• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Emerson "wave" feature questions

jeo556

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2009
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Looking for a new edc knife and I stumbled upon a few with the Emerson "wave" feature. Watching some videos of knives with this feature being "deployed" it looks interesting, but I have a few questions. So if anyone owns a knife with this feature I'd like to know......
Can you remove the knife from your pocket without the blade deploying? Is this feature useful or a gimmick for a edc/defensive knife? Would you buy another knife with this feature or not based on your experiences?

I appreciate all feedback.

JEO

Can you remove the knife from your pocket without the blade deploying?

yes, you simply pull the knife straight up or pull it our forward in your pocket.

Is this feature useful or a gimmick for a edc/defensive knife?

for an EDC knife, yeah, it works alright.....good when you only have one hand.

for a Defensive knife, i wouldnt rely on it.....i dont like the idea of relying on something getting caught on your pocket to open.....

Would you buy another knife with this feature or not based on your experiences?

meh, it really wouldnt impact my decision one way or the other.

I've had several versions with the wave feature. Yes, you can easily remove it without deploying the blade. The wave portion catches the edge/corner of the pocket. If you pull it out with a slight rearward motion and hard enough, blade will deploy. Slight rearward motion slow and easy, blade will half-way deploy. Pull it without catching the edge/corner, blade will not deploy. I like the wave feature and to me it is very edc friendly and partical. But I'm not crazy about the chisel grind (unless you go custom or reprofile).

I only have two standard size Commander's. Nothing to add about deployment methodology not already mentioned. I find they are too big for dress slacks, tactical cargo pants okay. They have a nice ergonomic feel. These are the Jungle and their newest limited edition Blue Line Commander (metallic blue titanium liner and flag icon). I like a section of the knife to have serrations so I ordered them that way. IMG_6056 copy.jpg
IMG_4583 copy.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6051 copy.jpg
    IMG_6051 copy.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I am a fan of emerson knives. The only downside I have found is that they are heavy. Other than that I love them. When they are new I take them apart, polish them, and regrease them. They are pretty indestructible.

Wave works great. Nice feature when it's needed and it's also nice when I am working and need my off hand to hold something and can just pull out the knife ready to use. I have had good luck with Emerson. I am very hard on my carry knife and the Emersons are damn near indestructible.

Ive carried a Commander everyday for several years now and love it. If its an actual Emerson knife, it will be slightly stiff to open at first but wears in nicely if you practice with it a bit. Emerson even states online and in manuals that they are not intended to be worn with slacks or casual pants. They are intended to be worn with jeans or BDU type pants since they have a stiffer seam around the pockets to support the wave feature. I also have a Spyderco Wave Endura and really like it also, but its much lighter and I prefer a liner lock like on the Commander. Im not a knife guy, but I do carry one almost all the time, after having my Commander, I doubt ill ever carry another knife without the wave feature.

Carry it for edc . Just like a ccw pistol you practice deployment . I put some skateboard tape
On the side opposite the clip for a more positive grip . I like the size but would prefer a flipper just haven't found one that size .

I've carried an Emerson Mini Commander or signature series every day for several years. Very good knives intended for hard use. They're not to look "pretty" or just looked at. Ernest Emerson makes no bones about these being meant to use and use hard. Excellent company. I've sent a couple in for "the spa treatment" or drill and tapped for left pocket carry. (That has to be done because of the wave and belt clip position). Always gotten fast service without any issues.

Like mentioned, practice deployment. Only down side to deployment of it is that you have to reposition your hand a little bit once it's out. My personal opinion is that's the case with almost all folders so isn't a big deal for me.

If you buy, get them from a reputable company. There are a ton of knock off imitations on flee-bay.

Last thing that hasn't been mentioned, look into an Emerson Kershaw model. Same wave feature but mass produced and not as durable. Cost on those in my area is about $50. Might make it easier to try one with the monster sized price tag.

Like said above, practice practice. Lost my original Emerson putting up a treestand few years back, have a Roadhouse in my pocket everyday!

Like Slash mentioned, Kershaw makes a model too, it looks like a Mini Commander but even smaller. I got one for about $35 just cuz the price was right. Its actually a pretty decent little knife. Too small for what I wanted, and not nearly the quality of an Emerson, but definetly worth the price tag just for a spare, back up, of general utility knife.

I really like the wave feature and routinely carry an Emerson CQC-7. Other than carrying a fixed blade it is the fastest way to deploy a folding blade that I know of.

Emerson isn't the only option though. Kershaw, Zero Tolerance and Spyderco all make knives with the wave. I have three of the Kershaws (CQC-6K, 5K and 2K) and they are decent knives but I don't see more in my future. The G-10 scales feel cheap and the steel is soft (easy to sharpen though). I have used the 6K a great deal and like it but I have had to adjust it several times, and add Loctite, to keep the blade even remotely centered. I'm not talking about knife geek OCD either, I'm talking about keeping the blade from hitting the liners with regular use. The 5K is the smoothest of the three and and a nice size for EDC, no problems. The 2K is too small for my tastes and I gave it to my nine year old for his birthday.

If cost is an issue look at the Spyderco Endura or Delica with the wave, they are much more refined Japanese made knives with VG-10 steel as opposed to the Chinese made Kershaws. You can find the Spydercos for around $75.

Unfortunately I have read that ZT has discontinued the Emerson designed 0630 but they can still be found online.

I really like the wave feature and routinely carry an Emerson CQC-7. Other than carrying a fixed blade it is the fastest way to deploy a folding blade that I know of.

Emerson isn't the only option though. Kershaw, Zero Tolerance and Spyderco all make knives with the wave. I have three of the Kershaws (CQC-6K, 5K and 2K) and they are decent knives but I don't see more in my future. The G-10 scales feel cheap and the steel is soft (easy to sharpen though). I have used the 6K a great deal and like it but I have had to adjust it several times, and add Loctite, to keep the blade even remotely centered. I'm not talking about knife geek OCD either, I'm talking about keeping the blade from hitting the liners with regular use. The 5K is the smoothest of the three and and a nice size for EDC, no problems. The 2K is too small for my tastes and I gave it to my nine year old for his birthday.
it's a much fairer comparison
If cost is an issue look at the Spyderco Endura or Delica with the wave, they are much more refined Japanese made knives with VG-10 steel as opposed to the Chinese made Kershaws. You can find the Spydercos for around $75.

Unfortunately I have read that ZT has discontinued the Emerson designed 0630 but they can still be found online.

Comparing the Kershaw CQC to an Emerson is a bit apples and oranges. If you compare the ZT line it's a much fairer comparison. The ZT line is US made, uses "exotic steels", has a great warranty and are very well finished. I have tried the wave feature and found it less reliable and no faster than the flipper on ZTs. The flipper with assist are my favorite folders, to include a handful Benchmade autos.

IF not a wave, I like the Emerson Mach 1 BTS with titanium liner (on the right), which is quite similar to this ZT; both quick to deploy, hold an edge and smaller profile than the Commander.

DSCN4384 copy.jpg

Comparing the Kershaw CQC to an Emerson is a bit apples and oranges. If you compare the ZT line it's a much fairer comparison. The ZT line is US made, uses "exotic steels", has a great warranty and are very well finished. I have tried the wave feature and found it less reliable and no faster than the flipper on ZTs. The flipper with assist are my favorite folders, to include a handful Benchmade autos.

I agree that comparing an actual Emerson with the Kershaw models isn't much of a comparison but I wanted to give the OP my experience with the Kershaws because others had brought them up. I have two ZTs (0350, 0450) with flippers and they are some of my favorite knives as well.

Yeah, if you like the Emerson’s with waves, definitely check out the ZT models with waves. I actually prefer them over their Emerson counterparts. Great steel, sharp as fuck blades that stay sharp for a long damn time, smooth/fast deployment, titanium frame locks... what’s not to like?