• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Encountered a guy at Home Depot rifling through my truck cab.

That's not how the VP bolstered her career...

I shutter to think that's how the DA in the Darrell Brooks trial got her position. :eek:

H336VCVVNWIJW3A35UA2ZDYT7I.jpg

I have locked my car doors, home doors, windows etc since I was a kid. I did not grow up in a rough town, but I grew up in a populated area and more shit happens where there are more people

My wife's family lives in rural Alabama, I can tell you 100% even today they don't lock their doors on their house or their cars. Some leave the keys in their cars when parked at their house (just outside not in a garage) and they never have a problem. Everyone knows everyone else's family, and everyone knows if anyone goes near a house or car or something that isn't theirs, they are probably going to get the ass whooping of their life, if not shot.

a lot depends on where you live

I have locked my car doors always for decades. When I lived in a more populated area, my cars had been broken into many times. I guess some of you have never seen these neat little universal car openers they sell on ebay for $8

Sure unlocked doors are easier, but don't fool yourself...

1669086095894.png

I have locked my car doors, home doors, windows etc since I was a kid. I did not grow up in a rough town, but I grew up in a populated area and more shit happens where there are more people

My wife's family lives in rural Alabama, I can tell you 100% even today they don't lock their doors on their house or their cars. Some leave the keys in their cars when parked at their house (just outside not in a garage) and they never have a problem. Everyone knows everyone else's family, and everyone knows if anyone goes near a house or car or something that isn't theirs, they are probably going to get the ass whooping of their life, if not shot.

a lot depends on where you live

I have locked my car doors always for decades. When I lived in a more populated area, my cars had been broken into many times. I guess some of you have never seen these neat little universal car openers they sell on ebay for $8

Sure unlocked doors are easier, but don't fool yourself...

View attachment 8004340
Some of you guys are super fags just looking for an excuse to run your gums.

The idiot who started this thread is one also. I bet it's all a lie or he is the stupidest moron on the face of this planet.

Let this faggot fest die already.

Some of you guys are super fags just looking for an excuse to run your gums.

The idiot who started this thread is one also. I bet it's all a lie or he is the stupidest moron on the face of this planet.

Let this faggot fest die already.
oh the Irony.

All I read is,

My barn

133 yards to my range.

Congrats on the good life.

Reactions: gamboolman
Thieves steal a part of your life

The time it took to work for the item
The time it took to find and purchase the item
The time dealing with the police etc
The time to find a new item

Thieves should be hung.
Forgot the time it takes to hunt them down.

Reactions: Snipe260 and BurtG
did he find that shallow unmarked grave in the woods he was looking for he should have . if not , he was begging for your help finding his shallow grave and you turned your back on your fellow man forcing him to do it to someone else maybe an old lady . if you did show him where he misplaced what he was looking for your the man and I know nothing .

Reactions: BurtG
While I think the op's story is BS as well, I can give an example of leaving a vehicle unlocked as a "good" thing. At several trailheads for day hikes scumbag(s) would watch for people to leave then break a window if the car was locked then rifle through it.

A friend and I did take turns trying to counter surveil the parking areas to try and catch the scumbag in the act but to no avail. Unless are retired or unemployed time is on their side.

Absolutely. That goes for any encounters with law enforcement - I understand that, ideally, they're just "trying to do their job" but, at the same time, it should just be assumed by them that "we're just trying to protect ourselves" and not being obstinate.

Thing is they don't know if you are "just trying to protect yourself". That is what they are trying to figure out.

Don't lie, don't ever lie it will go bad for you down the road.

Perhaps shut the fuck up sent the wrong message. Saying my neighbor went crazy and came after me with an ax, he was going to kill me. That is one thing. Saying That crazy fucker over there he has always been problems and causing issues for everyone around here, I guess he finally had enough and attacked me with an ax. Totally different thing.

Choose your words very careful. If you take the responsibility to carry you really need to take the time to talk to a GOOD lawyer that deals with this kind of thing, your wife's sisters husband that is a lawyer for a construction company is not going to cut it.

Lets just say it does not work like you see it on TV.

This does not fly in the real world.....oh the stories I could tell.

And therein lies the argument. What is legal, and what is right/wrong. While it may not be legal to shoot someone for breaking into your home, (IMHO) it should be. That person has decided that they are willing to risk their life to take your property (that the thief did not work for). When they cross that line, I kind of feel they deserve whatever they get.

It certainly would reduce crime, and in a hurry, if they knew a victim could legally kill them for trying to steal their property. Perhaps that is where our legal system has gone off the rails...it no longer reflects morality, only the word of the law. But I digress...

FWIW, the OP (IMHO) was playing a dangerous game, and I would recommend others not try the same thing. That being said, I get the morality aspect of him, discerning what is happening, and trying to prevent it. I just wouldn't recommend it, in the current legal state of our society.

JMTCW...
I like your post. I am all for capital punishment. But not as a deterrent. It will not be best to view capital punishment or even the ability to shoot intruders that stops them. But, like a cockroach that you step on, it will stop this one.

In defense of the lady I mentioned, that thief is not going to be able to steal your truck next. Just like executing a child molester does not stop child molesters, in general. But it does stop that particular child molester. Which makes the world a better and slightly safer space.

Thing is they don't know if you are "just trying to protect yourself". That is what they are trying to figure out.

Perhaps shut the fuck up sent the wrong message. Saying my neighbor went crazy and came after me with an ax, he was going to kill me. That is one thing. Saying That crazy fucker over there he has always been problems and causing issues for everyone around here, I guess he finally had enough and attacked me with an ax. Totally different thing.

Choose your words very careful. If you take the responsibility to carry you really need to take the time to talk to a GOOD lawyer that deals with this kind of thing, your wife's sisters husband that is a lawyer for a construction company is not going to cut it.

That's a good point, too. In a self defense situation where the attacker is injured or deceased, you need to be the one calling police. You were attacked. Tell them you are armed. And the other person is down and you need police. Then shut up. Call your lawyer.

The police will arrive and take your gun. Let them. They will start asking questions. You may present ID. Then you say, "I will only respond to question in the presence of my attorney." And leave it at that. Anything you say WILL be used against you. Forget about the word "can." It will be used against you. Nothing wrong with remaining silent. You have that right, as spoken in the Constitution. It is not a haven for criminals, it is a protection for innocence. See James Duane's viral video "Don't talk to the police." And the follow up and his book, "The right to remain innocent."

So, shut up. Then keep shutting up some more. Once you get good at shutting up, then shut up some more, twice on Sundays for practice.

Reactions: jg6.5

"Shut the fuck up" didn't send the wrong message at all - it's exactly what anyone should do after bare minimum information:

"I was in fear for my life"
"I want them arrested"
"That is the suspect, those are witnesses"
"I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you have after consulting my attorney and having them present at the time"

...then shut the fuck up. This will be a concept I teach my daughter when she gets to be the age (think high school) where she's running around with friends and doing the stupid shit that teenagers do - wrong place/wrong time, not anticipating a party getting out of hand, etc:

"Shut the fuck up".

I find it curious that we as citizens are compelled sociologically to extend the courtesy of assumptions to LE, but the same isn't hardly extended back. If we are to assume that they are just trying to do their jobs, they should equally assume that we are trying to act in our/our family's best interest.

The lying thing is interesting too - you absolutely shouldn't lie because, yes, it can (will) destroy your case; but why, then, is LE specifically allowed to lie to you during interrogations?

This isn't to bash LE, as I still have a modicum of respect for their job - but it's just a shame that we as a society have spiraled down to where we currently are due to failures on both sides.

OP here. Thank you for all your input. I re-read my post and must say it happened just as described. If anybody would like proof, that might be hard but I can post a copy of my HD receipt, and the van's license plate OH JOJ-4572.

The plate will come back as belonging to a Pontiac. - Not a van.

As for the bigger picture, I wanted to see if my "read on the situation" was correct. This can happen at any time. Since I never keep anything of value in my vehicle, there wasn't a lot of direct harm in leaving it unlocked.

As for calling a parked vehicle bait, it's not bait. People shouldn't go in other people's vehicles - ever. Further, it's not like I intentionally left an Apple phone on the dash, or a purse on the seat - that might be bait, of course it's still wrong to steal things.

As for locks, normally I do but people smash and grab all the time.

As for confronting somebody (I don't have a Paul Kersey mentality nor am I trying to dig my own grave), I think where we can we should send a message that this sort of behavior isn't acceptable.

Some here might have "hit the locks" then stayed in the shadows seeing if the perps would get out and work the doors.

Then what? What if they decide to break the glass? Then what? Call 911 and wait. Just let them do what they want, take a bit of your dignity and carry on.

Confrontation can go badly. Even if you win the battle, there certainly will be legal issues. No, I would not consider shooting someone over property, that's why I have insurance - my physically well being, yes. I know what the laws are in my state. The only gray area was me ordering the guy out of the area. All things considered, I don't think the police are going to care about that one.

The issue here was keeping track of the second guy, or what might be in the van, hence no time to manage shooting video.

Being 61yo and having carried daily for almost 20 yrs, I'm both comfortable, qualified, and not new or itchy to shoot.

Finally, my daughter is a LEO, she sees these types of confrontations probably on a weekly basis. Part of the reason for building a range was to get her shooting skills where they need to be, many officers only practice to qualify, and a qualifying score those big OPOTA targets is not enough.

These situation exist. Hopefully most of you carry daily. If you don't, you're really not in a position to do much of anything and shouldn't be critical.

Everybody has their opinions on this incident and how they think they would have handled it, it gets people thinking - that's cool.

Finally, I don't mind being called a dickhead.

Manufacturing the circumstances in which lethal force is used will send you to the pokey anywhere (or at least Montana as well, given the case below):

OP's description of the events on an internet forum would be used as "Exhibit A" for the state, and an enterprising young DA looking to prove himself/herself will try to stick you with Murder 1.

That aside, my apologies for somewhat derailing this thread - carry on.
You can parse up intent however you like, but this is a terrible line of reasoning that logically leads to the worst kind of criminal tolerating places. It is absolutely no different than blaming a woman for being raped because she wore a dress above the knee. There is no politically correct way to put it (or at least it doesn't deserve it). "Enticing" crimes because they're not terribly difficult or the victim did not expect to be victimized, as a legal philosophy, is fucking retarded. Not only is it bad legal theory, it elevates intent beyond action and reality, which is a favorite trope of the post modern left, and should not enter the logos, pathos, or ethos of people in their right minds. By the same reasoning you should be charged with murder for meeting an intruder with a handgun. Regardless of whatever measures you took there is a measure beyond that which you consiously did not take, and therefore you invited the intruder into your house with the intent to shoot them. Intent is only a mitigating factor. Action and consequence must be prima facie. To elevate intent above our shared reality is to BE a leftist.

As an admonishment of being more careful or more aware of the evil nature of man I'm fine with these comments, always carry a pistol, lock everything up, be suspicious of strangers, etc. As a means to prosecute the law abiding while allowing criminals to run rampant, which is exactly and precisely the result of such terrible, victim blaming philosophy, it is utter crap.

What you say your intent is truly unknowable. "I locked all my doors and windows and waited to see what happens." Why didn't you put up a security fence around your property? Why did you have a gun in your nightstand if you did not expect an intruder? This simply cannot be allowed to govern. At the end of the day I don't know what your fucking intent was even if you say it. I do however know what you did, or what a criminal did.

Again, not saying that intent has no place in the law, but where you are elevating it is absurd and can't be a part of any legal system that even hope to approach justice.

Reactions: lash and MtnCreek
You can parse up intent however you like, but this is a terrible line of reasoning that logically leads to the worst kind of criminal tolerating places. It is absolutely no different than blaming a woman for being raped because she wore a dress above the knee. There is no politically correct way to put it (or at least it doesn't deserve it). "Enticing" crimes because they're not terribly difficult or the victim did not expect to be victimized, as a legal philosophy, is fucking retarded. Not only is it bad legal theory, it elevates intent beyond action and reality, which is a favorite trope of the post modern left, and should not enter the logos, pathos, or ethos of people in their right minds. By the same reasoning you should be charged with murder for meeting an intruder with a handgun. Regardless of whatever measures you took there is a measure beyond that which you consiously did not take, and therefore you invited the intruder into your house with the intent to shoot them. Intent is only a mitigating factor. Action and consequence must be prima facie. To elevate intent above our shared reality is to BE a leftist.

As an admonishment of being more careful or more aware of the evil nature of man I'm fine with these comments, always carry a pistol, lock everything up, be suspicious of strangers, etc. As a means to prosecute the law abiding while allowing criminals to run rampant, which is exactly and precisely the result of such terrible, victim blaming philosophy, it is utter crap.

What you say your intent is truly unknowable. "I locked all my doors and windows and waited to see what happens." Why didn't you put up a security fence around your property? Why did you have a gun in your nightstand if you did not expect an intruder? This simply cannot be allowed to govern. At the end of the day I don't know what your fucking intent was even if you say it. I do however know what you did, or what a criminal did.

Again, not saying that intent has no place in the law, but where you are elevating it is absurd and can't be a part of any legal system that even hope to approach justice.
Yup...you caught me - I'm a bleeding heart left wing ninny :rolleyes:.

I am not parsing or elevating anything, just relaying information. Like Wade, it appears as if you think I condone it. It's not endorsement, more of realizing this is the world we live in - we can raise pitchforks and try to effect change, but in the meantime this is the way the game appears to be played.

A few years ago, there were 2-3 instances of jackasses going through the neighborhood we lived in at the time checking door handles to see if they were unlocked to score whatever they could - our neighbor forgot to lock their car one of the times. Long story short, the jackasses returned again the next night trying to score again. As much as we both wanted to hide in the backseat of one of our vehicles and assist with getting a few misguided youth right with the Lord, the likelihood of something going bad outweighed any possible positive outcome.

Also, nowhere in the conversations we had did I blame them for forgetting to lock their vehicle - it happens. The onus should not be on one person to compel another to not be a shitbag.

"Shut the fuck up" didn't send the wrong message at all - it's exactly what anyone should do after bare minimum information:

"I was in fear for my life"
"I want them arrested"
"That is the suspect, those are witnesses"
"I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you have after consulting my attorney and having them present at the time"

...then shut the fuck up. This will be a concept I teach my daughter when she gets to be the age (think high school) where she's running around with friends and doing the stupid shit that teenagers do - wrong place/wrong time, not anticipating a party getting out of hand, etc:

"Shut the fuck up".

I find it curious that we as citizens are compelled sociologically to extend the courtesy of assumptions to LE, but the same isn't hardly extended back. If we are to assume that they are just trying to do their jobs, they should equally assume that we are trying to act in our/our family's best interest.

The lying thing is interesting too - you absolutely shouldn't lie because, yes, it can (will) destroy your case; but why, then, is LE specifically allowed to lie to you during interrogations?

This isn't to bash LE, as I still have a modicum of respect for their job - but it's just a shame that we as a society have spiraled down to where we currently are due to failures on both sides.

That is more what I was trying for. I can see how it could be taken as you are mute, that is not what I was trying to say, your basic list said what I was trying to say but better.

OP here. Thank you for all your input. I re-read my post and must say it happened just as described. If anybody would like proof, that might be hard but I can post a copy of my HD receipt, and the van's license plate OH JOJ-4572.

The plate will come back as belonging to a Pontiac. - Not a van.

As for the bigger picture, I wanted to see if my "read on the situation" was correct. This can happen at any time. Since I never keep anything of value in my vehicle, there wasn't a lot of direct harm in leaving it unlocked.

As for calling a parked vehicle bait, it's not bait. People shouldn't go in other people's vehicles - ever. Further, it's not like I intentionally left an Apple phone on the dash, or a purse on the seat - that might be bait, of course it's still wrong to steal things.

As for locks, normally I do but people smash and grab all the time.

As for confronting somebody (I don't have a Paul Kersey mentality nor am I trying to dig my own grave), I think where we can we should send a message that this sort of behavior isn't acceptable.

Some here might have "hit the locks" then stayed in the shadows seeing if the perps would get out and work the doors.

Then what? What if they decide to break the glass? Then what? Call 911 and wait. Just let them do what they want, take a bit of your dignity and carry on.

Confrontation can go badly. Even if you win the battle, there certainly will be legal issues. No, I would not consider shooting someone over property, that's why I have insurance - my physically well being, yes. I know what the laws are in my state. The only gray area was me ordering the guy out of the area. All things considered, I don't think the police are going to care about that one.

The issue here was keeping track of the second guy, or what might be in the van, hence no time to manage shooting video.

Being 61yo and having carried daily for almost 20 yrs, I'm both comfortable, qualified, and not new or itchy to shoot.

Finally, my daughter is a LEO, she sees these types of confrontations probably on a weekly basis. Part of the reason for building a range was to get her shooting skills where they need to be, many officers only practice to qualify, and a qualifying score those big OPOTA targets is not enough.

These situation exist. Hopefully most of you carry daily. If you don't, you're really not in a position to do much of anything and shouldn't be critical.

Everybody has their opinions on this incident and how they think they would have handled it, it gets people thinking - that's cool.

I think you have a good wright up, both this and your original post.

Only thing I will add is you can be an extremely skillful gun owner and have fantastic skills across many different areas and it could still not be a good idea for that person to carry. It is a personal choice and it has just as much to do with your mind as it does your skill with a firearm.....and if you choose not to, well guess what not one single thing wrong with it.

If you have that little voice in the back of your head saying.....man I really don't want to carry, but everyone is saying I should. You need to look at your reasons for not doing it, and weigh them. You might want to bounce your feelings off other folk as well.

Reactions: tomcatmv
People like to fight, even when they say that the don't. Look at some of the grief going on over words.

Anyway, I carry, every day. I am armed in more ways than one. And during the peaceful riots, I had some more "daily carry" items. And I lock everything up. And I do what I can to avoid bad areas and situations that could require deadly force. And that includes road raging. People these days are shooting at each other. So, I am trying to be careful driving and not getting a competition with others. That being said, there are times when a person does something stupid in front of me and as I pass by, I wave my hand out the window and show them that they are number one. But now that I think about it, I might have been using the wrong finger. I am rusty in sign language.

The resolution of this situation suits me fine. The OP did nothing wrong. That being said, locks only keep honest people out. Those cretins would still have been looking in the truck for stuff to steal. Then bust a window to get what they want.

Finding out his daughter is LE is new information. No doubt, she and co-workers would say to lock doors, anyway.

On the other hand, we are losing the battle against these criminals thanks to the commies who are giving releases and no bail and refusing to prosecute thefts. There is no down side to stealing. No punishment, no consequences. At least, yet.

Well damn. I tuned in to see something epic and it turned out to be a Hallmark episode.

But I did hear that there's going to be a party at the Nakatomi Tower.

Reactions: Two36
It has been said that you can kill a man trying to steal your purse, but if after it has been stolen, you cannot go after him and kill him to get it back. It don't agree, but no one asked me.

I have been on all sides of criminal cases (except defendant) judge, defense lawyer and prosecutor and I know all of the justifications. The most deadly weapon is your mouth. You can kill yourself with your mouth quicker than with a Glock 19. Nothing on the internet ever goes away. Just my $0.02...

As for the bigger picture, I wanted to see if my "read on the situation" was correct.

Listen, Dickhead...

You've gotta be the dumbest fuck to post on here in a while if this shit is true.

You see the tweaker mobile, recognize it for what it is... and your decision is not only to park next to it, but to bait the tweakers into a criminal act so you can engage in a confrontation with a weapon?

You give everyone with a CCW a bad name, yours should be revoked for lousy judgment and shear stupidity. What if they had guns too, dipshit?

You think you're billy badass enough to draw and win a 2 on 1 gunfight in a fucking home depot parking lot at bad breath distance? What about the guy walking out with his kids buying Christmas lights that gets caught in the middle of it?

Jesus Christ. The fuck is wrong with you, IDIOT? Next time you see something shitty, park somewhere else dummy, and lock your fucking doors, hell leave and come back later. The best way to win a fight is not to get suckered into it in the first place.

Fucking "Dirty Harry" wannabe in here. Show your daughter, the LEO this thread as you've written it I'd be shocked if she didn't ream you a new one herself.

What exactly were you expecting here, a high five? You fucked it up, the whole thing. The only thing you did right was recognize a potential problem.

Everything after that Joe Biden could have given better advice.

Listen, Dickhead...

You've gotta be the dumbest fuck to post on here in a while if this shit is true.

You see the tweaker mobile, recognize it for what it is... and your decision is not only to park next to it, but to bait the tweakers into a criminal act so you can engage in a confrontation with a weapon?

You give everyone with a CCW a bad name, yours should be revoked for lousy judgment and shear stupidity. What if they had guns too, dipshit?

You think you're billy badass enough to draw and win a 2 on 1 gunfight in a fucking home depot parking lot at bad breath distance? What about the guy walking out with his kids buying Christmas lights that gets caught in the middle of it?

Jesus Christ. The fuck is wrong with you, IDIOT? Next time you see something shitty, park somewhere else dummy, and lock your fucking doors, hell leave and come back later. The best way to win a fight is not to get suckered into it in the first place.

Fucking "Dirty Harry" wannabe in here. Show your daughter, the LEO this thread as you've written it I'd be shocked if she didn't ream you a new one herself.

What exactly were you expecting here, a high five? You fucked it up, the whole thing. The only thing you did right was recognize a potential problem.

Fire two shotgun blast in the air.....that will scare them off.....🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Doc

Streamed on Pay-per-View. Pay off the National debt very quickly.
Im all for a policy of on camera and two third party witnesses, you lose a digit. Second time a hand, third time the opposing foot. No surgery, just cut, burn the wound shut and any future care is onyour dime

Reactions: BurtG
It has been said that you can kill a man trying to steal your purse, but if after it has been stolen, you cannot go after him and kill him to get it back. It don't agree, but no one asked me.

I have been on all sides of criminal cases (except defendant) judge, defense lawyer and prosecutor and I know all of the justifications. The most deadly weapon is your mouth. You can kill yourself with your mouth quicker than with a Glock 19. Nothing on the internet ever goes away. Just my $0.02...
Yes sir, always remember "don't let your alligator mouth get your hummingbird ass in trouble".

Listen, Dickhead...

If LEO such as yourself would stop protecting criminals then this wouldn’t be an issue. Here you are in your typical condescending self showing what’s wrong with policing. I bet you would love to show a man protecting what he worked for who’s boss.