• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Entry level 1911 choices

callen3615

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Peidmont, NC
Hi, I am settled on getting a 1911, 45 of course. I borrowed a buddies and I love it. Its not a great model, cheap Philippines mfg, gi style. I really dont need all the bells and whistles but I would have to have better sights and grip safety than a GI model. I have looked at the SA loaded and the Ruger SR1911, I have also looked at Sig 1911s and S&W 1911s. I would honestly love the ruger if I could find one. It will take me at least 3 months to save up the cash for one so I could wait for the Ruger if its coming back. Any idea when shops will get them back in stock? The only concerns I have about the ruger is either a price increase or their CS. I have heard great things about Springfields CS and will probably get one if I am talked out of the Ruger, but Id like an all USA handgun.

Thanks

Re: Entry level 1911 choices

Check out these manufactures and find a pistol in your price range. Buy once, cry once. Until you buy another and another. There is no shortage of 1911 manufactures. Springfield and kimber has excelent customer service. I haven't deal with any of the others. But I am sure some other members will chime in with their experiences. Can't go wrong with a colt also.
Colt -- USA

SW -- USA (external extractor)

Kimber -- USA

Fusion -- USA

Brown -- USA

Wilson -- USA

Nighthawk -- USA

Baer -- USA

Remington -- USA

Sig -- USA manufactured

STI -- USA on all but one gun, the Spartan which is assembled in the Philippines

Springfield -- assembled in USA with frame roughed out in Brazil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7.62DAV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Springfield -- assembled in USA with frame roughed out in Brazil </div></div>

Wrong. Most Springfields (all but the most expensive ones) are completely made in Brazil.

My suggestion is the STI Spartan unless you're willing to spend at least $1200

Not really a entry level, but it has a lot on it most people usually add later on. I bought a Springfield TRP year ago and have been very pleased with it.

Only thing I did change was the FLGR and went with the GI-styled recoil plug and guide so it's easier to take apart without tools.

Cut

I have to agree with the Spartan. After I purchased mine, my father and a good friend of mine went and bought their own after a range session with it.

I was going to buy a S&W E-Series Bobtail which sell here for $1100 + tax. Then I ended up spending $499 + tax for an American Classic II full size and I think I will get one of their Amigo's. Here is a review of a FIRESTORM which is the same gun as mine.

http://www.gunblast.com/Firestorm-1911Deluxe.htm

Scroll down to Post #15 to see a picture of mine with new grips.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=668647

40gt

PS: Note in the review how accurate they are right out of the box.

Here is the American Classic II web site:

http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com/forumsii/forum.php

Rock Island Armory is another good one for more of an entry level 1911.

I would go sti, or sig for an entry level 1911 if you can come up with a little more cash I would just go with the Trojan from sti also.

Thanks guys. Im surprised no one has said springfield. And no one has commented on the ruger, I guess its alittle early for that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys. Im surprised no one has said springfield. And no one has commented on the ruger, I guess its alittle early for that. </div></div>

Alrighty... I'll mention Springfield. I currently have 5. A base GI model, one step up with a Mil-Spec, my target 9mm and my work in progress Loaded model. For #5, I have a EMP in 9mm.

Aside from my collector Colt and one Kimber, S/A has been VERY good to me. Customer service is second to none. And... Most days, I'm betting my life on one. Springfield.... Ya... You could say I like em!
wink.gif

My vote is for the SA loaded. I've had mine for about 5 years and it's been great, especially for the price.

I have a Para Ord GI Expert got it off bud's guns for less then 500. It is a great entry level 1911

I started with a colt gold cup. After a year, I sold it and bought a les Baer. That was 17 years ago and it is still my favorite pistol. I have not found a reason to acquire another 1911 although I did pick up an STI eagle when we got a new president.

Like has been said many times, if you aren't going to spend significant $, go STI spartan. A lot of gun for the money. Go to Dawson precision.

Cut- You forgot the Dan Wesson; made by CZ. Not all of SA pistols are completed in Brazil. The TRP is hand finished in the US.

2brothers641- Rock Island no longer manufactures 1911's they stopped production to concentrate on the AR market.

cpt obvious- I bought a TRP. Great pistol and they have OUTSTANDING customer service.

Down Zero- Not all of SA pistols are completed in Brazil. The TRP is hand finished in the US.

cut- sorry didn't mean to assign that to you.

I paid just over 1200 out the door for my TRP. Cost depends on where you live and how much the local dealer takes for mark up.

Good luck on this, a very personal decision.

Springfield MC Operator or TRP.
Operator if you want a rail
TRP if you do not.

I have had A trp a brown a Baer now an sti lawman all were great. Just depends on what kinda $ u wanna part with

There are a lot of fans of the STI Spartan on this board, and at that price point, the Spartan is tough to beat. Springfield's mid-tier lineup is very strong, but that's also a few hundred bucks over what the Spartan offers. It all depends on your budget. I've had a Springfield Lightweight Operator for two years now and have enjoyed it. Put some aftermarket G10 grips on it and it purrs for IDPA.

There is a pretty substantial price difference between the STI Spartan (made in the Phillipines?) and the STI Trojan (made in the USA). Are you paying more for the US assembly, or are there actual quality differences in the parts used on the two guns?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gjantzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a pretty substantial price difference between the STI Spartan (made in the Phillipines?) and the STI Trojan (made in the USA). Are you paying more for the US assembly, or are there actual quality differences in the parts used on the two guns?</div></div>

IIRC, the Spartan's are assembled in house at STI. Just the frame is made in the Philippines.

Base model Springfield GI and overtime make adjustments/upgrades.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IowaNoMoreSocal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Base model Springfield GI and overtime make adjustments/upgrades. </div></div>

I was thinking about that too but I dont know how you would change the sights...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IowaNoMoreSocal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Base model Springfield GI and overtime make adjustments/upgrades. </div></div>

I was thinking about that too but I dont know how you would change the sights... </div></div>

You wouldn't without gunsmith work that would cost more than the gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cumnzjarhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Down Zero- Not all of SA pistols are completed in Brazil. The TRP is hand finished in the US. </div></div>

The TRP is what I meant by "all but the highest priced models." The EMP, Professional, and custom shop guns are supposedly made in the USA as well if you want to add to your list. All cost at least twice the budget for this thread, some much more than that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had my eye on the loaded but the STI spartan is 100 dollars cheaper.... </div></div>

The loaded does have ambie safeties and night sights if that's worth it to you. It also has a fixed rear sight versus the STI's adjustable.

Personally I would not carry a gun with adjustable sights but I do have them on a few of my guns that I shoot mostly in competition.

Im set on the spartan but Id really like to know how difficult it would be to change out the sights later. Anyone changed out the rear or even both sights on a spartan?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But I could swap out the rear STI sight without a gunsmith correct? </div></div>

If you did not want the adjustable you could replace it with one from Harrison Design which is made specifically to fit the bomar sight cut.

Entry level/cost effective option: find a used SA. My local gunshop always seem to have some great values, with pre-owned guns with very little use.

A quick comparision between the SA basic model (forged/labelled with "Brazil") and the TRP+ models (marked USA):

The basic model is a solid, very functional gun. When you know what features you want, you can send it to a qualified gunsmith to upgrade it (Option #1). In fact, my basic model got the full treatment when Kurt Wickmann was working (met him at Novak's in the mid-90's before he struck out on his own). It is my favorite M1911.

The TRP has a "matched" slide to frame fit due to a proprietary method. The slide/frame fit is superb, and tighter than the version made in Brazil. When you compare the two guns side by side, you can see that they are made very differently, and explains the extra cost of the TRP+ models. The initial cost of the TRP series is higher, but can be selected to have the features you want (and probably lower overall cost compared to Option #1).

Good luck with your quest!

Have a SA TRP and SA Loaded. Gte the Loaded and never look back. You will not be sorry at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cumnzjarhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2brothers641- Rock Island no longer manufactures 1911's they stopped production to concentrate on the AR market.
</div></div>
I'm pretty sure you are thinking Rock River Arms. RIA is still alive and well in the 1911 market. A well made RIA 1911 GI can be had for under $400 and with bells and whistles you are only looking at $450-500. Mine (total $510 invested) just gets better with age.
IMG_1045.jpg

Well Im pretty much set on the spartan. Only apprehension is the non ramped barrel. I know nothing about 1911s, kinda why I want one, can this be replaced? Is it worth it?

Now all I have to figure out whether I should go 45 acp or 9mm...

Don't be afraid of having a non-ramped barrel. On steel framed 1911's it's not an issue.

If it's your first 1911 you gotta get the .45

Springfield has a GI model made in USA, usually about $100 more than the GI from Brazil. Will have NM stamped on frame with US city, state.

Para makes a decent 1911 as well, I'd sure take one over a RIA. Think they're made here in the US.

Ruger would be a good one to wait for, haven't heard anything bad about them. Sig would be the only one I'd trust with an external extractor. I'd stay away from S&W, some have had great success with their 1911's, but I've seen lots more reports of failures. They've got more work to do with learning how to fit the external extractor before I'd be a buyer.

Look at STI, the bottom model has a frame from the Phillipeans, but they have models made all in the US. AFAIK, all the small parts are made/fitted in Texas.

You can always get an entry level Kimber for around $800- $900....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But I could swap out the rear STI sight without a gunsmith correct? </div></div>

If you did not want the adjustable you could replace it with one from Harrison Design which is made specifically to fit the bomar sight cut. </div></div>

Pretty sure the Spartans have a LPA rear cut, not a Bomar. Either way, the Spartan is the best bang for the buck when it comes to 1911s.

You would be well advised to research Dan Wesson before you make a purchase. If you are spending in the $1000 range you will be hard pressed to find a better option.

Start reading and you will find few people that have negative opinions on them.

The RZ-45 Heritage is a fantastic pistol. It would make a great first 1911.

DSC00362.jpg

sti rear sites can be changed out with a mallet and a drift as can the front site. Why no adjustable site for carry?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aloreman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why no adjustable site for carry?</div></div>

They break. I went through four sets of adjustable sights back when I started shooting IDPA with my 1911. The rear blade would invariably break off. And this wasn't even doing one-handed weapon manipulations where I was racking the slide using the rear sight.

—Andreas

I had a friend recommend trying a Sig 1911. I reluctantly bought a Carry Nitron (Commander Sized). I could not be happier with it's performance. It's ran 100% with 230 and 185 ball, several 185, 230, 200+P and 230+P hollowpoints fired from various magazine manufactures. I really put it to the test and surprisingly performed beyone my expectations! The trigger is not too bad either. This might not be for everyone but I feel it's a pretty darn good pistol, especially for the money!

I also hear the Ruger SR-1911 is quiet a good pistol, may just go down that road and find out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magstang1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You would be well advised to research Dan Wesson before you make a purchase. If you are spending in the $1000 range you will be hard pressed to find a better option.

</div></div>

+1!! but I didn't realize they had a model at $1,000. Most of their models I see at the $1,500 mark. I'd still definately take one over a Kimber at that level, even at the $1,000 level.

I just bought my first 1911 a couple of months ago . I searched for weeks and found a very nice like new Springfield TRP with the light rail and bull barrel. i got it for 1120 on gunbroker. came with 3 mags the holster and case. watched everyday and got a nib crimson trace laser on here for 150 bucks. i am in search of the sweet deal on a nib Surefire X300 next =) and a drop down leg holster in mulitcam. Buy once cry once i held many 1911's and just thought the springfield TRP was right for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OldGuardShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought my first 1911 a couple of months ago . I searched for weeks and found a very nice like new Springfield TRP with the light rail and bull barrel. i got it for 1120 on gunbroker. came with 3 mags the holster and case. watched everyday and got a nib crimson trace laser on here for 150 bucks. i am in search of the sweet deal on a nib Surefire X300 next =) and a drop down leg holster in mulitcam. Buy once cry once i held many 1911's and just thought the springfield TRP was right for me. </div></div>

It sounds like what you have is a TRP Operator.