• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Entry level long range scope recommendations

funtogununger

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2014
Good Evening,

I have pouring over this website and others in search of a scope that meets my wants. No matter which way I begin to look, i end up lost and looking in a different direction. Here is what i would like to have on my scope for a .308. I plan to use it for deer hunting as well as target shooting out to 800yds.

zoom from as low as 3 to as high as 16. this is flexible, but i don't want fixed power
30mm tube
40-50mm lens
FFP
MIL/MIL
1/4moa clicks preferred
LESS than $450, i want to give this a go and then spend the big bucks when i decide what i really want

I realize this is hard to put together but I believe it can be done. Millet was the only one i found with some decent reviews that fits the bill. The weight was of some concern though.

Any help would be great! Thank You.

I have looked for the same thing in a scope for months. Midwayusa has a BSA tactical scope that is only offered through Midway, also primary arms has a ffp scope around $250. I don't have experience with either. I think that's about all you will find with ffp, in that magnification and under $400. After all the research I've done, I decided to spend a bit more and go with the SWFA 3x15, just waiting to find one for less than full retail. Good luck.

The only FFP I know of in that price range is Falcon optics .

Your options are limited in the price range of under $450 in FFP

Check out the used forums and you will possibly find what your looking for. I would save up a little more and get into a Vortex PST. I really enjoy the Viper HS-T 4-16x44 though its a second focal plane.

Find a viper pst second hand or a demo unit for that little bit extra it's one of the best budget scopes out there. Then upgrade to something premium later if you wish

Your requirements seem confused. You say you want a mil/mil scope, but then say you prefer 1/4 MOA clicks. Not sure what you meant by that, but a little more research may be in order to truly understand what you want. At that price range wanting a variable scope, with mil/mil reticle/clicks and FFP, you're pretty limited. I've got a Primary Arms 4-14 FFP mil/mil scope that I ran on an M1a for a while and now resides on my 22 trainer. It's been pretty awesome for the price. It's nowhere the quality of a higher end optic, but for the price its been robust and has been repeatable. The Falcon seems to have good reviews but I have no experience with it.

If a reliable FFP scope existed for 400$ everyone on this site would have one.

Either budget a bit more money or settle for an SWFA fixed power scope. The SWFA makes a good backup scope, or scope for a rimfire rifle for when you get tired of it on your 308.

A used one of these scopes, if you can find one, would be about the best variable power for 400$

Vortex Viper HS Tactical Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 5-15x 44mm Side Focus

Last edited:
Entry level long range scope recommendations

What he said......

Seriously though, I was in your shoes about 3 years ago and I ended up doubling my initial budget to fullfill my criteria. I would say there are three avenues that you could pursue at this point.
1. Pony up more money and keep all your criteria as they are.
2.Change to a fixed power
3. Keep all other criteria and go with something SFP.

I know, I know, #3 isn't want you wanted to hear, but let me explain. Just recently I was able to stretch the legs on my rifle past my home range's max of 300 yards. This was on known distance targets so I had noqq need to range the targets via the reticle. I also prefered to use the turrets on the scope rather than the holdovers on the reticle so my FFP reticle really served no purpose at all. On top of that I shot paper at 1K where the increasing tickness of my FFP reticle seemed like a hinderance. Chances are you own or will own a laser rangefinder and that you'll also use your turrets to adjust to elevation. Now if you plan on shooting at unknow distance targets and want to learn the field craft of ranging with a reticle or plan to use the reticle for holdover and don't want the hassle of making sure your at max power disregard this comment.

That being said I know that there are many shooters here much more expierenced than me that will disagree. I'm just giving you the perspective of a pretty green LR shooter that HAD to have a FFP reticle and now I'm not so sure. Maybe I'll change my mind but I just wanted to bring this point up to you in the event it hadn't crossed your mind.

Take a look at SWFA's used and demo scopes. You may find a great deal there that will get you what you want. Also keep in mind that good glass seems to hold its value pretty well. So if you do splurge on the glass and find out that this isn't your thing you could probably sell if for little if any loss assuming you take care of your kit.

Good luck in your pursuit and let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
My recommendation would be to look for a Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12 with the g2dmr. It's the next best thing to the hdmr. I use it on my savage 10p for plinking out to 850 regularly. You'll absolutely fall in love with the reticle. I found myself hardly ever dialing even at maximum effective range.

This scope retails for around $800 I think. I found it used for $600 in like new condition if you can stretch just a little, you might find yourself not needing to upgrade for quite some time.

It's mil based g2dmr reticle, mil turrets, side focus/parallax, FFP, variable mag from 3-12 power. Turrets have a very crisp click.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was confused on the MIL/MIL but 1/4MOA adjustments too, but thats already been processed so i wont go back there...

Listen to what Jeo556 is saying...do you absolutely positively NEED a FFP optic? There are plenty SFP optics that meet the rest of your criteria. I just grabbed a Burris MTAC 3.5x10 with their G2B reticle and absolutely love it! Burris 3.5-10X-42mm MTAC G2B Mil-Dot Reticle Rifle Scope FREE S&H 200454. Burris Rifle Scopes. take an honest look at something like that for a "entry" level optic... 1/10 mil adjustable turrets. I thought I would hate it, but the turrets are capped. Good for transportation from and to the range. When you hit the field, remove the caps and there are finger adjustable turrets just like the big named "tactical" scopes.

The Midway BSA 4x-14 Tactical is the one BSA that is a decent scope. But I have heard it isn't actually made by BSA, so that may be why it is not as bad as the other BSA scopes. :)

BSA Tactical Mil-Mil Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4-14x 44mm Side Focus 1/10

But personally, I would save up some more money and get a decent scope that will really work for you. Milletts are not in the same league as the next step up in scopes.

Thank you for all of the feedback! so it sounds like i should make a small sacrifice and go with the viper. this seemed to be a common theme when looking around on forums. if i were to fill my criteria, what would be a logical choice and for how much? Remember, i want to keep this on the lower end of the budget. Thanks!

I too would recommend the Vortex and to reconsider if you really NEED FFP. FFP serves a purpose and suits some applications, but not all, especially for an "entry level" application.

Your requirements seem confused. You say you want a mil/mil scope, but then say you prefer 1/4 MOA clicks. Not sure what you meant by that, but a little more research may be in order to truly understand what you want. At that price range wanting a variable scope, with mil/mil reticle/clicks and FFP, you're pretty limited. I've got a Primary Arms 4-14 FFP mil/mil scope that I ran on an M1a for a while and now resides on my 22 trainer. It's been pretty awesome for the price. It's nowhere the quality of a higher end optic, but for the price its been robust and has been repeatable. The Falcon seems to have good reviews but I have no experience with it.

+1 on the Primary Arms 4-14 FFP if you have to stay on budget. I have 800 rounds through mine on a .308, have had it on and off several times and have had no issues. It doesnt compare clarity-wise to my HDMR but i actually prefer the standard mil-dot to the H58 reticle in the HDMR...and the PA is quite a bit lighter. It has all the features you want (FFP, 44mm obj, .1 mrad adj-not moa, mil/mil). And i have no problem seeing moa sized targets at 1000, or hitting them. At $230, a better FFP scope can't be had in my opinion.

Had i had more to spend initially, then i agree with the Vortex advice as that is what i would have gone with...