• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Night Vision Entry level optic for preditor Hunting.?

btstrohfus

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2017
Looking to spend +- $1500 on either a NV or thermal optic for hunting coyotes and other critters of the night. dont even know where to start. thanks

Last edited:
i do already have a fairly nice optic on one of my ar-15 rifles, so i was also wondering about the clip on style nv devices compared to a full nv scope. thanks

Hum, that's a tough one ... $1,500 ...

==

On the NV side ... maybe a gen2 CO-x and a crappy illuminator ?

==
On the thermal side ... maybe a used HD19A and a white light on the rifle?
See the critter with the thermal spotter, then on the white light and shoot quick!

Do you have to set your max closer to $2,000 before you find a quality scope or clip on unit?

Note most thermal clipons only suppot about 2x to 4x of magnification on the day scope. A few thermal clipons in the $10k plus space support more ... But those average over $15k in price.

The reason is thermals are digital devices and have TV screens on the back that we look at. If you zoom in on the TV screen, you loose resolution fast. You loose 75% of your pixels for every 2x of magnification. Things fuzz up quickly.

Now if you want NV ... The Armasight CO-x gen2 QS is decent ... and with an illuminator like the Luna ELIR-3 will get the job done.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Armasight-Nightvision-Clip-On-X-Riflescope-System/1617959.uts

Stay away from the SD unit.

==
Luna ELIR-3

https://www.amazon.com/Luna-Optics-Extended-Illuminator-LN-ELIR-3/dp/B0056DEKG6

Reactions: kansas
i have seen lots of good reviews on the sightmark photon xt. I see they now offer a newer model the photon rt. has anyone used this newer model, or even the older models? the price of these look appealing, just wondering if they work.

I have not used them. I know three hunters who have. They reported they worked out to around 100yds. They added T-20 or equivalent illuminators to their setups. But they all sold them and upgraded to thermals, eventually.

I think I’m putting up my Gen 2+ HD CO-X with manual gain up for sale for around $1600. Don’t quote me on that because I haven’t checked the market on them. I had it in front of a Vortex 2.5-10 and I shot a few coyotes at 200 yards with a Torch Pro illuminator. Max was about 7x before it was blurry. Now you might have better luck with a better day scope and better illuminator like the Luna.

Here you go

Military grade, amazing reliability and performance, gen 3 ITT OMNI IV tube, very compatible across firearms using Badger or Spuhr mounts. $1350-$2300 depending on options.

I'd stay away from all of the non military grade clip ons.

Here you go

Military grade, amazing reliability and performance, gen 3 ITT OMNI IV tube, very compatible across firearms using Badger or Spuhr mounts. $1350-$2300 depending on options.

I'd stay away from all of the non military grade clip ons.

I agree, you waste away your money on cheap stuff. Military grade units or nothing