• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Enfields!

Re: Enfields!

Here is a picture of my 1917 Winchester made enfield that I was given as a kid. Later this year it is going to be sent off to my smith to have him build it into a 416 Rigby with express leaf sights and thrown into a nice stock. I will update with completed pics when I get it back.

DSC_0450.jpg

Just got another one in, this morning.

1943 Savage No.4 Mk.I*. Rifle is completely original/matching. Even has a Savage bayonet with it. Some patina and storage dings, but the bore and crown are virtually like new.

1943SavageEnfield004.jpg

1943SavageEnfield005.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette

Looks very sweet John. Congrats!!

Updated pic of my BSA '61 L1A1 now with period correct furniture:

L1A1Wood2003.jpg

L1A1Wood2002.jpg

If they had Wood and Plastic in Rock, Paper,Scissors....I know which would win in my book
wink.gif

Hi
I am looking for a new barrel for my 1942 savage, can anybody help with a place to buy one.

Can anyone help me with the history of this. Don't get hopes up, i know its a T but whoever had this before me royally destroyed it and sporterized it.

Enfield2 by Ruben Zamora, on Flickr

You can see on the bottom of this one it has a TR which I assumed meant Telescoped Rifle.

Enfield1 by Ruben Zamora, on Flickr

Ruben...what you have there is what is left of a rifle made by BSA in Shirley, Birmingham (M47C is their manufacturer code) in 1944. The BSA rifles I have also have their serial numbers prefixed with "B" as does yours.

The "T" marking on the action was added at Holland and Holland by Enfield's inspectors as the last stage of the conversion process.

The "TR" marking on the butt socket band (added before conversion) show the rifle had been selected for conversion to T spec following satisfactory performance in accuracy test.

Edited...but the presence of the "TR" marking didn't always guarantee rifles would make it through to conversion. H&H did reject a fair number before the process began.

If you want to understand a little of what the Holland & Holland connection means, just have a look at their website or research the company's history. They were the pinnacle of the bespoke UK guntrade in their day....probably still up there in terms of custom built sporting rifles today.

Would anyone pay top money for a GAP or something similar today and then go home and take a hacksaw and dremel to it?

I know that perhaps these old rifles were not as valued in the past as they are now...but, even so, seeing an historic rifle (action??) in such a sorry state thanks to Bubba deciding to "sporterize" it really pisses me off!
mad.gif
I just hope they didn't do anything else to wreck what they left??

I hope you can return it to something approaching it's former glory - that would be a worthwhile project (finances and the state of the remaining parts allowing)!

Old fart's rant over!!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ruben...what you have there is what is left of a rifle made by BSA in Shirley, Birmingham (M47C is their manufacturer code) in 1944. The BSA rifles I have also have their serial numbers prefixed with "B" as does yours.

The "T" marking on the action was added at Holland and Holland by Enfield's inspectors as the last stage of the conversion process.

The "TR" marking on the butt socket band (added before conversion) show the rifle had been selected for conversion to T spec following satisfactory performance in accuracy tests.

If you want to understand a little of what the Holland & Holland connection means, just have a look at their website or research the company's history. They were the pinnacle of the bespoke UK guntrade in their day....probably still up there in terms of custom built sporting rifles today.

Would anyone pay top money for a GAP or something similar today and then go home and take a hacksaw and dremel to it?

I know that perhaps these old rifles were not as valued in the past as they are now...but, even so, seeing an historic rifle (action??) in such a sorry state thanks to Bubba deciding to "sporterize" it really pisses me off!
mad.gif
I just hope they didn't do anything else to wreck what they left??

I hope you can return it to something approaching it's former glory - that would be a worthwhile project (finances and the state of the remaining parts allowing)!

Old fart's rant over!!
wink.gif
</div></div>

Basra ,..do you know anyone in the UK that might still have the odd late manufacture No4 still in the grease/unfired?? I am contemplating a ground up build of a repro 4T. Have already been fortunate enought to have been donated a 32MK3 scope, now just need a really nice rifle to start on!

Now. That is just beautiful!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks very sweet John. Congrats!!

Updated pic of my BSA '61 L1A1 now with period correct furniture:

L1A1Wood2003.jpg

L1A1Wood2002.jpg

If they had Wood and Plastic in Rock, Paper,Scissors....I know which would win in my book
wink.gif
</div></div>

Basra,

I doubt it can be salvaged. The Barrel was shortened and recrowned. The Action was tapped on top to take a standard scope base. And I have none of the original stock pieces. Thats pretty much it. The sad thing is all the serials match, bolt, actoin, etc. I do have a Jungle Carbine that is untouched except for the fact that it has no stock on it. I'd like to find a stock for that one of these days.

A fine rifle indeed Basra, just the ticket for sorting out most problems that one can be confronted with !

PS - put that rear sight back to 200 less some old cranky NCO gives you what for :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NiceDay2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you guys headspace check or any other check before firing an old gun such as an enfield? </div></div>

Personally I would not get involved with any gun that has not had headspace checked and passed.

However, Enfields have removable bolt heads so correcting problems can be a little easier than some other vintage rifles provided you can find the right sized replacement bolt heads
wink.gif

Better than either having to find a complete new bolt that headspaces correctly (a bit like winning the lottery!!).....or having to reset the barrel and rechamber.

I have a really nice one that looks like a N4 Mk2, but neither myself, nor the local gunsmith are able to find any marks on the rifle identifying it's maker. We have checked the receiver, where the receiver lies inside the stock, barrel, around the metallic wrist of the rifle, and still can't find any marks showing a maker, model number, type or any other marks. Is this unusual?

We have also used a magnifying glass in hopes that the marks would just be very light, but still can't locate any marks.

The rifle shoots quite well, and I'm quite happy with it, but would like to know more about it if anyone could give me hints on how to find out more.

Before anyone asks, I do not have the capability to load photos.

The .303's now at the local smith getting scoped up and the barrels getting recrowned too. Also just put it in a sporter stock. Hope she's a shooter when its all done. I'll chuck some photos up when she back.

Hope this worked. It's a lithgow no1 mk3 1942- chopped to 22", synthetic stock, kudu services scope base, Leupold vx1 4x12. We'll be finding out how she shoots on Saturday morning.

Also I had to sniper up the cheek weld a bit. Gotta love duct tape!!! &#128515;

Here are some pics of a L39A1 that I just picked up. Did some load development yesterday, (155 Scenar, N140, 210M, prepped LC brass, 2670 fps at 90 degrees F) and you can see the two different groups at 200 yards. The better group on the left had a flyer due to a gust of wind-was trying to complete the 10-shot group before the storm moved in. Height of that group was 1.82", width 2.82" for 10, 1.51 for 9. Enjoy!
L39-1.jpg

L39-2.jpg

L39-3.jpg

L39-4.jpg

L39-5.jpg

L39-6.jpg