• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Enfields!

Re: Enfields!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RemmyMaxhit - nice job....my '44 LB is also all matching numbers including mag and the woodwork.

Hope it shoots as well as it looks.

But to keep it looking "pretty"....you need to put your sling on the right way round or pretty quickly the ends of the brass buckles will dent aned scratch your woodwork. </div></div>

Hey BasraBoy, thanks, we will find out next week about how she shoots. There was a fellow on milsurps who had the sling the the other way and they told him the metal face of the bracket would gouge the wood and digging into your shoulder, so keep the metal facing away from the wood, but that does not seem to be the way most people mount the sling. Either way is going to cause potential contact, but I think you right, flipping it around seems more correct.

I know what you mean....I think the "proper way round" is actually designed to make it more comfortable when the rifle is slung...otherwise the points of the buckle dig into your shoulder.

Ok I'll bite.

Here is my No1 Mk3* built by Lithgow, in Lithgow in 1942.

Matching 1942 Lithgow bayonet. The old girl needs a sight replacement as she shoots low despite having the correct range setting on the rear sight.

Here is a picture of it broken down.

No1Mk3BrokenDown.jpg

Me holding the old girl with the bayonet fixed.

No1Mk3.jpg

Got to say as an Australian, every Australian should own a Lee Enfield in .303. It truly is an iconic gun with a huge sentimental value to the nation.

Rod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rodnoneous</div><div class="ubbcode-body">......every Australian should own a Lee Enfield in .303.....</div></div>

That, my friend, is a statistical impossibility. Only a lucky few are so able.

I just shot ours yesterday for the first time since 1946 ('42 Savage with '46 postwar service and cosomline job at 2.B.W.S) and wow, im really impressed with it. Even with my meager skills, I was able to ring the bell 8/10 times at 100 yds offhand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RemmyMaxhit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rodnoneous</div><div class="ubbcode-body">......every Australian should own a Lee Enfield in .303.....</div></div>

That, my friend, is a statistical impossibility. Only a lucky few are so able.

I just shot ours yesterday for the first time since 1946 ('42 Savage with '46 postwar service and cosomline job at 2.B.W.S) and wow, im really impressed with it. Even with my meager skills, I was able to ring the bell 8/10 times at 100 yds offhand. </div></div>

You are right due to our anti-gun government and brainwashed population. There is no CMP program for these old guns in Australia but there should be.

Not to mention there was only 17,000,000 made and the populous is around 22,000,000. Such is life I suppose!

Updated family pic with the latest addition:

Enfields.jpg

- 1915 LSA SMLE MkIII (all matching and original, including woodwork and volley sights) .303
- 1944 LB No4 Mk1* (all matching and original including woodwork, converted to T spec by TVG, UK) with '44 dated No32 MK3 scope by Cooke,Troughton & Simms .303

And the new arrival:

- 1961 BSA L1A1 (horrid late spec plastic furniture to be replaced!!) 7.62mm

Still on the lookout for a really good No5 Carbine!

And no point havng an Enfield of any age without a nasty, pointed piece of steel to hang off the dangerous end
wink.gif
:

Enfields003.jpg

Top to bottom:

- 1888 Pattern (manufactured by Wilkinson, London)
- 1907 Pattern (manufactured 8/10 by Sanderson, Indian markings)
- 1907 Pattern (manufactured 5/15 by Wilkinson, London)
- 1907 Pattern (manufactured 7/15 by Wilkinson)
- 1907 Pattern (manufactured 10/44 by Lithgow)
- No4 MkII ED1066
- No 7 Mk1/L
- L1A3 (manufactured by BSA, Birmingham)

Still searching for that 1907 with Quillion.....

Anyone ever pick up or work with one of the Indian Ishapore Enfields chambered in .308?

I've seen a bunch at some of the shows and am wondering if it is worth my time to spend providing the required TLC to get it up to speed. They look like they've been painted black instead of a heavy coating of cosmoline.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Updated family pic with the latest addition:

Enfields.jpg

- 1915 LSA SMLE MkIII (all matching and original, including woodwork and volley sights) .303
- 1944 LB No4 Mk1* (all matching and original including woodwork, converted to T spec by TVG, UK) with '44 dated No32 MK3 scope by Cooke,Troughton & Simms .303

And the new arrival:

Still on the lookout for a really good No5 Carbine!

And no point havng an Enfield of any age without a nasty, pointed piece of steel to hang off the dangerous end
wink.gif
:

Enfields003.jpg

Top to bottom:

- 1888 Pattern (manufactured by Wilkinson, London)
- 1907 Pattern (manufactured 8/10 by Sanderson, Indian markings)
- 1907 Pattern (manufactured 5/15 by Wilkinson, London)
- 1907 Pattern (manufactured 7/15 by Wilkinson)
- 1907 Pattern (manufactured 10/44 by Lithgow)
- No4 MkII ED1066
- No 7 Mk1/L
- L1A3 (manufactured by BSA, Birmingham)

Still searching for that 1907 with Quillion.....</div></div>

I like your guns Basra, Especially the one at the bottom. That's the "werewolf killer"
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattyfire290</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone ever pick up or work with one of the Indian Ishapore Enfields chambered in .308?

I've seen a bunch at some of the shows and am wondering if it is worth my time to spend providing the required TLC to get it up to speed. They look like they've been painted black instead of a heavy coating of cosmoline. </div></div>See my post at the top of the page.

Certainly worth it, in my opinion and they seem to be going up in price, as more people are hunting for them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattyfire290</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone ever pick up or work with one of the Indian Ishapore Enfields chambered in .308?

I've seen a bunch at some of the shows and am wondering if it is worth my time to spend providing the required TLC to get it up to speed. They look like they've been painted black instead of a heavy coating of cosmoline. </div></div>See my post at the top of the page.

Certainly worth it, in my opinion and they seem to be going up in price, as more people are hunting for them.</div></div>

I would say yes they are worth getting. Just be sure you don't pay too much for one. These range from the extremely rare 'mint' to most of them used and abused.

Sometimes sellers get it into buyers heads that "these (this particular model/maker) are just about all dried up". We've seen this recently with Savage 99's and Yugolavian Mausers. Yugo's used to be the cheapest easiest way to get a Mauser action to customize on. It happened 20 years ago with standard Argentino 1909's. They are definitely less rare than the Cavalry Carbine version, but sell for three times as much.

So, put it perspective when you look at surplus. You can pay a bit more for a very good condition piece. Just don't get sucked in on a "I gotta have one".

Just a head's up. I'm selling my matching numbers (rifle, bolt, magazine) Enfield No4 Mk2. It's a good solid shooter and date marked 2/54. I'll try to get a proper advert up in the next few days.

Here's the Link

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Enfields.jpg

And the new arrival:

....</div></div>

I like your guns Basra, Especially the one at the bottom. That's the "werewolf killer"
wink.gif
</div></div>

Sand, thanks mate....you know, of all my rifles (including the AW and GAP) the fastest, smoothest action by a very long way is the 1915 LSA SMLE. 97 years old but head and shoulders better than the rest!

Heres my one and only.

Started as a No4 mk2. Converted to a modern "delisle style" rifle by Special interest Arms.
296518_10150273771236723_514491722_8278004_653681_n.jpg

298815_10150273770906723_514491722_8277996_7039412_n.jpg

300302_10150273779416723_514491722_8278096_2155524_n.jpg

309873_10150273770486723_514491722_8277986_872060_n.jpg

Some new baffling we made for it... worked alot better than the M baffles.

303223_10150301074041723_514491722_8440080_370584286_n.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.45 ACP? Looks like a 1911 mag... </div></div>Yep. Google "Delisle Enfield". A cool weapon in it's day.

I'm not usually one for conversions, but that's frickin' awesome!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B-B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heres my one and only.

Started as a No4 mk2. Converted to a modern "delisle style" rifle by Special interest Arms.
</div></div>

That is effing cool. Do you run regular and subsonic ammo?

Here's mine in Australia:
Rule303inTojo.jpg

088_88.jpg

OnTheFrontier.jpg

DSCF0692.jpg

It went Everywhere with me out there!

This is another one i used in Australia, it was fitted with a Lithgow Heavy barrel, same as the Lithgow SMLE H T sniper rifle:

DSCF0394.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nick Simmons</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's mine in Australia:
Rule303inTojo.jpg

088_88.jpg

OnTheFrontier.jpg

DSCF0692.jpg

It went Everywhere with me out there!

This is another one i used in Australia, it was fitted with a Lithgow Heavy barrel, same as the Lithgow SMLE H T sniper rifle:

DSCF0394.jpg

</div></div>

Nice pics Nick,

Were down there hunting or working? I love the dog too. Lotsa Australian sheperds or cowdogs, and Queensland heelers (blue and red), here in the states with a ride set-up just like that. Don't make the mistake of being a stranger and getting into 'his' truck....lol

I could never figure out why people hack up an Enfield. They are not particularly heavy, they at least for me handle very nicely, point quite naturally and look darn good in their full military glory. My No.4 was a nightmare when I first got it.
Having said all that the above delisle conversion does look interesting.

Thanks mate,

An old family friend owns two cattle stations in Queensland, been down there 3 times now and worked with him cattle mustering, fencing and the like. Having old Rule .303 with me all the time meant that wherever we were on the ground if a chance at a roo for the dogs or a mob of pigs was spotted we could go have some fun as wel!

Twig the wonder dog was only a pup at the time, she's gone on to be a good worker and relishes chasing pigs, a trait that i like to think i encouraged in her!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remoah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats gotta be one of the few enfields i've seen out bush that hasn't had the living shit bubba'd out of it. </div></div>

I know what you mean mate, when I'm down there i sort of become the SMLE Bush doctor and I've seen some horrors come in for mild repairs from the neighbouring stations! Never ceased to amaze me how they just kept working despite some of the mishaps that went through.

Headspace, broken stocks and busted sights were the common things i had to sort out. Used to stock up on spares at the Brisbane gun show. Brian Labudda came in handy!

Great pics, Nick. Thanks for sharing. Aus is a great place and it looks like you really got the full-on experience on your family's land!

It's amazing what the SMLE can soak up and still keep working!

the Arms and Militaria fairs down here are absolutley brilliant. You can find practically anything and everything you need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holy cow, that is cool! Is that an intergrated suppressor? How much does one of those puppies run? </div></div>

The suppressor is integral. I metered it with our B&K 2209 when I got it and wasnt really impressed initially. We laser cut the aluminum plate baffles for it and dropped the signature an additional few DB's using some of those and some M baffles.

All in all the project was worth it. Total cost on the supplied rifle for the build was I belive 1200. Totally worth it in my opinion.

I shoot pretty much anything through this as most 45acp is subsonic inherently. However lately I've worked up a nice 210grain load that I zero'd at 50 yards and use 10 mils of hold over with at 150 yards.

Its accurate to still smack a prairie dog at that range.

Pardon the sirens in the backround... the secondary snapping is the bullet impacts at my zero range (50 yards)
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G8gf29S9sbY&feature=player_detailpage"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G8gf29S9sbY&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

You know I gotta wonder about the delisle and if you converted one to .300 blackout. All kinds of rifles that size have done it, but it would be cool to have a "Delisle style" Enfield in .300 Blackout.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know I gotta wonder about the delisle and if you converted one to .300 blackout. All kinds of rifles that size have done it, but it would be cool to have a "Delisle style" Enfield in .300 Blackout. </div></div>

The main allure to the 45acp is the 1911 magazines and cheap subsonic ammo.

I think it would be cool to have one in 300blk but there are better ways to build those i think like 700Sa's with DBM. Although maybe you could make a mag adapter to take 20round AR mags for a 300blk conversion on an enfield.

But yeah, it would be cool im sure.

Did some one say Enfield? My favorite mil-surp. I ran across 600rds of 1960 RG yesterday, cheap, my lucky day. I well do even more mil-surp shots this year.

Part of my meager accumulation.
collection01.jpg

collectiom02.jpg

Early Savage with standard bolt release and early cocking piece.
no4sav01.jpg

How to save a cut down sporter and have more fun at the same time. This 'tanker' is a hoot to shoot, wonderful muzzle blast and flash.
Tanker10.jpg

Out of the group this old Faz is one of the better shooters.
K25faz2.jpg

The 44 BSA (T) is getting a workout at the mil-surp shoots. I had Warren Wheatfield go through the Mo32 scope two years ago. Best money I ever spent.
finished01.jpg

Latest addition is the Long Branch 1/3. Faz replaced every part but the receiver on this rifle. This rifle went to India after FTR, appears to have remained in storage untill imported to US, appears unfired since FTR, it is basicly a new rifle.
pix349505952.jpg

pix408438171.jpg

pix635524100.jpg

pix623850364.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette

Impressive!!! Thanks for sharing!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madcratebuilder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did some one say Enfield? My favorite mil-surp. I ran across 600rds of 1960 RG yesterday, cheap, my lucky day. I well do even more mil-surp shots this year.

Part of my meager accumulation.
collection01.jpg

collectiom02.jpg

Early Savage with standard bolt release and early cocking piece.
no4sav01.jpg

How to save a cut down sporter and have more fun at the same time. This 'tanker' is a hoot to shoot, wonderful muzzle blast and flash.
Tanker10.jpg

Out of the group this old Faz is one of the better shooters.
K25faz2.jpg

The 44 BSA (T) is getting a workout at the mil-surp shoots. I had Warren Wheatfield go through the Mo32 scope two years ago. Best money I ever spent.
finished01.jpg

Latest addition is the Long Branch 1/3. Faz replaced every part but the receiver on this rifle. This rifle went to India after FTR, appears to have remained in storage untill imported to US, appears unfired since FTR, it is basicly a new rifle.
pix349505952.jpg

pix408438171.jpg

pix635524100.jpg

pix623850364.jpg

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madcratebuilder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ran into the 'twins' about five years apart, never thought about sequential serial numbers on a mil-surp before.
twins01.jpg

</div></div>

Great collection!

And...twins....what's the chances of that happening?? Go buy a lottery ticket - you've got the touch!!

Neat thread indeed. I met a RM ColorSgt in the '80s who said they used DeLisle's in the Falklands.
May have to use them again soon...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great pics, Nick. Thanks for sharing. Aus is a great place and it looks like you really got the full-on experience on your family's land!

It's amazing what the SMLE can soak up and still keep working! </div></div>

Certainly were some of the best times of my life mate! She's still down there waiting for me, ever faithful. If only women were as reliable!
wink.gif

Where in dearest Blighty do you hail from old bean?

I have a 1944 BSA (Shirley) (T)- nice rifle - some of you are ardent collectors!!

did the searches and came up with nothing. My google-fu must be weak.

I need the action thread specs for a .303 Enfield No.4 Mk2 rifle if anyone knows it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">did the searches and came up with nothing. My google-fu must be weak.

I need the action thread specs for a .303 Enfield No.4 Mk2 rifle if anyone knows it.
</div></div>

PM inbound

update:

Took our '42 Savage mk1* out to a different range that goes out to 600 yds. My buddy and I were both able to hit the steel small game sized silhouettes about 70% of the time at that range with the iron sights. Pretty amazing stuff!

The Enfield is his new favorite vintage battle rifle! Knowing him, he is probably looking for one to add to his collection now!

24wes6t.jpg

Yes, we flipped the sling back the right way before going to the range!
wink.gif

My first (and only for now) Enfield

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

I just picked this up a couple days ago. I traded a Steyr M9A1 straight across for the rifle, magazine, bayonet, sling and 90 rounds of new ammo. I know he got the best of me financially but I just had to have this rifle. The instant I picked it up I knew it was mine. I plan to start shooting in the local CMP high power shoots and needed an irons only long gun. I think this fits the bill just fine.

This is after a bit of cleaning. I wish I had taken a "before" picture! I saw this as a diamond in the rough, but I didn't expect to have to clean several layers of cold bluing off of every piece of steel on this stick!

I started stripping it down and sprayed the trigger mech. with carb cleaner and the tar started running! I slapped it back together for the pics when I realized that I'm going to have to completely disassemble it for a thorough cleaning and Eezox treatment.

All of the numbers/markings were completely hidden by the thick layer of cold bluing that was applied. After cleaning the markings were visible. Most of the parts that are marked are marked"B"(Birmingham Small Arms Co. Ltd) This includes the barrel, receiver, rear sight assy., bottom metal/trigger guard and front stock band. The middle stock band is marked "SNA"(possibly Savage?) but the A has no cross bar.

The serial nos. for the receiver and barrel do not match.

I am glad that I took the time to tear this down and clean the gunk off as it was covering a good bit of rust.

I've got her all cleaned up and rubbed the wood down with boiled linseed oil. I'll get it back together and get some better pics after the stocks dry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: luvmy40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....All of the numbers/markings were completely hidden by the thick layer of cold bluing that was applied. .....</div></div>

She is looking good! Are you sure that was cold bluing on it? Bluing (even cold bluing) should not add layers, it's really an electrochemical process.

Im not familiar with Eezox, but apparently it's a lubricant. Will it provide long term corrosion resistance on the level of bluing / parkerizing / phosphating treatment?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RemmyMaxhit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">She is looking good! Are you sure that was cold bluing on it? Bluing (even cold bluing) should not add layers, it's really an electrochemical process.

Im not familiar with Eezox, but apparently it's a lubricant. Will it provide long term corrosion resistance on the level of bluing / parkerizing / phosphating treatment?
</div></div>

No, I'm not sure what it was. All I know is that It was a black coating that was tacky to the touch and thick enough to obscure most of the stampings. It washed right off with carburetor cleaner or Eezox. The carb cleaner is a bout 1/10 the cost of Eezox so I use it to hose out the hard to reach areas and, in this case the really nasty gunk.

Eezox is a cleaner/lubricant/protectant that I discovered about 5 years ago. It's a great cleaner and, if you follow the directions a good lubricant. I am sure that it is not a better coating than parkerizing but it can enhance the protection of any other process as it (supposedly) bonds with the metal on a molecular level and displaces moisture.

I have seen several independent(IE done by other gun nuts) tests that gave Eezox high marks in the rust/corrosion protection area. There are several other products that make similar claims and I cannot nay-say any of them but I have had good personal experience with Eezox. I do not buy into running my ARs dry with it however and I do apply a bit of synthetic grease to the rails of my 1911s even though I treat every one of my rifles and pistols with Eezox.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: luvmy40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....It was a black coating that was tacky to the touch and thick enough to obscure most of the stampings. It washed right off with carburetor cleaner or Eezox....</div></div>

It was Cosmolene. That's what they used back in the day. Ask me how I know!
smile.gif
I had it all over mine from when it was serviced and put away in 1946. Cleaned it out just a few months ago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmoline

That Eezox stuff sounds good, but id also consider going over the finish with some sort of real protective process for longevity once the cosmolene is gone.

Let us know how she shoots

Cheers!

I know some of you will hate me for this, and that's ok. I picked up an Ishapore (308) I will be having it turned in to a 260 rem. The rear butt stock will be from an XLR chassis. It will be a folding stock as well (barrel is not installed... just mocked up for pic...)

026.jpg

025.jpg

It better shoot!

Reactions: camocorvette

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: landcbeitner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know some of you will hate me for this....</div></div>

No hate… and thanks for sharing. I always like to keep in mind that this is a hobby (at least for me), so as long as you are safe and compliant, have fun and enjoy. Enfields are not so rare that anyone should really get their panties in a twist.