• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos End Result of 55gr Vmax 223 @ 640 Yards

peteyen86

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2010
Gippsland, Vic, Australia
Hey guys,
Just thought i would post this for anyone who is interested. Found this about 3" deep in loose clay behind my target today. Not much left in her at that distance. Target was at 640 Yards.

Re: End Result of 55gr Vmax 223 @ 640 Yards

I love searching behind my targets in the embankment to see if there are any keepers that look like that. Have started a collection of them to see what they all look like when mushroomed. Cool pic! Thanks!

Hey,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffhogue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what??? found it in the clay?? YOU MISSED!?!?!</div></div>

lol. Yeah missed quite a few times. Bit far for that round, with me sending it anyway. Any slight wind would push it off as expected. Still fun to try and the ones that did miss were actually not that far off. Waiting patiently for my 308 to be finished.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love searching behind my targets in the embankment to see if there are any keepers that look like that. Have started a collection of them to see what they all look like when mushroomed. Cool pic! Thanks!</div></div>

Haven’t bothered looking for them before but im glad i did. Shows how quickly they do mushroom after hitting something, even loose clay and only 3" into it.

Pete

Thats a nice find... the mushrooming isnt bad considering the light weight of the projectile, distance and velocity at 640 yards.

That would still leave quite a mark...

Need to find the round we recovered from shooting a .308 at 1400y. They looked perfect when we scooped from from the dirt right in front of the target.

Nice pic.

Looks like a pretty solid expansion even at lower velocities, nice!

Does it still weight 55gr?

Yeah i wouldn’t like to be on the other end of it still.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Breeze67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Does it still weight 55gr?

</div></div>

Nar, with all the forces that act on the bullet during flight, they get transferred into it, makes it about 20lb in weight with how you see it now, i thought every shooter would know that! Hurt my back lifting it out of the dirt.
shocked.gif
..lol

Pete