• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Engraving SBR

Jig Stick

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
There is so much conflicting info that Im finding regarding engraving of an SBR registered via a trust. Can anyone help me with some clarification? I have a Bushmaster stripped lower that I want to register as an SBR via my trust.

1: Does the engraving have to go on the lower receiver? Or can I put it on the barrel or upper assembly?

2: the name of my trust is listed on the trust document as "THE NFA TRUST" with my initials between THE and NFA. Can I just engrave "(my initials) NFA TRUST", or do I also have to engrave "THE" that is listed in front?

What a hassle.

Jig

I did NOT go the trust route, but I would think the engraving needs to be on the lower since that is what is registered. As far as the name, I would engrave "The" just so everything is the same as whats on paper. Just my .02

Engraving MUST go on lower receiver; that is the registered/serialized part of your firearm being documented on your Form 1.

Regarding the engraving, I understand it must match what is submitted on your form. If your Form 1 says "The Jig Stick NFA Trust", your receiver engraving must say the same. I'm individual, not trust, but asked the same "initials" question for my SBR build and was told on the ATF hotline that is must be complete name as printed on Form 1.

Matt

I talked to the NFA before I did mine and they were very helpful. The trust name & location goes on the lower at least .004 deep, my local machine shop did it for $25 once I had the paper work approved. I painted with Krylon...looks like new.

Contact Ident Marking, they have done some for me and they look awesome! They can also advise on what engravings are needed/required.

Here is their site: Home

#1: Always has to be on the registered portion, in the case of an AR-15 that would be your lower reciever.

#2: No longer are the abbreviations acceptable. Sure, this could all change on a whim, but this is what is current practice according to ATF. I actually had a Form 1 rejected in 2013 for not including the entire legal name of the trust. I got back a letter stating the the entire trust name must be engraved and that abbreviations are not acceptable.

I have access to an engraver, and can do it myself. I just need to know where and what.

Trust name and location on the side on the lower that is blank. Usually the opposite side of the magwell from where the mfg stamps their name, serial number, location, etc. The law states your engraving must be "conspicuously placed" on the portion of the frame or receiver where the serial number is with letters "no smaller than 1/16 inch and a minimum depth of .003 inch".

Do some research, read the law, go learn, the NFA is helpful.

If you do a Form 1, (yourself) there is no need to engrave before you receive approval. If you go through a class 7 dealer, they will need to hold the lower until it is approved.

You may wish to consider Orion Arms. They engraved my lower. Very nice people to deal with and an exceptionally neat job.

As an aside, unless you are very good at engraving, why take a chance on marring your lower? Also, if I recall correctly BATF regs require that the engraving be no less than a certain specified depth.

Just my 2 cents.

Joe

P.S. Do yourself a favor and check out Orion Arms website. There is some good info as relates to location, font size, etc.

Last edited:
You can engrave on barrel if you want to

Firearms Verification Overview

Marking Requirements

Licensed Importer – 18 U.S.C. § 923(i) and 27 CFR § 478.92, 26 U.S.C. § 5842 and 27 CFR § 479.102

Serial Number
Must be conspicuously engraved, cast or stamped (impressed) on the firearm frame or receiver
The serial number cannot duplicate the serial number appearing on any other firearm the importer previously imported
For firearms imported after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch
Name of Manufacturer
Must be conspicuously engraved, cast or stamped (impressed) on the firearm frame, receiver, barrel or slide
For firearms imported after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch
Country of Origin
Must be conspicuously engraved, cast or stamped (impressed) on the firearm frame, receiver, barrel or slide
For firearms imported after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting or stamping (impressing) of the country of origin must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch
Model Designation (if assigned)
For firearms imported after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting or stamping (impressing) of the model designation must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch
Caliber or Guage
For firearms imported after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting or stamping (impressing) of the caliber or gauge must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch
Name of Importer
For firearms imported after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting or stamping (impressing) of the importer’s name must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch
City & State of the Importer
For firearms imported after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting or stamping (impressing) of the importer’s city and state must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch
Note: The importer must ensure that these marks of identification appear on each firearm. If the manufacturer did not mark them, the importer must place the required markings on the firearm within 15 days after their release from Customs and Border Protection custody. The Director, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives may authorize other means of firearms identification upon receipt of a letter application from the importer, submitted in duplicate, showing that such other means of identification is reasonable and will not hinder the effective administration of the regulations.

Identific

I think you could engraved the barrel or whatever if you really wanted to, but on an AR, it really makes more sense to engrave the receiver to allow quick replacement of the upper for different calibers, barrel lengths, etc.

I think you could engraved the barrel or whatever if you really wanted to, but on an AR, it really makes more sense to engrave the receiver to allow quick replacement of the upper for different calibers, barrel lengths, etc.

The frame/serialed number part must be engraved, a barrel would not work. In the case of a AR, must be the lower.

Check the post above mine, according to that bit of the code, frame, barrel, slide, or receiver can be engraved. I agree it makes sense to engrave the serialized part, but it doesn't seem to be required. For example if you wanted to put a buttstock on a Glock, you could engrave the metal slide rather than the polymer frame.

Last edited:
What you put in section 4g. of your ATF Form 1 must be on the frame/receiver.
What you put in section 3b. of your ATF Form 1 can be on the barrel.

Last edited:
Check the post above mine, according to that bit of the code, frame, barrel, slide, or receiver can be engraved. I agree it makes sense to engrave the serialized part, but it doesn't seem to be required. For example if you wanted to put a buttstock on a Glock, you could engrave the metal slide rather than the polymer frame.

That is not correct, in the case of an AR it absolutely cannot be the barrel, it must be on the actual receiver. The only portion of an AR-15 that is considered a firearm is the lower receiver. On a firearm that is not as easy to disassemble and swap around sure, this could be considered acceptable, but not in the case of an AR-15.

BATFE Engraving Requirements for Short-Barreled Rifle or Shotgun (SBS/SBR)
March 18, 2010
Posted In: ATF / BATFE , FAQ's , Form 1 - 5320.1 Manufacture , Short-Barreled Rifles (SBRs) , Short-Barreled Shotguns (SBSs) , Title II Weapons
By David M. Goldman on March 18, 2010 8:27 PM | Permalink
Publication
ATF 5300.4 in 27 CFR 479.102 (page 92) describes what is necessary to engrave on a SBR or SBS when one is manufacturing. This is not necessary if you purchase one that is already manufactured as it will have been done for you.
1) On the Frame or Receiver the Serial number;
2) on the frame, receiver, or barrel the following additional information;
A)The model;
B)The caliber or gage;
C)Your name or name of the Trust in the case of a Trust (no abbreviations are permitted for the Trust name);
D)The city and state (you can abbreviate the state with the official 2 digit state code)
The above mentioned information must be engraved, casted, stamped (impressing) or otherwise conspicuously placed or caused to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size of the Serial number shall be no smaller than 1/16 inch.
Categories:
ATF / BATFE,
FAQ's,
Form 1 - 5320.1 Manufacture,
Short-Barreled Rifles (SBRs),
Short-Barreled Shotguns (SBSs),
Title II Weapons
Posted by David M. Goldman | Permalink | Email This Post
Posted In: ATF / BATFE , FAQ's , Form 1 - 5320.1 Manufacture , Short-Barreled Rifles (SBRs) , Short-Barreled Shotguns (SBSs) , Title II Weapons

I actually have a lower boxed up and shipping out to ident today. They seem to be easy to work with an reasonable on the price.

Yes you have to get it done and on an AR it has to be on the lower.

That is if you're "making" an sbr out of something else (ie, regular ar15 or ar pistol)

If it is a factory SBR then you don't have to. It was manufactured as an sbr from the get go so it's a different deal.

Indent has a 4-4.5 week wait. That stinks when you're waiting on it before to send paperwork. Then again, what is another month to at least a 9mo wait for an individual form 1.

Indent has a 4-4.5 week wait. That stinks when you're waiting on it before to send paperwork. Then again, what is another month to at least a 9mo wait for an individual form 1.

Supposedly efile is a lot quicker. You can have the lower engraved while you're waiting on your stamp.

If you live in the DFW area, they are open at night and will engrave it while you wait. But you have to make an appointment. It is worth the trip! They have so much neat stuff. They build silencers, work on night vision equipment, and do custom work for LE and others, and there are cool firearms all over the place.