• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ELR Meetings at SHOT Show

THEIS

Hi, Sincerely
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Hi,

Can anyone lay out the discussions that were thrown around during the ELR Meetings at SHOT Show for those that were not in attendance?

JeffVN asked in another ongoing thread but maybe it was overlooked because it was deep into an already existing threat.

Sincerely,
    THEIS

Last edited:
    I think they talked about advancing the state of the art in extreme long range rifle shooting by sharing knowledge,promoting awareness and encouraging best practices within the ELR community.
    And selling more stuff!

We set up an Interim board, to start an organization, there is a page on FB with everyone in place. Most are using the FB pages to discuss this stuff, Jeff is a member and has seen everything

We talked about events out there, who is hosting what for 2018.

We talked about the event at Front Sight and the results, how to promote the need to stick to the format

Not sure what else you want

Hi,

Thanks for the update LL.

What FB pages? There is nothing in regards to it on the ELR Central FB page. There is nothing in regards to it on the AB FB page. I cannot see ELRHQ FB page since I do not have a FB account.

Does the "organization" have a FB page or the interim board have a FB page?

Sincerely,
    Theis

ELRHQ has nothing to do with this, and ELR Central is just an information portal

There is an ELR group and ELR Interim Board Group, completely separate things, just similar people talking. There are 11 people submitted as potential board members. But it's still early.

The Organization does not exist yet, it's being discussed.

Reactions: THEIS
    ELR group and ELR Interim Board Group

Private groups yield no information and we might as well not even know about them

Frank
    We set up an Interim board, to start an organization, there is a page on FB with everyone in place. Most are using the FB pages to discuss this stuff, Jeff is a member and has seen everything

JeffVN quote from Long range hunting posted yesterday
    I didn't stay for the banquet, and had to work during the daytime meeting, so I have no information. But yes, its been nothing but crickets chirping since the event....

The 11 people were selected as the interm board. From what I understood they are going to be starting the organization from the ground up, maybe utilizing best practices from other similar shooting groups that were started from scratch.

I think they will be responsible for getting the basic charter of the organization in place, develop guidelines for membership and start accepting applications for membership. Once the membership is in place, nominations for Board Members will be accepted and the membership will vote.

The 11 were selected by the people in attendance at the meeting. They were chosen due to their involvement in the sport already or specific skills they could bring to setting up the new organization.

Everyone realized this will be a semi long and involved process to start up and a temporary board needed to be in pace to get the ball rolling. After that, just as with all organizations with membership, the members need to nominate and vote for the actual board members.

It is important to distinguish between terms here. A board member is/will be one elected by membership for the purposes of representation in the process of conducting business within an established organization. Committee members in this case are subsequently tasked with populous representation, but the primary goals of the committee are to establish the organization itself. This includes necessary business structure, membership roles and requirements and preliminary rules for qualifying shooting events. Once said organization is established and membership can elect representation, then it will be up to those board members to assume the responsibilities of the temporary committee members. While there is nothing to say that a committee member cannot be elected to the established board at the appropriate time, acting as a committee member does not mean they are automatically appointed as a board member when said board is established.

Yes, the FB pages are private. But you can be assured that all members are focusing on conversations just like these in order to garner the opinions of everyone participating in them. The goal of the privacy is to keep the noise to a minimum so that the focus can be solely on its intended purpose. I can hear it already that someone will say that it is exclusionary, but it is not. All opinions are welcome and should be heard and I'm sure that there will be input that will be solicited directly on forums such as this one.

My chirping crickets comment had to do mostly with public statements and discussion from the group - specifically regarding some of the observations and potential process changes that will be made going forward in future events and matches. If any of those were made I missed them (other than recognition that there needs to be a gap - I would personally like to see 10-15 yards - between the back of the firing line and the forest of people who are watching or shooting video, but not competing, for the next relay to stand and stage their gear so that they aren't required to fight its way through maze of tripods and video cameras to get to the line ).

The interim board/committee members have their own private F.B. page (as they should so they can talk openly on topics without folks jumping into Board business with non-board-related issues).

Jeffvn

The 11 people were selected as the interm board. From what I understood they are going to be starting the organization from the ground up, maybe utilizing best practices from other similar shooting groups that were started from scratch.

I think they will be responsible for getting the basic charter of the organization in place, develop guidelines for membership and start accepting applications for membership. Once the membership is in place, nominations for Board Members will be accepted and the membership will vote.

The 11 were selected by the people in attendance at the meeting. They were chosen due to their involvement in the sport already or specific skills they could bring to setting up the new organization.

Everyone realized this will be a semi long and involved process to start up and a temporary board needed to be in pace to get the ball rolling. After that, just as with all organizations with membership, the members need to nominate and vote for the actual board members.

Good to know. Thanks

It's a shame that we have to continually ask for information when something like this should have been put forward from the get-go.

An awful lot of complaining from people doing very little if anything on there own.

Everyone involved has their own life, we are not out there talking every day behind people's back trying to be tricky. Guys are working, doing their own thing, etc. The Meetings at SHOT were announced with plenty of advanced notice. They are using SHOT because a "majority" of the people involved in this sport are there. We do the same thing with the USMC Scout Sniper Association. Our yearly meetings are at SHOT due to the convenience of the event.

No word has come forward because nothing changed, nothing has been said since SHOT. Dustin took it upon himself to start a private board group, the ELR Group, I believe you can get access too by contacting Paul Philips.

I have 100 other things to do beyond worrying about Jeff's schedule at SHOT. I saw him at the event, I only saw people at my table at the end, the room wrapped around, who was there, and who was not, went in one eyeball and out the other. Personally I don't care, I changed my schedule to attend and frankly, it put me well behind in my SH Business at SHOT. I made my sacrifice in order to be in the mix, whether you care to or not, is on you and not everyone else.

Nobody is doing anything "Behind" people's back. When there is news, we discuss, when there is not because people are continuing with their own life, there is nothing to report. We all agree it's better to do it right than do it fast. We have plenty of time to establish the organization. No one group as has a monopoly on the board. We have plenty of checks and balances in place so fear not.

As things move forward, and once a group is actually set up, if you wish to participate on a higher level all you need to do is show up and step up. The fact they don't want to hand things to people who are not present makes sense to me as it shows a level of commitment to the cause. If they didn't do that you have to wonder.

Appreciate you and all working on this Frank, but 1 month after shot show and no one bothered to update us on the formation of the committee.
    There are at least 11 people in the know and it was birds chirping for us peons

Frank's response couldn't have been more concise and to the point. I said it in a previous post that the private group is not intended to exclude anyone's opinion, as all members of that inter rum committee are watching these forums and as many other sources for the feelings of the ELR community. If nothing is being reported back to the community, then there is nothing to report. This forum I'm sure will be one of the first places you will see updates.

We hide it from you because nobody wants you in the know ...

In the WR Event thread there was After Action Reports, how did you know there was an Intermin Board if we were not talking about it,

Several People from Dan, to Jeff, to Oscar have made comments here and there, the threads are scattered and dropped off the first page, but we have been talking about it.

I will Update Everyone !

Other than making a Private Intermin Board Facebook Page, and sharing some videos from the Event, nothing has been discussed or changed. There have been no additional meetings, no email chains, in short, I have nothing to report as of February 21st 2018