• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ELR Target Camera 2 Camera system with integrated DVR

Diver160651

Who cares
Minuteman
  • Feb 7, 2013
    La Honda
    Copy of my 2012 ELR build - rebuilt the best I could for the hide/Scout and nowhere again. Some of the images can't display due to the limitations on media -

Build list at the bottom: (if you shop around, you'll find better deals than the example links in the build list)

I've been asked a bunch about using an iPad as a receiving unit. Most ELR shooting does not involve a bench or shaded shooting positions and uses larger calibers often with a brake. Dirt from the muzzle blast is a real issue for electronics. iPads are also very prone to overheating and shutting off; they are expensive and fragile. IMHO, the idea of an iPad receiving unit might be fine for bench shooters but has no place in the dusty desert. Commercial units do not offer the things I wanted from this build. I hope you find the information helpful.
    Features not included in commercial units:
    • Everything including tripods must fit inside one small case
    • FPV and DVR functions to review misses when self-spotting
    • Control record function remotely
    • Clear image to 3,000+yards
    • Works in the wind without having to stake down tripods (low and small antennas-no large tripods and guide wires to hold the thing down)
    • Strong enough signal to overcome multipath interference caused by ground effects due to low tripods rocks etc
    • Long 8+hr Battery life (some places I set up can take me an hour to get back to the shooting area)
    • Easy, fast setup
    • Work prone or in a variety of situations and still does not take up to much room if used on a bench
    • Does not overheat and shut off in the desert sun
    • Each component cheaply and easily replaced if hit or otherwise damaged
    Anyway, here is a clip that shows why I choose the setup I did. High winds could topple camera tripods, and they are impossible to protect.
    D head unit of the BT19
    - While I did cut a few minutes from just before the shot to keep the video length down, it shows why ELR can be tough. We were only set up about a mile because the wind wasn't perfect.

From the camera feed with the cheaper antenna
    2,400 Yards 2.2 Kilometers (antenna in the wrong orientation - video quality suffers):

2200Yards MTAC ColdBore

2 cameras switching: 20 rounds, 10 rounds at each distance with 3 on paper. The shooting is a bit over 90 seconds, but hopefully, not too long to view.. 900-yard target wind was up to 30 at times. As you can see in the video below, the light was not working :(all the time because the cycle rate was a hair fast. The 400-yard target is a reduced 66% IPSC with 6" red center popper.

Test captures from this week with a 25mm Marshall lens about 50y from 1300y Targets and a 50mm Marshall lens from 100m from the 2095y target. I think the 25mm gets the camera far enough away, is easier to focus and my choice.
    50mm Marshall Lens test - Camera 100y away from 2095y target -- Wind 15-40mph

To switch between distances or record, you tap on one of the silver buttons on the monitor. I had the camera a bit too far back as I was trying to get both the popper and paper targets in the frame to see the bullet holes. It works well when moved closer to see the holes on paper.

Using only the multi-channel monitor, small receiving antenna, and onboard DVR and Lio-battery. I have packed the receiving unit (inside an Icon Pro 3200) this along with my shooting supplies out to high angle spots. It is minimal and light.

Anyway, these cameras are easy to build yourself, and the entire 2 camera setup fits in one small pistol box + a piece of rebar. These work well further than people can reliably shoot.

Click to see a larger image-

Images of Target Cam and shooting: (Click images for larger views)

In the case - 2 Monitors with integrated receivers, DVRs, LION battery and Multi-cam monitoring with 2 cameras
    Target

Target example2

Receiving and recording control example1 with Directional receiving panel

Multi-Cam DVR, Receiver system (Can easily fit inside a pack with all your shooting gear to move FFPs.)​

New (replacement) sending unit test --Image from 4,200 yards with direction receiving panel​

Ranged to back of the house (street test location was further)

2,200 Yards to Target - against hill across dry sink (white area)

Sending unit - transmitter and tiny antenna tall tripods are not needed, but rebar be & is cheap, increases the efficiency and will not blow over like tall tripods​

Looking up from Camera/Target to FFPs

Image from 2050 Yards - with standard receiving panel (different location) Better Quality

View 1 different location

Suggested substitute build Items to reduce cost:

Because the antenna dB and system power are high, there is not a need for TALL or full-sized tripods. Pieces of 1/4-20 All-Thread rods and connectors can be used as tripod extenders or stand-alone supports. A large part of the cost is the 4 very small tripods with heads. These are great and fit inside the case as shown, but they add over $210 to the package. The images below are a way to save about $200 from my build list. Save about $300 total by repurposing an old bag or suitcase along with eliminating the tripods, and you'll still have a great ELR camera system with recording features!

A wooden square with a small length of All-Thread makes an excellent tripod substitute
    https://flic.kr/p/vnbAU7
    Rear Connection with a small shelf bracket used - connectors are used to allow extensions
    https://flic.kr/p/usDxrg
    Sending Units and Antennas can use a wooden base or run directly in the ground
    https://flic.kr/p/vpu6eX
    Sending Units and Antennas run directly in the ground using rebar. The second Target is the bare area behind the sink.
    https://flic.kr/p/HexUP2
    Close up view of the connector to sending antenna (Tiny 1/4x20 ball head for easy aiming option)
    https://flic.kr/p/Hey9zt
    Close up view of Panel mount - 1/4"x20 with couplers on either end
    https://flic.kr/p/J1B2dY
    Cut at an angle for direct access into the ground or use rebar and a hose clamp

Build list with links to the parts:

Connectors, small parts, optional solar power, and wireless extension:
    • 66ft Video Audio Power Extension CablePre-made All-in-One BNC with RCA adapters Extension cable to put a battery, Transmitter and antenna 20meters/66' away from the target
    • RCA Female to Female CouplerJack Adapters 3PK - (need only 1 on the camera side - local electronic will be cheaper)
    • BNC Female to RCA Female Coupler Adapter Connector10PK - (need only 1 on the camera side - local electronic will be cheaper)
    • DC Power Connector, JACKED DC Jack Adapter Plug For CCTV, Camera, LED Strips, 10 Pairs of 2.1x5.5mm Female and Male Connector (need only 3 pairs / 5 pairs if adding solar)
      • Price $12 .99
      • Web Link: DC connectors
        • Target Side: Battery 2x Female If adding solar +1 Female and +1 Male if adding solar
        • Transmitter 1x Male Camera 1x Male
        • FFP / Monitor side:
          • Battery 1x Female If adding solar +1 Female and +1 Male if adding solar
          • Monitor with integrated DVR and receiver 1 x Male
    • Video and audio Connectors Ksmile 6 Male +6 Female Plug to AV Screw Terminal Plug Connector / UTP Cat5/Cat6 Cable to AV RCA Male Screw
    • 100' Feet 18 GA Gauge Red Black 2 Conductor Speaker Wire Audio Cable
    • Spade connectors- 100pcs Female Fully Insulated Wire Crimp Terminal Nylon Quick Connectors Wiring Spade (need only 4)
    • SMA Cables
      • Transmitter: RF coaxial coax adapter SMA female to RP-SMA male (no center pins or cable with no center pins)
      • 12"/30cm Male to Female RP-SMA Extension Cable
      • Receiver/Monitor: If you get the panel antenna, you'll need an RP-SMA to the connector on the back. Ask the retailer for the proper cable to your FPV monitor SMA-RP Male with the center pin. Most antennas, as the 2 14dbi on the white monitor, will attach directly. If you're using the large white panel as in the link above, you'll want TP-Link 0.5-Metre 2.4GHz/5GHz Pigtail Cable with N-type Male to RP-SMA Male connector (TL-ANT200PT)
    • Camera mount small1"x1" shelf bracket found at any hardware store
      • Web Link sample image of a bracket: sample bracket image
      • Velcro to hold camera found at any hardware store
      • Price $5
    • 1/4-20 hardware misc
      • Camera: x1 1/4-20 coupler, x1 1/4-20 bolt
        • Transmitter: x1 wire loop, x1 1/4-20 coupler, x1 1/4-20 wing nut
        • Receiver: x1 1/4-20 wing nut
        • If using transmitter extenders or 1/4-20 all-thread instead of tripods: add several 1 1/4-20 couplers, 1/4-20 wing nuts, 1/4-20 nuts and washers
    • Tools
      • Electrical tape - cover the terminals
      • Wire stripers
      • Small Philips screwdriver
    • Optional Zoom lens for Boscam HD BT19
      • Marshall Electronics 25mm f/2.5 Hi-Resolution Miniature Glass Lens for Board Cameras, M12 Mount, Approx. 11deg. AOV, 4 Elements - __allows the camera to be really far back from the plate (It does mess with the white balance, giving the video a red look as the then does not have an IR cut filter on it - this is still usable and can be fixed in post, or left alone)
      • 1.25 Inch UV IR CUT Block Filter Infra-Red Filter CCD Camera Interference UV Filter(optional, can be used to return video white balance - you can use any IR CUT and pace in front of the lens if so desired.)
      • Sunshade IR cut filter holder PVC Pipe Fitting, Adapter, 1" Socket x 3/4" NPT Female
        • Web Link: NA Get at Home depot. Sand the 3/4" side for a slip fit over the Marshall Telephoto lens.
        • Price $1
    • Optional Microwave relay to replace the 50' video, power and audio extension with wireless relay
      • Wireless Audio VideoAV Transmitter Receiver Sender Set 16-ch 1.2ghz 700mw
        • Web Link: [Wireless 1.2 uplink](amazon.com/Camecho¿-Wireless-Transmitter-Receiver-Sender/dp/B00MPDTUY2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00)
        • Price $48.86
      • **Battery** Sending unit Power-Sonic PS-12120 Battery; Sealed Lead Acid; Rechargeable; 12 V; 12 Ah; Spill-Proof; ABS Case; AGM
      • From the above supplies:
        • x1 2.1mm power male
        • x2 Spade connectors
    • Optional Solar panels to extendbattery life for multiple days. 1 at Target 1 at FFP
    • Optional inline power switch
    • Optional 4.3" monitor: Run in parallel, using the output jack from the main DVR/Monitor and an video/power extension cord as in the original build list ~ allows other shooter the ability to view the downrange cameras if hard-wired to the DVR/receiver in the build list above, without the expense of the DVR and extra antennas.
    • Optional tripod elimination or height extensions between transmitterbattery and extension
      • 1/4x20 All-Thread hardware to extend to 6' or stick the sending unit, camera, etc. into the ground or threading into the top of one of the tripods
      • Available at any hardware store
    • Optional Microphoneusing the SD Camera with 8mm lens, inline zoom control, 700TVL, Weatherproof WDR Camera 1/3 Inch Sony Effio-p DSP Array IR 40m or if using cameras without audio

Last edited:
    I've been researching this camera setup.

Appears a few of the links to items are no longer working.

The Boscam HD19 1080p camera

The 5.8GZ flat panel antenna

Boscam 5.8gz Thunderbolt Transmitter

I found these items..... Are they suitable replacements?

Flat Panel Receiver Antenna https://www.amazon.com/Panel-5Ghz-W...r=8-1-spons&keywords=wifi+panel+antenna&psc=1

Boscam 1080P camera https://www.ebay.com/itm/Boscam-FPV...551230?hash=item1ecefaa37e:g:cdgAAOSwtJNZsWhH

Ya, as long as you keep the stuff to 12V, you'll be good. use a wide pattern at the FFP and a narrower one at the target on the antenna's and you should find success. You really can use any camera, security camera, even an old camcorder as long as you can set it up with a remote battery and it has RCA out.

Ya, as long as you keep the stuff to 12V, you'll be good. use a wide pattern at the FFP and a narrower one at the target on the antenna's and you should find success. You really can use any camera, security camera, even an old camcorder as long as you can set it up with a remote battery and it has RCA out.

I was lookin at connecting my GoPro clone (4K action cam from China ) it has a micro HDMI output which I've successfully connected to my TV input.

but I haven't found a way to connect the micro hdmi to the video transmitter.

addittionally, if I understand correctly, the action cam will be damaged if connected to 12v battery the transmitter is powered by.

I was lookin at connecting my GoPro clone (4K action cam from China ) it has a micro HDMI output which I've successfully connected to my TV input.

but I haven't found a way to connect the micro hdmi to the video transmitter.

addittionally, if I understand correctly, the action cam will be damaged if connected to 12v battery the transmitter is powered by.

Ya, those $60 4K cameras are unbelievably priced. They do make mini HDMI to RCA but have no solution for the battery

Thank You for the work to make this post happen. Looks like another winter project to save time in the spring.

Thanks for the heads up-

3rd or forth time this thread has moved.. Sorry but a lot of images and video seem to have been lost.. I see if I can rebuild any of it. Shortly

Please ignore - TEST random image upload edit --
    issues with images and original post being over the text limit

38371862094_7d44349e36_z.jpg

to fix images
    24220345377_0cb3bd3474_z.jpg

Text bla bla bla
    24220344677_9ca3098492_z.jpg

bala bla

38371861534_2e319bbc48_z.jpg

Last edited:
    I've got my system up and running. tested at 1000 yards 2 days ago.

I'm looking to add sound with add-on microphone. This will require me to replace the current 50ft video/power cable with a all-in-one cable.
    Your cable link is broken. Looking at your picture, your cable has a "white" connector for audio. I can only find cables with "red" audio, black power and yellow video. Masione Pre-made 50ft Feet Audio Video Power CCTV Security Camera.

Do you have any links for the cable with "white" audio ??

Thanks for the thread. It's helped me build my own.

Mike

I'm looking to add sound with add-on microphone. This will require me to replace the current 50ft video/power cable with a all-in-one cable.
    Your cable link is broken. Looking at your picture, your cable has a "white" connector for audio. I can only find cables with "red" audio, black power and yellow video. Masione Pre-made 50ft Feet Audio Video Power CCTV Security Camera.

Mike

Mike,

I have to see if I can look it up..

Jt

Mike

Mike,

Sorry, I forgot to get back to you!

You can use any cable for alarm/surveillance systems and color code with electrical tape. But here it is available in every 5 meters to 20 meters/66'
    https://www.amazon.com/Extension-Se...3&sr=8-32&keywords=rca+video+power+cable&th=1

51YdU7kNxjL._SX425_.jpg

Here's a handful of pictures of my setup:

Unfortunately, the LCD unit malfunctioned after the first use at the range. It will no longer recognize any microSD card ... grrr

I need to modify the camera on the stick... It moves/wobbles a bit when the winds are blowing.

The LCD unit could pickup the signal with its 2 attached antenna at 1000 yards.

The downrange directional antenna will be attached to a rod instead of the tripod.

RangeCam.jpg
    RangeCam.jpg
    RangeCamLCD.jpg
    RangeCam.jpg
    RangeCamSetup.jpg
    RangeCamera.jpg

Reactions: sandwarrior
    Some how the LCD is reading the microSD cards now. I was able to record my last shooting range session at 1000 yards.

Next up, is getting the microphone connected!

Reactions: Diver160651
    @mikeinfwa -NICE! Thanks for sharing your setup

I bought a microphone on Amazon. It was barely able to record audio. I had to YELL into the mic to capture the faintest sounds.

They sent me a replacement today...

It has the same difficulty.

Do the mic's need an amplifier?? The ad says it has a
    • AUDIO MICROPHONE HAS Qualitative Preamplifier used to increase a microphone's low output voltage to a stronger usable level. High Sensitive Audio Sound Pick Up. CCTV DVR audio microphone is guaranteed to work more than 5,000 hours.

Link to the microphone

UPDATE:

I hooked this mic to my TV... it works just fine.

THe problem is with the LCD Screen Unit. THis LCD unit has many problems

Last edited:
    Has anyone come up with an affordable HD broadcast system that doesn't need tall tripods or multiple repeaters and huge power?

I need it to work in these kinds of winds and not topple over on need wires to stabailize

small.jpg

Not cheap, Ubiquiti Link does long range point to point wireless. Stringing commercial WiFi has challenges as you know, even with POE and batteries, very hard to do, and it all degrades with hops and the last of the land.

Question do you think the 2000mw transmitter is necessary? Im building a target cam with a gopro and a 600mw transmitter. Hows the live view quality using a analog transmitter? as good as the recordings?

Question do you think the 2000mw transmitter is necessary? Im building a target cam with a gopro and a 600mw transmitter. Hows the live view quality using a analog transmitter? as good as the recordings?
    Transmission is SD // on board cams are HD or whatever. GoPro is rather expensive to put down range though.. just a thought