.

What I learned:
1. Prep well before, change nothing the day before.
2. Anything 338/300 that can send a 230+ grain to 500m within 1/2 mil will be totally competitive, the rest is up to you.
3. There were several failures. A case separation from hot loads took out two guys on a shared rifle. 230 A-tips from a structured barrel at 3200fps were poofing like shotgun clays for one shooter. 12/20 shots I believe.
4. If you're driving, come a fay early to rest your eyes. I drove 9 hours straight, and had huge eye fatigue issues.
5. Bring a spotter that you can shoot with. I used a local guy from the match, who was awesome, but our language barriers and shooter/spotter dialogue just wasn't working when it needed to be.
6. Don't F*** with your dope. If you're getting .25 groups at 100, and can true your rifle to 600, and can hold cant well, you'll do great.

What I'm doing next year:
-I'll be bringing a few buddies, so we can share dope and gear; Spotting scope, Tent, table, cooler.
-I'll be shooting a 338 LM, or a 300 Norma.
-I'm driving up a week early, going to visit a few fellas I met at the match last year, and will shoot as a guest at their ranges to true my loads out to 800M.

On this weekend, I literally had the worst days of shooting at both the PRS and ELR matches, like dead last place. But it was one of the best shooting experiences I'd had, and met some of the best guys and girls in the sport.

Attachments

• Valcartier.jpeg
    Valcartier.jpeg
    624.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3629.jpg
    IMG_3629.jpg
    710 KB · Views: 56
  • Kestrel DOPE.jpeg
    Kestrel DOPE.jpeg
    310.1 KB · Views: 45
  • PT Shooting.jpeg
    PT Shooting.jpeg