• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ELR shooting in Colorado

mmcmah

Minuteman
Sep 23, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Hi guys,

I've been trying to find a long range range for a while in Colorado. I live in the metro Denver area and so would prefer something closer to there. However, I haven't found too many ranges even going up to 1,000. The Colorado Rifle Club in Byers seems the best suited to my needs.

However, I can't find an ELR range (>1,000 yards). Am I missing something? Are we relegated to using BLM land? If so, any suggestions?

Many thanks,
Michael

Trigger Time has a place but it is not open to the public.

They can actually shoot to 3000 yards there, it is 1 hour from Downtown Denver.

To gain any type of access to you have to take the Precision Rifle Basics Class (Held Monthly) then they have weekend open shoots. During this there are targets out to 1200 yards at least. There are plans for ELR Classes, however I don't have dates for that.

Byers is good, but better during the week. It's a 1000 yard High Power Range so you can shoot paper. It's cheap and easy to join.

Otherwise BLM Land...

Thanks Lowlight! I look forward to checknig them out. Byers might be tough if it's best during the week. Still, as you said it's cheap to join.

Hi Lowlight,

I see that Trigger Time's facility is just north of Mile High. That's very convenient, but that seems to be their indoor range facility. I shoot at Blucore, so I already have a100-yard indoor range close by.

Where is TTGC's long range facility? Once you take the Precision Rifle class, do you have to join the Club and then only use the long range facility on the weekends or when they have an event/class there?

Sorry for all of the questions.

Thanks for your help.

BLM shooting is really a treasure - most of the eastern half of the country doesn't have access to it on the scale (and distances) you find out west. Ranges are one thing and they definitely have a place, but if you're proficient at long range and want to stretch your rifles out as far as you can go then it's hard to beat BLM shooting. Finding good spots can be a bit tricky as most folks who've found them tend to keep them close hold, especially if you're within a couple hours of a major metropolitan area. Ask around but also check in with your local BLM office as they can give you guidance about what areas are restricted and unrestricted. The latter is what you're after and they tend to be the more remote areas. For me personally it took a bit of research, investing in a 4x4 and some quality steel targets, then going out with a buddy and a GPS to look for an ideal location. The obvious spots are going to be frequented by other shooters, which isn't always a problem, but that means they may also be frequented by dirt bikers and four wheelers as well, so you want to get away from as many potential bystanders as possible. Then when you do find a good place, just be smart about planning your shooting sessions. Go with someone or a group, agree on a plan in case someone gets bitten by a snake or accidentally shot, bring plenty of food and water and make sure you always have a spare tire with you. Simple rules to follow, but they will help make your days of shooting as far as you want, however you want, a whole lot of fun!

Thanks, Dogtown. Great advice. As you said, ranges have their place. As I meet more like-minded people here, I'm sure BLM will become more doable.

Got it, I think. Take a class, become an alumnus and then get invited to alumni events and open shoot use from time to time?

No need to join the actual Gun Club?

So we are enjoying CRC and the 1000 yard range but would like to start stretching out the .338's past 1000. Besides Trigger Time does anyone have any cool/good spots for past 1000? I'm fairly new to CO and would appreciate fairly specific directions if someone would care to share. Seems like I remember some really cool pics about a year ago or less of some dude's on here shooting off a mesa or mountain down into a valley? I know that's vague but I'm sure someone will know what I'm talking about. If you want some shooting buddies and have a spot, let us know, me and my buddies have fun toys and don't mind sharing! Thanks.

So we are enjoying CRC and the 1000 yard range but would like to start stretching out the .338's past 1000. Besides Trigger Time does anyone have any cool/good spots for past 1000? I'm fairly new to CO and would appreciate fairly specific directions if someone would care to share. Seems like I remember some really cool pics about a year ago or less of some dude's on here shooting off a mesa or mountain down into a valley? I know that's vague but I'm sure someone will know what I'm talking about. If you want some shooting buddies and have a spot, let us know, me and my buddies have fun toys and don't mind sharing! Thanks.

I'd like to echo verdugo60's sentiments on trying to find some longer shooting. I'll take the Trigger Time course too, but I cant make the next one.

I need to link up with you guys some time. I have a new 338LM and I'm looking to get into ELR. Farthest I've shot thus far is about 1250 and it wasn't with the 338. Going to start load development soon and then I'll be ready. Have a chrono if people need access to one. Also a CRC member.

BLM shooting is really a treasure - most of the eastern half of the country doesn't have access to it on the scale (and distances) you find out west. Ranges are one thing and they definitely have a place, but if you're proficient at long range and want to stretch your rifles out as far as you can go then it's hard to beat BLM shooting. Finding good spots can be a bit tricky as most folks who've found them tend to keep them close hold, especially if you're within a couple hours of a major metropolitan area. Ask around but also check in with your local BLM office as they can give you guidance about what areas are restricted and unrestricted. The latter is what you're after and they tend to be the more remote areas. For me personally it took a bit of research, investing in a 4x4 and some quality steel targets, then going out with a buddy and a GPS to look for an ideal location. The obvious spots are going to be frequented by other shooters, which isn't always a problem, but that means they may also be frequented by dirt bikers and four wheelers as well, so you want to get away from as many potential bystanders as possible. Then when you do find a good place, just be smart about planning your shooting sessions. Go with someone or a group, agree on a plan in case someone gets bitten by a snake or accidentally shot, bring plenty of food and water and make sure you always have a spare tire with you. Simple rules to follow, but they will help make your days of shooting as far as you want, however you want, a whole lot of fun!

I love .gov land! It's one of the few good things about them lol. Here in ND, I can be in the badlands and shoot at rocky/sandy backstops for miles in any direction. Just pick a bluff for a 360° range. ' Tis good fun. You can also set up a coyote call before you start if you walk in quietly enough.

There is a ton that goes into hit probability at extended distances, anything beyond 1000 yards. Having shot a better than fair amount at distance, on actual targets and not rocks and things on the side of a hill. I can tell you there is a lot of variables to consider.

The bullet choice, and muzzle velocity are just one part. (what most books talk about) Anything below 1300fps things go down hill rapidly. Predictability becomes questionable at best. You can model it, and say bullet X is better than bullet Y, but that doesn't tell the whole story. What is written in specs and on paper doesn't always translate to success in the real world. I have read one too many "advertisements" of great BCs then when we put the bullet to paper like we did at Gunsite recently, we see some never make it, others hit sideways. Yes we shot on paper at 1500m and the results hardly matched the hype in a lot of cases. People read, Bullet X is the best choice and then Bullet X lands sideways when we actually tried it.

The field conditions, terrain, wind, all play a major part of it. You cannot gauge the wind to within the necessary 1 MPH. Without that, your round isn't hitting, you can recite Spindrift numbers, CE factors, and it's all meaningless if you can't properly dope the wind. Beyond 1500m I use 1/2 of what the computers say, and inside 1500 don' t use any of the factors. In fact I keep that crap turned off and hit better than most. go figure.

The shooter, huge factor, consistency from shot to shot is crucial, any errors are magnified and not just by 1 MOA per 100... it multiplies by factors greater than 1. Closer to 2x per 100 after 1000. Sure a broken clock gets it right twice a day, but that is not what we are talking about.

If you cannot hit the target, personally, within 3 shots under any condition, your hit probability is 0 in my book. If it takes more than 3, you need to re-evaluate your training and work up. If you fired 20 shots at a target and only impacted 5 times, you failed. Pick a new bullet, new caliber, increase your muzzle velocity or take a class on the fundamentals of marksmanship. It's that simple.

To shoot the XLR Class at Gunsite, (a great example, and great training opportunity) you spend at least 3 days, truing your software, working up to distance and managing your shots so you can hit targets beyond 1500m. You start at 300m then go to 600, 800, 1200, and beyond. All with targets designed to help you manage the shots. Targets with watermarks so you can see if you are hitting high or low your intended point of impact. Muzzle velocity variations at distance can mean a miss from shot to shot so you need single digit SDs, your load now matters.

When people talk hit probability it usually means, 1st round hits... well here is the real world.

308 is an 800m cartridge under the best conditions. Sure you can use a 30"+ barrel, push a 155gr bullet to 3150 and it will work well to 1000 yards, but that is not field practical.

A 300WM is a 1250m cartridge, yes we have new bullets, and better powders, so you can see greater success, but practically speaking that is the rule of the thumb.

338LM is a 1500m cartridge, yes we can do very well with it beyond, but after 1500m even under great conditions, 2 to 3 rounds is minimum for any kind of measurable success.

That is on man sized targets. if you want to put a 6ft x 6ft target out there, then your hit probability will go up, but if you are talking in the field, Man sized at the most, the above is practical. Don't believe me, go out and shoot it for real, on targets and record every single round. The results may surprise you.

There is plenty of BLM land to explore, which I intend to do more of but there is one spot that seems to work well for ELR. Its south of denver, PM me if interested in headed out there.

No, you can do that without being a Trigger Time Member... just need to be a class alumni for the invites to the shoots.

Are you going to be offering an "Advanced" or "Level II" Precision Rifle class at Trigger Time? I'd be down for that....... Currently it looks like ur just offering an "intro" class, which I'm sure is terriffic. Just sayin'....

Are you going to be offering an "Advanced" or "Level II" Precision Rifle class at Trigger Time? I'd be down for that....... Currently it looks like ur just offering an "intro" class, which I'm sure is terriffic. Just sayin'....

yes, I have put in with them outlines for longer classes, it is up to them to schedule them.

yes, I have put in with them outlines for longer classes, it is up to them to schedule them.

Seems like you and Paul would have a built-in market for higher-level training with CO shooters, especially if class alumni would get invitations to shoots at Paul's secret 2000m range (!).

Pretty stoked about my shooting session yesterday, set a new personal record, 2054 yards! Hit that with both the 338 and the 50bmg. They weren't cold bore shots, I did walk it out but that was due to the fact I was using my AB equipped Kestrel for the first time. So there is room to make these shots on BLM land.

Seems like you and Paul would have a built-in market for higher-level training with CO shooters, especially if class alumni would get invitations to shoots at Paul's secret 2000m range (!).

Oh trust me it's worth it for sure, at last months alumni shoot I tested my 7WSM out to 1876 and hit 2 out of 5 times with Zach's help spotting for me and making good calls. It was a BLAST!

Frank,
I'm going to have to question Paul and Zach about the ELR courses!
Sully

Last edited:
Tag. Glad I found this post, as I'm in the same boat. I've been scouring Google Earth a lot recently trying to find a place closer to Denver. I like the range in BV, but it's 140 miles one way. With all the NF land and mountains around here, I thought there had to be a place closer. I've narrowed my search down to two spots, one is within 30 miles of Lakewood. I was going to go check it out in person, then the rains came and now I just haven't been able to get up there. There's another place of interest to me, down near Cheesman Reservoir. Looks like an old burn area on GE, but I've not seen it in person.

The first place I mentioned above has what looks like good spots for high-angle shooting too. I need to get down there soon, before the snow flies and look at it. While I'm not needing extended range myself, I am interested in any long range areas nearby, and would like to see how my rig performs out farther than 1,100m. Seems there are a handful of us on here in the area that are looking. We should pool our resources and get it done. I've even shot with some of you. LawnMM, would love to check out your .338 some time! We need to get out shooting again. I do have some steel I can set up.

Sounds good EMSP and COfox, I would love to meet up at a fairly close place for some ELR. Might do one of the courses eventually, but I grew up in Idaho with plenty of BLM land to shoot and would rather spend the money on components and glass and shoot on my own time. Have a buddy that is building a 338 and I already have one that hasn't been stretched out for a while.

Just need to pick a time and go looking! I was forced to do some load development for my trusty 308 because Hornady halted my go to bullet. I'm about done though and plan to get the 338LM load development done next so it should be up and running soon. COfox has shot some of my steel good for 1k and under. I've got a full size ipsc we can shoot at even farther out

PM'd you guys interested in getting together for this. Might have to put together a Spring shoot if we can't make it happen before snow gets bad. Sounds like EMSP might have found a decent spot already, as well as COFox with his Lakewood spot.

I live in oregon, we have tons of blm land but the bad thing is tons of trees and if its a flat area the logging company owns it :(. Also I could shoot 1k plus but I don't think it'd be legal since I'd have to shoot over a valley and theres a road. theres tons of logging roads. I mean tons! I've literally never seen the end of one. I still haven't found a range to shoot 600-1k ( I know douglas ridge and tri county) I just haven't found any 600-1k in blm land. One last thing is I saw you at the Oregon sniper challenge, nice ax rifle, wish I could own one they sure are pieces of art. (shoot like one too)

Last edited:
I am looking for place to stretch it out as well. I am A CRC member but need a place to take the .338LM out a bit further.
Let us know if you guys find anything.

Thanks!

Planning on going out Saturday October 26th in the morning. Already have a few members going, PM me if interested.

Did not end up going out. Trying to get a date that we can get a bunch of SH members to go. I can do most saturday's. Anybody interested in going 9 Nov 13?

Nice thread! Like all of you I have been looking for a LR location that doesn't require membership. If you find a place IVO Denver I'm in.

I have already made plans for tomorrow. I am heading to Dillon to shoot on sunday. There is a "Gunnit" meet up.

I went to look at that place I found on GM yesterday....the one at the end of Upper Bear Creek road out of Evergreen. Got thwarted by private property. Couldn't get into the last 4 miles. Shit. How can they block NF access on the east side? Oh well.

It's a bit further from Denver but there are plenty of places to stretch your legs out at the pawnee grasslands.

Headed this Saturday to Buena Vista from Denver to work on some load data for my Lapua if the roads are good, the forecast is stating it will be 50F.

Moving from New Mexico to Colorado is the biggest mistake I have ever made as a ELR shooter.

I've lived here over a year and the only time I get to shoot 1000+ is when I drive back to NM to visit my mom.