• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Entry level "tactical" optics

summy

Private
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2014
Cambria County, PA
Hello everyone, I'm new here and have a fairly general question. I'm currently planning on putting together a long range rig in 6.5 creedmoor and would like some suggestions on optics. Im planning on eventually pushing this system to about as far as I can and at least for the first rig would like to keep price to 1000 or less. My current thought is the vortex viper pst 6-24x50 with the ebr-2c mrad reticle. I like the idea of the horus style reticles for the ease of holds and almost never having to dial for anything, but I'm open to suggestions. So let me know what sub$1000 optics you recommend. Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone, I'm new here and have a fairly general question. I'm currently planning on putting together a long range rig in 6.5 creedmoor and would like some suggestions on optics. Im planning on eventually pushing this system to about as far as I can and at least for the first rig would like to keep price to 1000 or less. My current thought is the vortex viper pst 6-24x50 with the ebr-2c mrad reticle. I like the idea of the horus style reticles for the ease of holds and almost never having to dial for anything, but I'm open to suggestions. So let me know what sub$1000 optics you recommend. Thanks in advance!

Welcome, I see this is your first post. There are countless threads on this forum discussing every single scope available. You can google any scope followed by snipershide and you will get plenty of results to read about.

If I were just starting, in your shoes, I would buy a used Bushnell LRHS in the optics for sale section. Plenty serviceable now, better glass than you're going to get on anything else in that range, and it can pull double duty as your hunting scope. Save your money, develop as a shooter, and when your ready buy a 5-25 tactical scope. You aren't going to lose a bunch of money reselling/replacing your scope.

I give a long hard look at the Bushnell Elite Tactical FFP G2DMR 3.5-21X50. Last time I looked there were a few in the classified section under 1K.

I'd recommend the vortex, I've been using the PST for years, in both the 4-16 and the 6-24, they are great optics to start with, lots of bang for your buck and they work. another option is the new Burris XTR II scopes, they haven't been around as long, but I've gotten good reports so far.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll definitely check out your recommendations but for now I think I'm still sticking with the PST.

Midway USA has several Bushnell scopes (good ones) one sale. Familiarize yourself with the market price before looking for used, far tooooooo often some folks believe the value of something they've owned makes it more valuable than if you were to purchase an identical product new! Maybe because they are a famous shooter, and it will continue to rise in value, as they were once the owner, or some other nonsense. Welcome aboard.
$1,029.00

Out of Stock, Backorder OK

Add to Cart

Bushnell Elite Tactical Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x 50mm Side Focus 1/10 MIL Adjustments First Focal Illuminated Mil-Dot Reticle Matte
Bushnell Elite Tactical Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x 50mm Side Focus 1/10 MIL Adjustments First Focal Illuminated Mil-Dot Reticle Matte
5.0 Read 2 Reviews

FREE SHIPPING

With Order of $25 or More

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll definitely check out your recommendations but for now I think I'm still sticking with the PST.

Actually one review I have read on the Burris XTR II vs the PST the user liked the Burris. You cant beat the Burris warranty...period

I have been pleased with my sightron 2.5-17.5 S-Tac.
It is a SFP scope but well made with an impressive magnification range.
Sightron make a very good 6-24 FFP scope that is in your price range, they are an excellent buy with very good support.
The Bushnell 6-24 elite tactical would be an excellent choice, you could also check out the weaver 4-20X, though it is limited in adjustment range and I'm not certain if they have matching reticle/adjustments in that model.
The 6-24 PST has been mentioned.

First of all, thanks for the welcomes. Second, I'll give you a little of what I'm thinking as far as usage. I would like to get into practical/tactical matches eventually, but other than that I would like to be shooting around two MOA steel hopefully out to 1200. That being said, I would like to keep reticle and adjustments the same, I.E. mil/mil, MOA/MOA. First focal if the magnification is up toward 20 on the max end depending on where a mil on the reticle is actually one mil. What I have now is a Mueller 4.5-15 mildot where 10x is one mil, thats probably about where I would want to keep it if I can. I don't really feel that I need a huge amount of magnification either, 24x is probably the absolute max I would consider even with FFP. Thoughts?

After much research and being in your exact shoes about a year ago I opted for the Sighgtron SIII 8-32x56. I also opted for the FCH reticle (Fine Cross Hair) as my main intent was fixed 300 to 600 yd bench and prone target. I got my SIII off the 'Bay for $790 and very happy with the glass, the only issue is when my barrel heats up and I get some mirage, but other than that love the optics and the price was short money, SIII's have great reviews.

When I made this same trek a bit over a year ago, I opted for the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x FFP.

LOVE it. My wife and I used it out to 1200 yards at Dan Newberry's BangSteel course last summer.

Sport Optics gives a VERY nice discount to SH members, just give them a call.

The other scopes to look at are the Burris XTRII. We just got some of the 3-15x50mm in stock.
cstactical

burris-3-15-50mm-illum-riflescope-201030.jpg

I didn't see the Falcon Menace mentioned yet, in my humble opinion one of the best scopes I've ever used for like 400 bucks or so.