• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

End of an era: Cool Shuttle Pics

High Binder

Resident Tribologist
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2008
Occupied Colorado
Add your own, these are just a few of the one's I've collected over the years. Would have liked to have seen the real deal but...

4fzuxw.jpg

34skpb8.jpg

10saqh4.jpg

2j4ycfo.jpg

Re: End of an era: Cool Shuttle Pics

Added bonus.... The US Honor Flag was aboard this final flight.

Very cool pictures!

Not to hijack the thread, but whats happening with NASA now? Is it given the ax, or does it have a new design that its going to introduce to replace the space shuttle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very cool pictures!

Not to hijack the thread, but whats happening with NASA now? Is it given the ax, or does it have a new design that its going to introduce to replace the space shuttle? </div></div>

Still have robots on other planets, Voyagers in outer space and Cassini, Mercury has a satellite, there's a lot of missions still.

The new rocket was funded and "appeared" to be political because A HUNDRED NASA engineers built and designed a lower cost more reliable one using the shuttle booster engines and they cost 1/10th the price.

Last I heard NASA was "Considering" looking at it.

But I watched a test of the new booster engine, we may be a couple of years from a launch on the new capsule system.

Baby Jesus cried today.How the nation that lead the space race can no longer get off the pad is embarassing at best.

Sad to think that the Russians are our ride to the space station from now on......

I've managed to watch several launches and a couple of returns from Patrick AFB and from my Wife's Dad's porch in Orlando. Also played a minor role with a NASA contractor during the Apollo missions (Yardney-Razdow Labs, Newark NJ. I had overall liason responsibility for subcontractor performance related to fabricating and delivering rhe Command Module windows.). Really unique and satisfying experience.

I am personally disgusted with the way our leadership has abandoned NASA and the Manned Space mission. I can try hard to understand that when the economy is on the trashcan, some achievements would need to be held for a better economy, but we already made this same mistake when the Apollo program was cut back. When the time came to crank up the Shuttle program, all the physical plant, industrial base, and educational support had to be restarted from nothing. And here we go again, headfirst right off the cliff.

Greg

I had a very small hand in Space Shuttle construction. It was just a temporary assigment, as our main program was the Tomahawk Cruise Missle. And even though my involvement was small and short lived, I've always been immensely proud of it. I am sorry to see this day.

Here's hoping we'll have new exciting programs to be proud of soon!

Cheers... Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've managed to watch several launches and a couple of returns from Patrick AFB

I am personally disgusted with the way our leadership has abandoned NASA and the Manned Space mission.

headfirst right off the cliff.
</div></div>

Lucky, seeing an actual launch would have been so cool. I wish I had had the means to do that. Guess I'm going to Russia someday..

I couldn't agree more. I cannot fathom why we pay for 90% of this shit we pay for that is in the long run effectively meaningless yet we dismantle NASA and ask NASA to promote relations with Muslims? WTF is that? This is crazy town.

No economy has ever spent it's way back to prosperity but economies do innovate their way to prosperity and our space program was a symbol of our innovative spirit.

I think that the best thing the government can do with tax dollars is to spend it on projects that put/keep Americans working, and our industries advancing. When we stop doing that and start borrowing to subsidize indigence, we're burning the lifeboats.

I gave up expecting this country to prosper quite some time back. The thing it seems to be most bent upon is self destruction in the name of righteous satisfaction.

Right, right, everybody's got to be <span style="font-style: italic">right</span>. So let's all be right and get over it.

I just hope they get it all over with ASAP, so we can pick up all the pieces and start putting together whatever's coming next soonest.

But no, the agony <span style="font-style: italic">must</span> be prolonged...

I'm glad I'm old and likely won't have to endure it all too much longer.

Greg

One should worry...where will these smart engineers go with their Rocket Science Skills

Private ok
Foreign countries ....bad for US
Don't think for one minute the Ruskies and The Chinese won't weaponize space...

Gee.. think I am paranoid???

Great photos. I have followed every single launch. Never got to go to one.
all is not lost however. The Orion program will be our manned carrier. The capsule is shaped like the Mecury and Appolo types, but will be a lot larger (6 passenger). Cargo in a can shaped (Soyuz shape) rig to the rear of the manned rig. This will enable us to go back to a single rocket (multi-stage of course) configuration, and lift more often (cheaper). There are also private rocketeers who will be flying supply missions, and personnel changes. Check out NASA's web site for update.
We will still be flying to the space station.
There are some incredible images of the station and shuttle on "Astronomy Photo Of The Day".
You can also discover when the Space Station will fly over your head, by checking at "Heavens Above" . Type in your location, and and the computer displays the schedule for your location for the next ten nights. It is huge now, second brightest object in the night sky after the moon.

NASA no longer is the smartest kids on the block. They've gotten mired down in bureaucracy and political causes (i.e., MMGW). They've been through two cycles of designing a replacement for the STS but neither has gotten off the ground, so to speak. The STS never came anywhere close to meeting its design objectives for providing cheap, safe, reliable space flight with quick turn-arounds. There was too much infighting about how to correct the causes of those problems, which carried over to the design debates for its projected replacements. Their major malfunction is that they're still married to the Wernher von Braun model of a multi-stage, vertical delivery and a high-speed, high temp recovery. The greater lesson of the "X-Prize" competition was that there have been smarter, safer, cheaper solutions available for decades but NASA has been ignoring them because they necessarily involve scrapping the WVB model.

It's a safe bet that space already is weaponized, and the Boeing X-37 is both a reconnaissance vehicle and an anti-satellite weapon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NASA no longer is the smartest kids on the block. They've gotten mired down in bureaucracy and political causes (i.e., MMGW). They've been through two cycles of designing a replacement for the STS but neither has gotten off the ground, so to speak. The STS never came anywhere close to meeting its design objectives for providing cheap, safe, reliable space flight with quick turn-arounds. There was too much infighting about how to correct the causes of those problems, which carried over to the design debates for its projected replacements. Their major malfunction is that they're still married to the Wernher von Braun model of a multi-stage, vertical delivery and a high-speed, high temp recovery. The greater lesson of the "X-Prize" competition was that there have been smarter, safer, cheaper solutions available for decades but NASA has been ignoring them because they necessarily involve scrapping the WVB model.

It's a safe bet that space already is weaponized, and the Boeing X-37 is both a reconnaissance vehicle and an anti-satellite weapon.</div></div>

From an evolutionary perspective, NASA has been doomed for nearly half a century, as they've been married to the staged rocket model since Day One. Go read George Dyson's book on the Orion Project, and there's a chillingly prescient comment in there from one of the physicists about the Apollo Program, and NASA's complete disdain for Orion. Even back in the early 60s, the writing was on the wall: Apollo was a one-shot, one-mission program, and after NASA blew their wad getting to the Moon with a system that couldn't do anything else, manned spaceflight was done for. The funding and the public interest evaporated, and we drifted off into a stall with the Space Shuttle. The smartest engineers saw exactly what was going to happen, did their best to prevent it, and failed. And now we've finally seen the end of manned American spaceflight. When I stood on the waterfront and felt Atlantis take off for the last time, I cried knowing that it signified the death knell of our best hope to get off of this rock.

Arbiter, I'm sure a lot felt the same way at the end of the Apollo missions. Me, I know that man's curiosity won't let us stay in a rut for long. I'm actually excited for what's next.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Good News!!</span> NASA is only 20 years away from catching up to where it was <span style="font-weight: bold">30 years ago</span>.

If I had a million dollars, I'd bet it fearlessly that Burt Rutan and Richard Branson will put a tourist on the moon before this comes to pass.

<span style="font-size: 14pt">Preliminary NASA plan shows Evolved SLS vehicle is 21 years away</span>

July 27th, 2011 by Chris Bergin

A new schedule, created by NASA, has provided a “preliminary, budget restricted” manifest which places the first flight of the fully evolved Space Launch System (SLS) in the year 2032. The information includes details on the chosen configuration and hardware, but provides a depressing schedule, with a flight rate of just one mission per year, after a staggered opening which results in SLS-2 waiting until 2021 to launch.

<span style="font-weight: bold">The Ongoing SLS Delay:</span>

As admitted by NASA Administrator Charlie Bolden, the decision on the configuration of the Space Launch System (SLS) was made on June 15, a decision based on the winning Design Reference Vehicle (DRM) out of the Marshall Space Flight Center (MSFC) hosted RAC (Requirements Analysis Cycle) study effort.

Memos on the decision, based around the utilization of a Shuttle Derived (SD) Heavy Lift Launch Vehicle (HLV) – as requested in the Authorization Act – soon circulated at the main NASA centers, with references to an official announcement to be made on July 8, the launch date for STS-135.

In a sign of how widespread the information was, Atlantis’ commander Chris Ferguson told the media to expect the announcement on the next vehicle to be made on launch day, following his arrival at the Shuttle Landing Facility (SLF) from Houston. His statement wasn’t retracted, nor was it corrected, by NASA Public Affairs.

July 8 came and went, as Atlantis launched on the final NASA shuttle mission – and most likely the last domestic manned mission for several years.

General Bolden was then called in front of a “Full Committee Hearing – A Review of NASA’s Space Launch System“, where lawmakers were given the chance to ask questions about the delay in pressing on with the SLS.

After a tough opening question, the General gave arguably his most impressive public performance to date, holding firm on why he was not able to reveal specifics on the vehicle’s configuration. His defence was related to industry restrictions and an ongoing independent cost analysis effort by Booz Allen.

That costing effort – which began on July 5 – is likely to be completed by mid-August, while an announcement on the configuration of the vehicle, is expected “soon”.

An attempt to request NASA push on with making a public statement on the SLS configuration to the media – to coincide with Atlantis’ landing at the Kennedy Space Center – was turned down by NASA’s leadership.

The continued delays to the announcement are now causing numerous managers and workers – at least those remaining after the massive jobs losses shortly after Atlantis’ return – to question if the delay is based on politically-aligned tactics to kill the SLS.

As many are aware, a second round of job cuts are expected to be carried out soon at key SLS bases – such as the Michoud Assembly Facility (MAF) in New Orleans, where managers have attempted to delay and extend WARN notices in the hope of bridging the gap between Shuttle and SLS – again based on the raised hopes of the June configuration decision by General Bolden.

The continued delays have now resulted in MAF’s management losing patience, as August 26 was set as the date for all of the remaining workforce – a key SLS skill set – to be released.

In effect, those opposed to SLS – such as the architects of the FY2011 plan – only need to delay another month before they can cite the “difficulties and costs” of having to rehire workers to build a vehicle which could have been announced when the workforce was still in place.

<span style="font-weight: bold">SLS Configuration and Schedule:</span>

The SLS configuration is – as expected - based around a SD HLV, using “Shuttle” boosters, engines and external tank heritage. However, information – acquired in the new L2 SLS section – has provided the most recent and comprehensive overview on the specifics of what is a core vehicle from the onset.

Click here for recent SLS Articles:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/tag/hlv/

Initially, the call was to debut the SLS in 2016. As recently noted, the schedule for the opening flight has moved to December 2017 – although it now has an actual mission.

The mission will be lunar, with SLS-1 lofting Orion (MPCV) on an unmanned mission around the Moon.

Ironically, SpaceX recently noted – during their Falcon Heavy announcement – they are close to such a mission capability, far sooner than 2017.

SLS-1 will debut the vehicle in a 2.5 configuration, utilizing three Space Shuttle Main Engines (SSMEs) – otherwise known as RS-25Ds, donated by the Shuttle fleet – on an 8.4m diameter “External Tank” core, stretching 212 feet in length, with five segment Solid Rocket Boosters (SRBs).

It will also sport a 5m “kick stage” – which sources claim is a man rated version of the Boeing Delta IV upper stage. This stage was also listed as one of the candidates for the Sidemount SD HLV.

Nearly four years will pass before the next SLS launch in August 2021, known as SLS-2, a vehicle which is identical to SLS-1, with the only difference being an element of the mission, which would be a manned trip around the moon in the MPCV, prior to a west coast landing in the Pacific.

Although the manifest is very much “to be decided” – August, 2022 would be the next launch date, with SLS-3 again using the same configuration, as would SLS-4 one year later.

SLS-5, in August 2024, would be the debut of the Cargo SLS, with a new fairing and a vehicle hardware change possible – as the winner of the booster competition would debut with this HLV.

While ATK’s Reusable Solid Rocket Motor (RSRM) boosters may continue, should they win the competition, sources claim a likely switch to an RP-1/LOX booster – although an actual engine for such a booster has not been cited at this time.

Sources note the potential options for the liquid booster engine range from a TR-107, to a cluster of AJ-26-500s, to maybe even SpaceX’s Merlin 2. Based on such a manifest becoming a reality, such options would have well over a decade to provide such an option for the SLS.

SLS-6 – August 2025 – would return to the manned configuration, although no mission other than “exploration” – possibly as part of a Near Earth Object (NEO) mission – has been cited by the information.

SLS-7 – August 2026 – a Cargo SLS launch, would see one change to the vehicle, as the expendable SSME – known as the RS-25E – would be employed on the vehicle, taken over from the exhausted Shuttle SSME stock. Again, three engines would be required, as much as all of the SLS vehicles will be designed to have “space” for five engines.

With the manned and cargo SLS’ taking it in turns for the single mission per year role, SLS-11 – August, 2030 – would be the next change, as the five engine core is filled with the two extra RS-25Es, utilizing the full core power plant.

This configuration’s debut would be a cargo based mission, followed by a crewed mission one year later.

And then, in August of 2032, the evolved SLS is expected to debut (see image left), again based on the same 5xRS-25E driven core, but this time with a full Upper Stage, becoming the 130mt+ HLV. This debut (SLS-13) would be – as expected – based around a cargo mission.

Sources note the Upper Stage for the evolved SLS would utilize three J-2Xs, an engine which was originally set be involved with the since-cancelled Ares vehicles.

Other notes of interest claim the Ares Mobile Launcher (ML) has earned a reprieve, after it was initially claimed it would be cheaper to build a new launch platform, as opposed to carrying out expensive changes to the Fixed Service Structure (FSS) and Launch Mount – both of which were very specifically designed with the Ares I in mind.

The Ares ML – currently parked near the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) – was also going to be hooked up to the Roller Coaster Emergency Egress System (ESS), a massive structure which was to be built in-situ at Pad 39B. However, it is understood that despite a large amount of money being spent on the design phase, this concept has been scrapped and won’t return for the SLS.

Other efforts, such as the modifications and long-term life extension of at least one of the Crawler Transporters (CTs) to provide the ride for the SLS to the pad, are continuing.

As noted at the start of the article, sources have noted this schedule is preliminary, based on a poor funding forecast – a “worst case scenario” manifest, although no one was able to provide even a draft version of an improved schedule.

(Images: Via L2 content, driven by L2&#8242;s new SLS specific L2 section, which includes, presentations, videos, graphics and internal updates on the SLS and HLV.

(L2 is – as it has been for the past several years – providing full exclusive future vehicle coverage, available no where else on the internet. To join L2, click here: http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/l2/)

One day they will release the data they have from those transformer robot dudes in the big warehouses and get on with technology. Barring that, unless they come up with new propulsion technology, the 'state of the art' is pretty much stuck on old school rockets. I really do wonder what kind of technology they are working on in those big hidden places though. Must be pretty cool...unless they are just sitting there wondering wtf to do next

Considering the Russians have been doing this longer than anyone else (54 years, come this October), I have to ask myself, why are these catastrophic failures still so common? Could it be they need a different model with fewer (and more robust) single points of failure?

<span style="font-size: 14pt">Space station supply ship crashes back to Earth</span>

By Tariq Malik

(Space.com)

An unmanned Russian cargo ship carrying tons of supplies for astronauts on the International Space Station suffered a major malfunction after launching today and ultimately crashed back to Earth, NASA officials say.

The robotic Progress 44 cargo ship blasted off atop a Soyuz U rocket at 9 a.m. ET (1300 GMT) from the central Asian spaceport of Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan and was due to arrive at the space station on Friday.

"Unfortunately, about 325 seconds into flight, shortly after the third stage was ignited, the vehicle commanded an engine shutdown due to an engine anomaly," NASA space station program manager Mike Suffredini told reporters today. "The vehicle impacted in the Altai region of the Russian Federation."

A video of the Progress cargo ship launch shows the vehicle soaring into a clear blue sky. It is the second launch failure within a week for Russia's space program.

Progress 44 was packed with about 2.9 tons of food, fuel and supplies for the space station, which is currently home to six astronauts representing the United States, Russia and Japan.

"At the time of launch, the space station was flying 230 miles over Equatorial Guinea on the west coast of Africa," NASA officials said.

Russia's Soyuz rockets and Progress spacecraft have long track record of reliability. They have been hauling cargo to the International Space Station since the first crew took up residence in 2001.

The Progress cargo ships resemble the country's three-module Soyuz capsules that carry cosmonauts and astronauts into orbit. However, Progress vehicles carry a fuel pod in place of a crew module in order to replenish the space station's supplies.

This is the second Russian spacecraft to be lost during launch in six days. On Aug. 18, the $300 million Russian communications satellites Express AM4 failed to reach the proper orbit after it blasted off atop a Proton rocket, a different model than the booster carrying Progress 44.

That satellite was later found drifting in the wrong orbit, according to Russian space officials.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Considering the Russians have been doing this longer than anyone else (54 years, come this October), I have to ask myself, why are these catastrophic failures still so common? Could it be they need a different model with fewer (and more robust) single points of failure?</div></div>

Man has also been sailing the oceans since time immemorial and we still lose over a hundred ships a year world wide. Nature is wild and brutal and we are still very much at its mercy.

Going into space is several orders of magnitude more difficult and we have, as a species, only been doing it for only 50 years. As such I find nothing out of the ordinary when things do not work as anticipated. In fact it is a testament to the skill and efforts of so many that so few things do go wrong in the space programs.

Just my 2 cents.

I hae an STS 107 mission patch I may sell (Columbia's final mission)...any die hards want it - PM me..

Branson's space port is slated to open Q1 of 2013. In two years, Virgin Galactic will be running a scheduled air service providing to tourists what NASA can't do for America's astronauts.

Nice pics. I never understood what the big deal was about a shuttle launch (how people come from all over the country to watch one) and then, by sure luck, I pulled into Daytona, FL off of I-95 to check into my hotel about 3 in the afternoon and saw this wicked thing with a flame and white smoke going across the sky. I quickly went into the hotel lobby and was about to tell the clerk and noticed a few people huddled around a TV watching the shuttle launch on Fox news live. It was truly awesome.