• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Emergency fuel shut off '98 Plymouth Breeze?

MJ1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2012
Kid up the street rear ended another car and his air bags deployed. Now after pulling the fender off the wheel he has no fuel pressure. Recall seeing a Nissan Z with a pretty girl having this problem and the two driver pushed a reset in the trunk and she drove home. Anyone know about this?

TIA

The fuel cut off / inertia switch is mounted on the firewall in the engine bay on my truck and to reset it you just press on the button to reset. Like Gunfighter said look at a schematic for your vehicle to see where yours is located. If the inertia switch was tripped the fuel pump will not work, turn the key to the on postion without trying to crank the engine and have someone at the back of the vehicle to listen for the fuel pump it should come on for a few seconds if you don't crank the starter. If you hear the pump come on then the inertia switch is not tripped . Check the fuel pump fuse as well.

PS

I am not a mechanic i have just worked on my own cars for the longest time.

owners manual or internet search.. I had one trip in a ford and the reset was in the trunk

Having looked at the entire wiring diagram it doesn't look like that car has an inertia or impact switch for the fuel system. In fact to my knowledge only Ford Motor Company vehicles (some Mazda's built by Ford) have that feature. I have never in over 25 years seen that on a GM, Chrysler, toyota, honda, nissan, bmw, audi, volkswagen, kia, subaru

Land Rover's have them.

I believe only the years that they were owned by Ford Motor Company, making them Ford Motor Vehicles. I am not sure why Ford uses them, I would assume that there is a story behind it.

I also haven't seen them on anything except for fords. BMW has an exploding battery cable cutting main power. I do believe you have an asd relay. Have a scan tool handy? You can see if the PCM is allowing fuel

Thank you for all the replies. I think I will take my test lite with me on my dog walk later. I don't want to get 2 involved but I'm tired of looking at it.