• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Enders game

My daughter (15) and I watch that movie from time to time. Very interesting concepts. I do think the producers took the whole "know your enemy" thing a bit to the extreme at the end, as Rerun7 alluded to. Otherwise it was still a good movie to watch and we like it.

The Ender's Universe, of which I have read nearly all. It would be beneficial to read Card's forward to Ender's Game. When Game was published in 1985, our Daughter was just entering High School. It provoked deep thought for me, and probably had some bearing on our attitudes toward her raising. I think she came out alright, and credit Game for some insights involved in that undertaking. We were also deeply involved as a family on Scouting through that period, and that had a lot more influence.

There's really a lot more in play here than just the ending of the first book. Whether one reads it as entertainment, or digs rather more deeply through reflection; it's all a very good read.

Unfortunately most folks lose interest somewhere in the second book. If that happens, just skip forward to the third.

Hang in, and be rewarded. I just downloaded Ender's World... Hopefully it will give some substance to the meaning.

Greg

Last edited:
That was published in 1985??? Wow. That ranks with Snowcrash as one of the books that really gave a portent of things to come.

I will read the books!

I'm not a really big Sci Fi Fan, but at this point, the book really raises my curiosity as futurist as well as historian....

Thanks, Greg!

Cheers,

Sirhr

When i first saw the previews, i wasnt at all interested. Couple of years later, i decided to watch it since i was bore with nothing to watch. Surprising enough, it was such a great movie.

Yes, the books are incredible. The movie was ok, got me into the book. The 4 part series that has directly to do with Ender are fascinating and involve, Psychology, Sociology, Spirituality and just cool story telling. I really enjoyed them, they are the kind of books that get your mind going and it's hard to turn off. Will make you think for sure.

My favorite character in Ender is Col Graff. Committed, yet detached; trusting his influence to carry Ender through the challenges unaided. I see some of that in myself, but not like he has.

There is some embodiment in the catchphrase, "They're young, they'll get over it...".

Greg

Last edited:
Great book. If you listen to the book on tape (CD), it has an interview with Card at the end where he talks about all the challenges of getting the movie made. Hollywood wanted Ender to be 16 with a love interest. Tolkien, Crais, and Childs are the only other authors whose books get re-read as often.

Though probably OT for this thread, some insight into Tolkien, et. al. ...

Not for nuthin'..., I wonder what could be the outcome of a writer's forum here on The 'Hide...

Probably so far OT as to be off the planet completely...

Last edited:
Greg,
i second your recomendation to read them all. Mr. Card has very good understanding of the existance of creatures in this existance. Its curious you identify with Col Gaff.
The movie just struggles to go through all the concepts of the book in one outing. Probably been better to make at least 2 if not more from the first one to make the story come to. Either way if it opens the thought pattern of an individual to explore further, so much the better.

I identify with Graff from my 40+ years as a Scouting Leader (who had no Sons, but ended up with scores of them) who used the basic program as a foundation, then further developed the unit structure so the youth leadership did just about everything 'leadership' oriented; besides dealing with the parents and outside adults. At the time, I was the District Adult Leadership Training Chairman, and I figured out early that the training had as much applicability to the youth leaders as it did to the adult leaders. Somewhere in all of that, I ended up taking Wood Badge Adult Leadership Training myself.

My job was to authorize, enable, oversee, and also to handle the admin tasks. All program planning, decisions, and execution was done by the boys, and after some time, the girls, too. Every group activity was treated as a mission, with a complete debrief afterward.

I bailed for the same reasons the LDS just recently bailed, I just got there a little sooner.

I would train one boy in each skill, then send any others wanting to know how to him. When his first task would always be to train his replacement, so he could get some free time once in awhile himself.

My own youth was as part of a 1960's High Adventure Explorer Post whose exploits made the pages of Boys' Life usually one each year (Post 18, Newark, NJ). Then and up until just a small handful of years ago, always years ahead of our times.

I decided to return to Scouting after the Marine Corps and Vietnam; after witnessing the aftermath of putting untrained, inexperienced young men into positions of combat leadership. I decided there had to be a better way to develop young leadership before the wages of first errors cost young men their lives, and that Scouting was a very convenient basis upon which to flesh out that viewpoint. I think I got that exactly right. Nothing I have ever done, or will ever do here can ever top that.

Greg

Last edited: