• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater End of Watch

Re: End of Watch

I agree. Just got back from it. It was a great movie, and sadly more than likely extremely accurate as to the level of cartel bullshit that goes on this country.

saw it also, pretty damn intense at times, went with an LE buddy of mine and we were laughing pretty good at the antics in the car while they were cruising, defenitely not a movie to watch with the wife but worth every penny to see in theater.

Best cop movie I've ever seen! Prob wont watch it again for a long time. Intense, stresssfull, and very emotional show.

A good cop movie???!!!

Very rare...

How does it compare to Heat?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Krav69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A good cop movie???!!!

Very rare...

How does it compare to Heat? </div></div>

i just got back from it. definitely worth seeing. it doesn't really have much in common with heat outside of the lapd aspect. they're both good in their own way. heat is a cat-and-mouse epic while end of watch is more of a thriller that focuses on the relationship between two patrolmen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chance</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best cop movie I've ever seen! Prob wont watch it again for a long time. Intense, stresssfull, and very emotional show. </div></div>

This. Exactly my take on it.

Saw this the other day. It is definitely worth the watch. Sadly I agree that the cartel activity is accurate.

Don't know that i'd consider Heat a cop movie, sure Al Pacino is a big part of the story, but it's still centered around De'Niro and his gang.

Anyhow considering the positive reviews from this movie i'm going to have to see it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">as long as its not "SWAT" all over again
</div></div>
compared to this one, "swat" is a waste of time.

I saw End of Watch on opening day. Good movie but not one that I would rewatch over and over. It will be added to my netflix queue for a second viewing

Blackhawk Down, Heat,Training Day, Braveheart, Die Hard are movies that I have watched over and over and over...

EOW is good as it does a great job showing the daily BS of the job.
It shows a good side of the police and how they are not out to kill anyone or eyerone

But I do not think I would watxh it more than twice

All I can say is that it is very good. It is very accurate. Since I patrol the hispanic side of town it hits very close to home.If you are an officer and you may not want to take your wife.

We saw it opening weekend. Good show and we both like it. We have both been through those funerals so it was a bit of a tough ending.

The ending was a great visual and emotional reminder why you ALWAYS call out your location!! Was very frustrated when the one cop was holding his shot partner wondering where everybody was and yelling out for help. I still remember my FTO making me make quick and seemingly random turns, then suddenly yelling for me to stop. As I screeched to a halt, he informed me that I was being shot at and demanded to know my location. I only gave him the blank face once, the ass chewing has always stuck with me. Be safe...

Good movie.Will not mind seeing it when it makes HBO or the other PPV channels

Have not seen it, the trailers made it look good. Planning to catch it on PPV or Blu-ray, looks like a keeper.

Delta

"It is a maxim of the Barbary States, that 'The Christians who would be on good terms with them must fight well or pay well.” hmmm....I think I'll with option A.

Not bad at all, but not a competitor for "best cop movie ever".

One thing that pissed me off was when they were in the cruiser and dispatch was giving calls out to patrol units, and the _____ers were fishing through skipping for calls they actually wanted to respond to. If that's how dispatch/police calls actually work, then the pigs just got a lot more worthless AFAIC.

Anybody know if cops get to pick and choose their responses like that, or was that just another stupid Hollywood moment?

KSwift,
It's actually true. Calls get "triaged" if you will once it comes through the 911 call taker and ultimately to the police dispatcher. High priority/in-progress calls are dispatched to a unit right away and low priority calls such burglaries, barking dog calls and such are put on the computer for officers to pick and choose. With that said, calls for service just don't sit there forever. Dispatchers in my experience will send the call out.
Not speaking for every jurisdiction but you have to account for manpower as well.
I suggest you do a ride along with your local PD to get a feel of what's going on.

But IMO to date, this is the best cop movie. The interaction in the patrol car is pretty legit.

KSwift,

It would also depend on if they were the primary unit or not. Secondary units may respond to calls by priority for backup. A primary unit taking a report for shoplifting doesn't have the priority need for backup as the officer responding to a domestic, armed robbery, etc.

I haven't seen the movie yet, so if I'm missing what happened on screen, disregard. Either way, us pigs answer every call we recieve.

Great movie. The end hit me hard. See the movie if you haven't yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great movie. The end hit me hard. See the movie if you haven't yet.</div></div>

Same here the end was hard to watch, especially the alleyway overall a really good movie though.

Great movie. Aside from the gunfights every other day, End Of Watch is an accurate depiction of the daily ins and outs of the job.

I especially liked the banter and ball busting between the two and the fact that this movie had zero to do with corruption or any other typical Hollywood nonsense.

Very realistic, the producers did their homework on this one.

I finally watched this one. I was pretty psyched up during the first 3/4's of the movie but the ending ruined the whole thing for me. I'm just not sure what was supposed to be accomplished with the final portion of the movie ending the way that it did! This movie contained a lot of small details that many movies ignore but that still does not make up for the ending.

Bought the Blu-Ray, hesitated to watch it after reading the criticisms here.

When I watched it, it reminded me of the rather broad divide between civilians and the men and women of Law Enforcement. Humans come in all shapes, sizes, and conditions of mental fuckitude.

It takes someone cut from a different cloth to actively seek to immerse themselves in that end of the gene pool.

It's not me, and if I can help it, not any of mine.

My respect for such folks is immense, but by the same token, what they experience is also the consequence of a voluntary act.

Greg

Pretty accurate depiction of partners and station life.Not so much on the gunfighting part.

Hated the ending. Cops funerals suck to go to.Been to too many Don't want to go to another

What I loved about this movie was the dialogue. You don't have to be a cop to know that when two people are hanging out all day, they are going to talk about some crude things and have some pretty stupid BS that is actually funny to them. Kind of an inside joke between two people who know each other well. The dialogue in Pulp Fiction is great, but not real. People just don't think on their feet that fast. This dialogue seemed very real, which also made it very intimate.

I also think they did a great job of showing how a criminal enterprise works. On the flip side, I think the villains were a little too overdone. No doubt there are dumb asses out there trying to make a name for themselves toting gold plated AK's. But I don't think they gave them a similar treatment. They just seemed fake and two dimensional.

I think Jake Gyllenhaal did an excellent job of portraying a cop who was smart but not polished struggling with personal decisions. I didn't love how they worked the ever present camera in. Nor does it make sense given the fact that they show footage of the villains. A poor choice to slip in a gimmicky device.

Overall, I agree with most everyone. A good movie that I wasn't anxious to rewatch. I don't understand that emotion either. It wasn't just that it was depressing. Reservoir Dogs had a depressing ending, but I wanted to watch that one again. Perhaps it is the fact that it was so depressing AND so real.

I've seen it three times now and it ranks up there as one of my favorite movies. Gyllenhaal and Pena are just brilliant together. What gets me is when Gyllenhaal breaks down after taking one to the chest it seems very real and that part is depressing. They end it on a lighter note though which was funny as you said carter it seemed genuine rather than scripted. This has to be one of my favorite scenes though about the coffee and Quinceañera lol. Is it just me or is Anna Kendricks exceptionally hot in this movie, she's gorgeous to me for some reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2OchGBcdIU

Last edited:
I've seen it three times now and it ranks up there as one of my favorite movies. Gyllenhaal and Pena are just brilliant together. What gets me is when Gyllenhaal breaks down after taking one to the chest it seems very real and that part is depressing. They end it on a lighter note though which was funny as you said carter it seemed genuine rather than scripted. This has to be one of my favorite scenes though about the coffee and Quinceañera lol. Is it just me or is Anna Kendricks exceptionally hot in this movie, she's gorgeous to me for some reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2OchGBcdIU

That scene is just a perfect example of how two real guys who spend all day with each other interact. Digging at each other. Joking about how sick they are of each other. It is so real it makes you realize how contrived Hollywood dialogue typically is. I hate to say it, but even the scene in Grand Torino where Clint Eastwood and his barber carry on, which is supposed to epitomize this male rough play, doesn't seem quite as on as this scene does. Pena is bored, so he comes up with an outlandish conversation starter that is somewhat self deprecating. Gyllenhaal dishes back at Pena. Pena makes fun himself again, then lays back into Gyllenhaal. I once drove 15 hours to Puerto Vallarta from Austin with two of my best friends, and that could be any one of the 15 million conversations we had along the way. It was all funny, but not particularly witty. You land a few punches, you take a few punches, and you laugh the whole time. I think this movie captured that better than almost any film I have seen.

They nailed the interaction between cops. I've ridden with guys that after 8 hours my face was sore from laughing.
Of course there's the days with the other guys, like the TO in the movie where you think..."Oh shit....I wonder if I have any comp time left."
Like everyone else said I was so glad there was no corruption or cops struggling with personal demons that we're all supposed to have.
If you're a cop I would recommend screening this one first before Mamma sees it.

i missed it while in theaters but just got it on blue ray and its friggin awesome, really sucks you in. hard to say its the best of anything but i would say its on par with the most popular